+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 153 of 349 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155163203253 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,530 of 3487

Thread: O/T DDay for Brexit..well sort of...

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    Do people actually believe this?
    Why do you think they would lie?

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    Do people actually believe this?
    Probably more than someone working in the finance sector I'd imagine .

Friday 29th March 2019 @ 22.55pm outside 10 Downing Street .

https://youtu.be/aYR3N-5rPJQ

The CBI and the TUC are part of the establishment who forced mass immigration on us against the majority's will.

Meanwhile the Armed Forces leaders are congregating in a nuclear bunker in preparation for the armageddon of a no deal Brexit !! Project fear continues relentlessly .

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    The May deal is an unsuccessful compromise. That's why it has been so heavily defeated. A democratic handling of this is to find consensus by the compromise. This has clearly failed.

Further compromise does not hang around just the SU. It also has to involve refocused discussion on the SM, FoM, ECJ. For me I would be more willing to compromise on restricting FoM to get as close to friction free trade as possible as well as compromise on ECJ arrangements. Those are the areas that I would like to see greater compromise in return for friction free trade.

GF would not compromise with me on this, nor would the more hard line conservatives. Nor would you. But I am more interested in more moderate conservatives that would be willing to compromise on this. If there are not enough to form a majority with the other parties, to make for a greater majority than May's deal, then so be it, we exit with may's compromise. It's the not exploring this option that causes resentment.

Of course the EU would need to approve this but they have made it clear that they would favour this type of compromise more than May's and an extension would be granted for this to occur. I don't mind the damage that an extension would cause as the benefits would outweigh them in my opinion in getting improved trade arrangements.
    Setting aside my suspicion that you are once again conflating the withdrawal agreement and the future relationship, I have to ask what it is that you are smoking? It’s clearly seriously heavy stuff.

I see that you now want to move away from Labour’s SU (Freudian slip?) proposal and are now looking to ‘refocused discussion’ on the SM, FoM, ECJ, no doubt in the hope of doing some of your ‘focus trading'. Why? What are you trying to achieve and what compromises do you have in mind? May’s deal, risky though it is, ends Freedom of Movement immediately. It then involves a two year transition period in which to negotiate a future relationship with both parties committing to the creation of a comprehensive free trade agreement. Should that not be completed within two years or other arrangements put in place to achieve the same end, the backstop is triggered and we remain in a Customs Union (which is apparently what Labour wants, unless May proposes it, one must assume) to keep the Irish border open.

Why do you want to reopen FoM as part of a withdrawal deal? What are you hoping to achieve by it? If you want Freedom of Movement, a Customs Union arrangement and a Single Market arrangement then the best way to do that is to remain in the EU given that is essentially what that would amount to.

You will struggle to find any Tory who would compromise on Freedom of Movement, a Customs Union arrangement or a Single Market arrangement. Those who would have done so joined TIG a couple of weeks ago (save, perhaps, Dominic Grieve) and we know that Corbett won’t even tolerate being in the same room as them let alone do a bit of ‘focus trading’ with them. The Tories won’t compromise in that manner because to do so would fly in the face of the manifesto that they stood upon and because they have the good sense to know that it would be seen as a massive betrayal by a significant section of the electorate and would be electoral suicide.

Yes, the EU would love to have us in a Norway style deal in which we accept FoM accept EU rules without having a say in making them the jurisdiction of the ECJ and the requirement to contribute to the EU budget. That doesn’t make it a good idea and there is a zero chance of Parliament passing it.

I’m afraid that you and a significant proportion of Parliament are trying to fight a battle that has already been fought and lost. The electorate voted to leave. We now need to do that.

I’m disappointed that you don’t want to do a bit of ‘focus trading’ with gf and me with a view to reaching a compromise. Doesn’t that rather fly in the face of your belief that it is all that Parliament has to do to make everything ok?
    Last edited by KerrAvon; 21-03-2019 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    This pretty much sums it up for me:

TUC and CBI issue joint statement saying UK faces 'national emergency' and May must embrace plan B

Frances O’Grady, the general secretary of the TUC, and Carolyn Fairbairn, the director general of the CBI, have written a joint open letter to Theresa May saying that the country is facing a “national emergency” over Brexit and that she should adopt a “plan B”.

It is very unusual for the countries main employers’ organisation and the body representing trade unions to unite in this way with such a strongly-worded message to government.

Here it is in full.

Together we represent millions of workers and tens of thousands of businesses. It is on their behalf that we are writing to you to ask you to change your Brexit approach.

Our country is facing a national emergency. Decisions of recent days have caused the risk of no deal to soar. Firms and communities across the UK are not ready for this outcome. The shock to our economy would be felt by generations to come.

We ask you to take three steps to protect the jobs, rights and livelihoods of ordinary working people.

First, avoiding no deal is paramount. Businesses and employees alike need to see their government clearly acknowledge the reckless damage no deal would cause and recommit itself to avoiding this outcome.

Second, securing an extension has become essential. 88% of CBI members and a majority in parliament agree this is better than no deal. But at the same time an extension must genuinely allow a way forwards, and be long enough for a deal to be agreed.

Third, ‘the current deal or no deal’ must not be the only choice. A Plan B must be found - one that protects workers, the economy and an open Irish border, commands a parliamentary majority, and is negotiable with the EU. A new approach is needed to secure this – whether through indicative votes or another mechanism for compromise.

We cannot overstate the gravity of this crisis for firms and working people. We request an urgent meeting with you to discuss our concerns and hear your response.
    Head in the sand time. Parliament has voted for a no deal exit that is currently set to take place on 29th March and is unlikely to be delayed beyond 22nd May. Perhaps these people would be better off spending their time asking Labour to accept that they aren’t going to get a General Election, to stop playing games and to vote for the May deal.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    The CBI and the TUC are part of the establishment who forced mass immigration on us against the majority's will.
    Setting aside your rather wacky way of putting it, I could agree that both bodies have an essentially remain agenda. They too are trying to fight a battle that has already been fought and lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbertop View Post
    Meanwhile the Armed Forces leaders are congregating in a nuclear bunker in preparation for the armageddon of a no deal Brexit !! Project fear continues relentlessly .
    I can hear the Luftwaffe above the clouds as we speak Timber .

Why shouldn’t they?

Page 153 of 349 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155163203253 ... LastLast