+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- England women

Quote Originally Posted by BJPIE View Post
    England were awful I'm afraid. Lucy Bronze dreadful. Mary Earps stopped it being a spanking.
    Credit to Spain though I thought they were excellent, tactically miles ahead of England today.
    You can only imagine that the nerves/occasion got to Eng. That's all I can put it down to. You know what they reminded me of today? Those early Eng women's teams who weren't particularly good at the basics of the game at all.

I guess with players like Beth Mead, Fran Kirby and Leah Williamson missing from the squad England did well to get to the Final. But they came a poor second today. They didn't get to grips with Spain's style of play and never found their own passing game. Mary Earps was the stand out player for England and if they'd checked with VAR, that penalty would have had to be taken again.

Lucy Bronze dreadful haha, BJPIE I am guessing you are basing this on one action which didn't come off. She would walk into a world XI.

We were certainly second best on the day, but today's game proved that as soon as the women's game got competitive, they would be just as bad as the men regarding, feigning injury and time wasting. I am quite pleased in a way that the Lionesses didn't win or we would have been drowned under comparisons with the men's game.

Quote Originally Posted by Thordardaughter View Post
    Wrong shape. Getting overrun in middle and on wings. I think James needs to come on for a bit of pace and we need to match them for numbers in midfield. C’mon Serena sort them out you’ve done it before.
    I don’t think the shape mattered in the end Spain were quicker and technically better than us
    Spain started the tippy tappy possession in men’s football and its looks like they are doing the same in Women’s football

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    No doubt Spain were the better team, but that's exactly why I think the 'abysmal' description is hard on England. The quality of the Spanish team in possession makes other teams look worse than they would against other opposition. Many a good team has looked poor against Manchester City, for example, and that's because Pep's teams are so outstanding at winning the ball and controlling games. The good news from a Notts viewpoint is that's what Luke Williams is trying to create as our identity, with considerable success to date. Many otherwise decent National League teams looked poor when they played us. I hope it continues this season.
    Fantastic post jackal2. England were far from abysmal had Hemp put away early chances we would have been in a very interesting position. Spain were fantastic by far and away the best performance I have seen from a team at this tournament. Serinas half time changes were bang on with the introduction of James and move to a back four but the early positivity of those changes were quickly nullified by the Spanish and it turned into a frustrating last 20 minutes after the peno save. Congratulations to Spain and the biggest congratulations to Womens football which has just arrived big time on the world stage. I personally enjoyed quality refs, less cheating, less time wasting and a generally positive approach to the game which despite its physical differences made the 15 or so games I saw an enjoyable watch and increased my daughters passion for the game a hell of a lot. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Proactive not Reactive View Post
    I don’t think the shape mattered in the end Spain were quicker and technically better than us
    Spain started the tippy tappy possession in men’s football and its looks like they are doing the same in Women’s football
    Agree with this - Spain have been the best team technically by a country mile at this tournament and their number 6, Aitana Bonmati, is one hell of a player. We competed but the best team clearly won. We need more dynamism and athleticism in midfield as Spain won the game in the middle of the park.

Well done to Mary Earps in goal for some terrific saves - though how that penalty wasn’t ordered retaken I’ll never know. Mind you, it’s a joke when a non-intentional handball that had zero effect on the movement of the ball is given. If it takes VAR that long to decide, it shouldn’t be awarded. Thank God we don’t have to worry about that in the EFL.

Spain better tonight by far England never got going unfortunately. How did Japan best Spain 4-0.

Quote Originally Posted by since41 View Post
    Spain better tonight by far England never got going unfortunately. How did Japan best Spain 4-0.
    Sat deep, absorbed pressure and were ruthless in transition - as I believe we have to call counterattacks/breakaway goals these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    Lucy Bronze dreadful haha, BJPIE I am guessing you are basing this on one action which didn't come off. She would walk into a world XI.

We were certainly second best on the day, but today's game proved that as soon as the women's game got competitive, they would be just as bad as the men regarding, feigning injury and time wasting. I am quite pleased in a way that the Lionesses didn't win or we would have been drowned under comparisons with the men's game.
    Merely observing she had a very poor game in a team that never got going. I don't watch too much ladies football so can only comment on today. I dont know if she would get into a world XI. Obviously not on today's showing, not just the one action ( we all seem to be using the word action now&#128513. Poor game in general, often out of position and lots of threats in behind her prior to the goal. Not quite sure about her behaviour when the penalty was awarded either.
    As an earlier poster said it could be that nerves got the better of them but having watched a very assured performance from all the team v Australia, today was poor.

I was wrong. After watching that penalty again in slow motion, there's no doubt that it was a legit and brilliant penalty save by West Bridgford's Mary Earps, who had one foot on the line until after the kick was struck. She won the Golden Gloves for being the World Cup's best goalkeeper, to go with the award she picked up at the Euros.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast