+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Match Thread vs. Woking 05.12.20 [NL]

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Stronger? If they were stronger, surely playing twice a week would be easy. You say "Players are so much faster". That's bollox, because 28 years ago Kevin Bartlett ran 100 metres in 11.4 seconds. Who in the current Notts squad would you back to beat that?
    There are countless players in modern football who can do 100m in under 11 seconds. In terms of raw sprint speed there are also countless players whose maximum speed over shorter sprints is faster than even the great Usain Bolt. Apparently one of Cardiff City's players clocked a 100m in 10.04 seconds. In the Notts squad I've no idea but it might be interesting to get those stats one day. I'd wager Ben Turner is not under 11 seconds though

Here's an article from the University of Portsmouth on the subject to bring you...err...up to speed.
    Here's anther article abut how much faster the game is today.
    https://sciencenordic.com/denmark-football-society--culture/scientists-football-has-changed-dramatically/1440511

Here's a more general article on the subject overall
    http://drmonto.com/blog/2016/11/16/harde

Hope that helps
    Last edited by SwalePie; 06-12-2020 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    There are countless players in modern football who can do 100m in under 11 seconds. In terms of raw sprint speed there are also countless players whose maximum speed over shorter sprints is faster than even the great Usain Bolt. Apparently one of Cardiff City's players clocked a 100m in 10.04 seconds.

Here's an article from the University of Portsmouth on the subject to bring you...oerr...up to speed.

Here's anther article abut how much faster the game is today.

https://sciencenordic.com/denmark-football-society--culture/scientists-football-has-changed-dramatically/1440511

Here's a more general article on the subject overall

http://drmonto.com/blog/2016/11/16/harde

Hope that helps
    It doesn't help in the slightest. I realise that a football team today would probably beat a team playing at a similar level from 20 or 30 years ago, because sport continually evolves as ever-improving world record times in athletics show. That's not the issue for me though. Why can't men in their physical prime play for 90 minutes twice a week? If the game is now so fast and physically demanding how can someone as old as Doyle play every week? Why didn't Dagenham fall apart through fatigue in the later stages of last Wednesday's game?

Any links much appreciated.

So if they are "far superior physical specimens to their predecessors"' why the f*ck is running around for 90 minutes twice a week so hard?

Can anyone old enough to remember imagine Brian Stubbs saying "sorry boss, I've played three times in eight days, can you put me on the bench because I'm feeling fatigued"?
    Before my time but did Notts employ a sports scientist or strength and conditioning coach when messrs Stubbs and Needham were in action? Or was it more the case of a physio with a bucket of water and a sponge?

Who's to say it's the players telling the manager/coaches as per your hypothetical scenario? Much more likely the player is told, as footballers just want to want play and play and play whatever the decade.

I don't know why you are so bothered about it. A qualified person said that a player wasn't at 100% had some level of fatigue so manager took advice put him on the bench. We needed a goal, an improvement on the field so with 30 mins to go said not 100% player was brought on and his magic set up the match winner. We should be celebrating these decisions.

If you are that bothered, do some research there will be plenty on the internet to satisfy your need. Or better still email a professional and ask. I'm sure one of them will reply. Both options better than asking on here, then when you get suggested answers from us NCM lot you argue it.

Hope that helps
    Do you think he'll comprehend them even if he reads them, it'll mean admitting he wasn't right.

Name:  tenor.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  6.0 KB

It doesn't help in the slightest. I realise that a football team today would probably beat a team playing at a similar level from 20 or 30 years ago, because sport continually evolves as ever-improving world record times in athletics show. That's not the issue for me though. Why can't men in their physical prime play for 90 minutes twice a week? If the game is now so fast and physically demanding how can someone as old as Doyle play every week? Why didn't Dagenham fall apart through fatigue in the later stages of last Wednesday's game?

Any links much appreciated.
    No I've done my bit trying to help you out, your turn to use the mighty power of the interwebs and Google. There's a ton of good quality research out there at your fingertips Here's a quick snapshot from a single search term...

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  20.0 KB

Actually all you have to do is watch old footage of 70s and 80s Notts matches to instantly see the difference in athleticism, build and speed.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 06-12-2020 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Before my time but did Notts employ a sports scientist or strength and conditioning coach when messrs Stubbs and Needham were in action? Or was it more the case of a physio with a bucket of water and a sponge?

Who's to say it's the players telling the manager/coaches as per your hypothetical scenario? Much more likely the player is told, as footballers just want to want play and play and play whatever the decade.

I don't know why you are so bothered about it. A qualified person said that a player wasn't at 100% had some level of fatigue so manager took advice put him on the bench. We needed a goal, an improvement on the field so with 30 mins to go said not 100% player was brought on and his magic set up the match winner. We should be celebrating these decisions.

If you are that bothered, do some research there will be plenty on the internet to satisfy your need. Or better still email a professional and ask. I'm sure one of them will reply. Both options better than asking on here, then when you get suggested answers from us NCM lot you argue it.
    We had Jack Wheeler with his bucket of water and a magic sponge. It was him and Jimmy Sirrel - pretty sure we didn't even have an assistant manager let alone sports scientists, fitness coach etc etc.

Brian Stubbs would have no idea he was suffering from muscle fatigue - and would doubtless play through it anyway. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a case of Enzio saying, 'I feel a bit tired boss', but the sports scientists etc telling Ardley.

Regarding Doyle, it was interesting when they were doing the Zooms with Zoum and Enzio, that whenever a question was asked about who was the fittest, hardest trainer etc it was nearly always Doyle they chose.

Actually all you have to do is watch old footage of 70s and 80s Notts matches to instantly see the difference in athleticism, build and speed.
    It's always pleasurable watching footage from Notts matches in the 70s and 80s, apart from being a stark reminder of where we are now. If you are correct and the reality is that it is actually difficult to play twice a week, surely this has to be a massive advantage to us, because I don't think any club in this division could match us in terms of medical / sports science staff and squad rotation options. I just hope that the Boreham Wood squad are made aware of this before Tuesday night, and play their part by being suitably fatigued.

Let's hope we win the game regardless of which players in either squad are fatgiued or have slight knocks (injury).

It's always pleasurable watching footage from Notts matches in the 70s and 80s, apart from being a stark reminder of where we are now. If you are correct and the reality is that it is actually difficult to play twice a week, surely this has to be a massive advantage to us, because I don't think any club in this division could match us in terms of medical / sports science staff and squad rotation options. I just hope that the Boreham Wood squad are made aware of this before Tuesday night, and play their part by being suitably fatigued.
    Yes indeed, apart from maybe Stockport perhaps, we should have a distinct advantage in that regard. Let's hope Boring Wood are fully fatigued!

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718