+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Count to Infinity using Pictures: The Next 500 Edition

re: O/T Count to Infinity using Pictures: The Next 500 Edition

ITN news at 5.45

Robus, you are probably aware that I love aeroplanes! Going through the aircrew reallocation process on recovery from being a passenger in a car accident, I wanted to go on Phantoms which were just entering RAF service at the time. Sadly, I did not have the minimum required flying hours or general level of experience at the time. I would have loved to have operated on them!

I have never experienced anything like the amazing, unique 'air-splitting' power-sound of Concorde, having just taken off from Heathrow. When the subject crops up in conversation, it appears most people absolutely loved it - I certainly did!

The link below does not do it justice because you don't get the physical vibrations that accompanied the noise, but still impressive nevertheless! - view external link

Fascinating link above to pic 543, thanks Wokes, made for great reading!

Turbo Tarling T-33

Wokes, got a look at Concorde at an air show in the mid-1970s, may have been at Dallas-Fort Worth Airport. It did a pass at supersonic speed. The boom was as near the sound of Thor's hammer as I hope to hear!

I know of your background and interest in aviation, which I share. I hold a private pilot's license and have a few hundred hours in single-engine Cessnas, Pipers, and Beechcrafts. I haven't flown in ten years. At this point it's probably safe to say that I've given it up. Although...I could see myself getting into ultralights some day.

Further to Tundra's T-33, this was the trainer version of the F-80 Shooting Star. An iconic aircraft, it was one of the first plastic model kits that I built.

Not to be confused with the superficially similar Northrop F-89 Scorpion shown below:

The tailplane gives it away.

Robus, I have to say that I have not experienced a Concorde sonic boom - it must be ear shattering and awesome. I have however, experienced a flight in an ultralight with a BA pilot at the controls - a bit like donning a motorised leaf! It was quit a windy day and after the final landing we had to taxi in and tie it down to concrete blocks. Brilliant landing by the pilot though in a near-maximum crosswind - he just held it off and held it off until the right moment and then eased it down onto the deck with absolute perfection!

"He's Tall and Dark and Handsome" by Peggy English. Peggy English was her stage, her real was Jane Gray, she was a jazz singer from the 1920s.

I hope you're not turning into a 'tractor boy', Gav!

Italian aircraft carrier Cavour. Penant number 550.

Chain of Japanese Sweet Shops:

USS Evans was a Fletcher Class Destroyer which was heavily damaged by a Japanese kamikaze aircraft on 11 May 1945. 32 of her crew were lost.
    Stricken 28 November 1945.not repaired
    Sold 11 February 1947 and broken up for scrap.

Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)