+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: ⚽ Match Thread vs. Barrow 07.10.23 [EFL L2]

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    Well it's becoming a bit of a theme and LW has had half times to get it sorted and he hasn't, so what is wrong? Focus and concentration? Being sussed out? Overconfidence? Running ourselves into the ground in the first 20 mins? Players playing beyond their natural ability? I hope LW can get to the bottom of it because drawing is one thing, poor performance is another.
    The theme is there’s an opposition that comes out for a second half that have to try and get back into a game.
    I disagree that we were poor in the second half against Swindon. They were a very good team that had nothing to lose. We saw out that second half without capitulating.
    If we’re setting the bar that every minute of every game has to be a dominating performance then we’re setting it too high IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    If we’re setting the bar that every minute of every game has to be a dominating performance then we’re setting it too high IMO.
    Exactly this. Not every performance is going to be a good one, but we’ve got used to those over the past 15 months. There are days where things just don’t flow, and then the aim has got to be to grind out a result, which is what we did yesterday. Our small squad size is going to hurt us more this season, though.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    I think it’s known as football. We need to step back and remember it’s League 2 and we have league 2 players. What happened today happens at all levels but more as you going down the leagues, players are more inconsistent. It’s made to look worse when you see 1st halves like against Swindon as that quality wasn’t a level up it was a couple of levels up in that you won’t see many L1 teams play like that.
    That said we do need another top quality CB, these guys need competition.
    We are are a League 2 club but we still have a non-league defence. A defence that was rarely the same two weeks running either. This tells me that either LW is still unsure of these non-league players but is still sticking with them or trusts them to come as good as they have at times been.

What is obvious to me is that the players confidence is becoming more fragile as the season progresses and what we need to boost it is the signing of a couple of quality defenders. This will be reflected in the morale of the team as a whole and should lead to the otherwise unexplainable p1ss-poor second half performances becoming a thing of the past and becoming as classy a showing as the first halves have been. I do hope our manager isn't being out-thought but the second halves now...

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    We are are a League 2 club but we still have a non-league defence. A defence that was rarely the same two weeks running either. This tells me that either LW is still unsure of these non-league players but is still sticking with them or trusts them to come as good as they have at times been.

What is obvious to me is that the players confidence is becoming more fragile as the season progresses and what we need to boost it is the signing of a couple of quality defenders. This will be reflected in the morale of the team as a whole and should lead to the otherwise unexplainable p1ss-poor second half performances becoming a thing of the past and becoming as classy a showing as the first halves have been. I do hope our manager isn't being out-thought but the second halves now...
    We don't have a non league defence, but we have a defence that has different qualities to most defences in this division. Most defenders in this division don't play the ball out as well as ours do. But a lot do have better natural defensive qualities. We are top of the league. Exactly how much more do you want?

Calling them non league is harsh and inaccurate. The way we play will leave any defenders vulnerable and all teams that play out make mistakes.

Just watch MOTD to see how many times teams get caught out playing out, Bournemouth lost the ball 10 times playing out against Everton.

I'd say LW isn't doing too bad

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    We don't have a non league defence, but we have a defence that has different qualities to most defences in this division. Most defenders in this division don't play the ball out as well as ours do. But a lot do have better natural defensive qualities. We are top of the league. Exactly how much more do you want?
    I don't want complacency, I want us to show the other team that we won't collapse in the second half if we are pushed.

We DO have a non-league defence composed of last year's players, where have we improved? They coped very well last year against some really poor teams but that is history, today we are letting teams back into the game.

LW improved the attack and midfield with some quality players but he now really needs to sort out the defence, including the choice of goalkeeper.

Away games in L2 are, well, a different league to last season as shown by our record: W2, D3, L2.

Three of our next four games are at home. If we can maintain that incredible home form (huge ask, of course), we will be fine picking up a point on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    Exactly this. Not every performance is going to be a good one, but we’ve got used to those over the past 15 months. There are days where things just don’t flow, and then the aim has got to be to grind out a result, which is what we did yesterday. Our small squad size is going to hurt us more this season, though.
    Why's LW so upset then?

I don't want complacency, I want us to show the other team that we won't collapse in the second half if we are pushed.

We DO have a non-league defence composed of last year's players, where have we improved? They coped very well last year against some really poor teams but that is history, today we are letting teams back into the game.

LW improved the attack and midfield with some quality players but he now really needs to sort out the defence, including the choice of goalkeeper.
    Absolute garbage.
    If we have a non league defence we’d be nowhere near being top of the league. Simple as that.
    The system we play is fundamentally based on the ability to play out from the back. On the flip side our ability to defend is massively dependant on our ability to defend high up the pitch. So it’s totally unfair to say our defence are responsible for the goals we concede and our attack for the goals we score.
    Unless you have defenders with 100% pass accuracy, you’re going to concede chances.
    It’s a risk/reward system. We’re top of the league so it’s overwhelmingly working, throughout the whole team.

Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast