+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Match Thread vs. Woking 05.12.20 [NL]

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Ive had a few days off suffering with fatigue....
    Understandable if you watched the game in midweek, two in four days is a lot to cope with! On that subject, yesterday Charlie and Stall mentioned at least three times that Woking playing a day earlier than us in midweek might be the reason for our slow start. Wouldn't this 'fatigue' thingy kick in towards the end of the game rather than in the first few minutes? When we played at Dagenham, our previous game was on the Friday, while they played 120 minutes on the Sunday. Surely that means they should have been severely fatigued in the second half in the game against us, but instead they improved as the match progressed and we were less effective. Can someone explain why that happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    My classification of fatigue in this sense is being too tired to play 90 minutes of football effectively twice a week. When did this happen? When did the human species become so fragile? I don't remember Jimmy Sirrel changing his best XI because some of them were 'fatigued'.
    Sport has changed hugely over the last twenty years Elite. The physicality of today's footballers even at our level is a world away from the Sirrel years. the days where Dave McVeigh could drink ten pints then sweat it out the next day is long gone. With the amount of foreign footballers in our top leagues, formerly league standard players have cascaded down to the tin pot leagues.
    Sportsmen are taller, faster, heavier and more heavily muscled than they used to be, train harder and more intensely. The downside is that if your body is that finely honed it breaks down more easily and requires more effort to keep at these unnatural peaks over a season.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Ive had a few days off suffering with fatigue....
    Lol. Hope you are feeling refreshed and 100% in time for you to comment when we next lose.

Quote Originally Posted by optipez View Post
    Sport has changed hugely over the last twenty years Elite.
    I understand that. I don't understand how in that time all the advances in science, medicine, nutrition etc have apparently made the human body less rather than more durable. A good club athlete can run 10K in 30 minutes, while footballers have to cover a similar amount of ground in 90 minutes. I know there is all the jumping, stretching, sprinting, tackling and so on to factor in, but I don't get how it appears to be such a massive physical challenge. Playing twice a week should be a piece of piss.

Have Notts got a strength and conditioning coach? If so I suggest contact them as they can give qualified answers.

No doubt footballers exert themselves far more over 90 mins now than 20-30 yeara ago. Players are so much faster, stronger etc and the pace of the game has increased through the decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I understand that. I don't understand how in that time all the advances in science, medicine, nutrition etc have apparently made the human body less rather than more durable. A good club athlete can run 10K in 30 minutes, while footballers have to cover a similar amount of ground in 90 minutes. I know there is all the jumping, stretching, sprinting, tackling and so on to factor in, but I don't get how it appears to be such a massive physical challenge. Playing twice a week should be a piece of piss.
    I am no expert, but maybe it's just a difference of defintion.

Layman it's feeling too tired to play.
    Sports scientist it's muscles not being at full potential.

Just guessing!

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Quite positive for you Davy 😉
    Positive

Well most importantly we got the 3 points , that keeps us in the race for promotion, as we can not afford to drop any further behind the leaders. Good win against a team that came for a draw, offered little up front , and hoping to get a lucky break
    Well done to Wooten who scored, despite missing the penelty
    Ardley raised some interesting points in the post match interview, that he changed things, in the second half, by being more direct and trying to play in their half - so Ardley does have a plan B after all

Negative

Still not killing teams off, and the game entering the closing stages, with either team still able to win, today it went our way

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    No doubt footballers exert themselves far more over 90 mins now than 20-30 yeara ago. Players are so much faster, stronger etc and the pace of the game has increased through the decades.
    Stronger? If they were stronger, surely playing twice a week would be easy. You say "Players are so much faster". That's bollox, because 28 years ago Kevin Bartlett ran 100 metres in 11.4 seconds. Who in the current Notts squad would you back to beat that?

They are stronger but the game is far faster, more impact they exert themselves more (see above) during each 90 mins. That's my suggestion for an answer but probably best asking an expert in the field.

Lol that's a very funny question.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    They are stronger but the game is far faster, more impact they exert themselves more (see above) during each 90 mins. That's my suggestion for an answer but probably best asking an expert in the field.

Lol that's a very funny question.
    I don't think the game is far faster, in fact the tippy tappy stuff many managers seem to favour today actually makes it slower on occasions.

I don't know what you mean by "more impact", but in the physical sense it's much less than it used to be. The lack of really robust physical challenges is another reason why it should be easier to play twice a week than it used to be.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast