+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Sam Cosgrove

Quote Originally Posted by rico94 View Post
    Anyone know how many of Joe Harper’s 199 goals were penalties?

I’m sure he doesn’t care and I would tend to agree with him.
    No, but this shows how consistently very good he was...

https://twitter.com/afcherewego/stat...948767237?s=21

Apologies if posted already, I’ve not been paying much attention lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore trout View Post
    This is just a very silly post. Ask any supporter of a non arse cheek team in Scotland whether they would rather have Cosgrove or their own no. 9 in their team.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore trout View Post
    This is just a very silly post. Ask any supporter of a non arse cheek team in Scotland whether they would rather have Cosgrove or their own no. 9 in their team.
    We all have our strengths and weaknesses.
    BUS's is obviously that he can't spot a player

Quote Originally Posted by blowupsheep View Post
    It's alright, your strength is opening up "Fishal" match threads, albeit occasionally prematurely

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    We all have our strengths and weaknesses.
    BUS's is obviously that he can't spot a player

It's alright, your strength is opening up "Fishal" match threads, albeit occasionally prematurely
    We have been over this discussion on more than one occasion now min and i have been extremely consistent and vocal since the day we signed the lad.
    Am I grateful for his goals - yes of course I am, and I've even given the lad credit now and again.
    As for being a skillful football player, best to let's just park that discussion. a newborn bambi stay's on it's feet longer than our donkey, he is lucky not be on the receiving end of numerous bookings for his obvious diving, and I ask you if a player from any of our opposition did that sh1t that the donkey does every single game against us, would you just turn a blind eye and say nothing about it, would you fk there would be screaming from the stands at the ref and the player, Cosgrove really does need to wise the fk up with the sh1t.

Anyway thanks for the appreciation of one of my strengths, and look out for the Saint Jhonstone away thread appearing live in the not too distant future.

Quote Originally Posted by blowupsheep View Post
    We have been over this discussion on more than one occasion now min and i have been extremely consistent and vocal since the day we signed the lad.
    Am I grateful for his goals - yes of course I am, and I've even given the lad credit now and again.
    As for being a skillful football player, best to let's just park that discussion. a newborn bambi stay's on it's feet longer than our donkey, he is lucky not be on the receiving end of numerous bookings for his obvious diving, and I ask you if a player from any of our opposition did that sh1t that the donkey does every single game against us, would you just turn a blind eye and say nothing about it, would you fk there would be screaming from the stands at the ref and the player, Cosgrove really does need to wise the fk up with the sh1t.
    In your opinion, the two times he went down in the box against Killie, were they dives?
    Should he have received two yellow cards?

Cosgrove was a low cost gamble.
    A young player that had the physical traits to mold into a player of value.
    Someone who cost only £20k and arguably is worth a lot more.
    Someone who has scored 37 goals in the last calendar year
    Someone who is on track to break the 20 goals barrier this season before Christmas.

You talk about giving credit, but given the turnaround in this "donkey" it merits far more from the scouts, to the coaches and even to the manager who maintained faith in the lad when some football forum members had written off.

Sure the same manager can be criticied for not playing to the lads strengths as well, before anyone throws that one in

The question surrounding Cosgrove has also got to be wondering when we might receive some serious bids for him.

Quote Originally Posted by RedStarTorphins View Post
    No, but this shows how consistently very good he was...

https://twitter.com/afcherewego/stat...948767237?s=21

Apologies if posted already, I’ve not been paying much attention lately.
    Of course he was,Harper is the best goal scorer we have ever had.

The point was some people were trying to say Cosgroves goal tally isn’t that good because a lot of them are penalties.

I don’t know how many penalties Harper took but I would presume he took a fair few.

Does that mean he never scored 199 goals because some of them were pens?

No it doesn’t because they all count.

Quote Originally Posted by rico94 View Post
    Of course he was,Harper is the best goal scorer we have ever had.

The point was some people were trying to say Cosgroves goal tally isn’t that good because a lot of them are penalties.

I don’t know how many penalties Harper took but I would presume he took a fair few.

Does that mean he never scored 199 goals because some of them were pens?

No it doesn’t because they all count.
    He famously played keepie uppie before his penalty in the 1970 cup final

The Scottish Cup Final, Hampden, April 11, 1970, and as Celtic players rage at referee Bobby Davidson for giving a penalty against them, Joe Harper waits the row out by casually playing keepie-up.

A nerve-shredding nine minutes passes between the award and the kick itself. But when it comes, the Dons striker is coolness itself slotting home to give his team the lead, which they never lose.

“That was the best penalty I ever struck,” said the man who, six years later, would again net against the Hoops to help the Dons capture the League Cup.

“I placed the ball just inside the post, exactly where I had intended to put it, and got plenty of power on my shot, too. Their goalkeeper had no chance.

“People made a lot about my messing about with the ball while I was waiting to take the kick.

“They seemed to think it might have been some sort of gamesmanship on my part.

“But I genuinely wasn’t nervous, not even as their protests dragged on and on.

“The truth is, I was a cocky so-and-so. Give me the ball 12 yards out with no defender near me and, as far as I was concerned, I would score every single time.

“The occasion wasn’t a factor, the opposition wasn’t a factor, the size of the crowd wasn’t a factor – penalties felt like a gift.

“That was the case right through my career. I might have been worried about some big centre-half coming right through me from behind but missing was something I was never afraid of.

The constant negativity about Cosgrove from certain members of this forum and, indeed, a particular article recently in The Scotsman is tedious nonsense. 37 goals in 69 matches from player that possibly everyone on this forum (including myself) criticised for months after his signing has been a magnificent return.

We've seen the lad, who we were all quick to point out had only scored one career goal before making the move north, comeback from being sent off in the first few minutes of his debut and going the initial months without scoring to going one full year as a regular goalscorer.

On this occasion McInnes, Richardson and the coaching team got it right and we, the AbMad keyboard managers, got it wrong. However, nobody cares or scrutinises when we get it wrong.

Here's hoping Curtis Main can prove the critics, who have written him off before he started, wrong too.

Quote Originally Posted by BogBrush1903 View Post
    The constant negativity about Cosgrove from certain members of this forum and, indeed, a particular article recently in The Scotsman is tedious nonsense. 37 goals in 69 matches from player that possibly everyone on this forum (including myself) criticised for months after his signing has been a magnificent return.

We've seen the lad, who we were all quick to point out had only scored one career goal before making the move north, comeback from being sent off in the first few minutes of his debut and going the initial months without scoring to going one full year as a regular goalscorer.

On this occasion McInnes, Richardson and the coaching team got it right and we, the AbMad keyboard managers, got it wrong. However, nobody cares or scrutinises when we get it wrong.

Here's hoping Curtis Main can prove the critics, who have written him off before he started, wrong too.
    Spot on.

If anyone had said 12 months ago Cosgroce would score 35 goals in the next calendar year - you'd have been wheeled off by the men in white coats. That is King Joey scoring levels (he's nae the king, but I'm sure Joey would be happy with that level of goals too).

The improvement in the boys all round play has been massive. His touch, link up, positioning, movement - all vastly improved. I'm happy to admit I wrote the boy off after the first couple of months & got it very wrong.

Shame others cant better acknowledge the development & improvement in this lad. He's not Zlatan, never will be, but that's no reason for the constant stick. If we cannot be happy with a striker who scores nearly 40 goals in a calendar year then there really is no point following fitba.

I give plenty stick to Del, the club & the scouting so it would be churlish to not acknowledge the fine job they have done in sourcing and developing a raw talent into something pretty formidable in scottish league terms.

We just need to do it far more often than we do.

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    He famously played keepie uppie before his penalty in the 1970 cup final
    .... "“That was the best penalty I ever struck,” said the man who, six years later, would again net against the Hoops to help the Dons capture the League Cup."
    He didn't score against Celtic in '76 - Jarvie and Robb were the scorers.

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast