+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Retained list and transfer targets

Tell you what gets me giving Wood another contract same if we sign Grigg then our young players can't progress. I'd like to see what Cooper Hull Greaves can do.

Quote Originally Posted by gru View Post
    Tell you what gets me giving Wood another contract same if we sign Grigg then our young players can't progress. I'd like to see what Cooper Hull Greaves can do.
    Whilst I understand the sentiment of giving Cooper, Hull and Greaves a chance gru, i think they need at least another season on loan to further their development, and not to be thrown into the lions den in the championship. UTM

Quote Originally Posted by Ronners View Post
    Whilst I understand the sentiment of giving Cooper, Hull and Greaves a chance gru, i think they need at least another season on loan to further their development, and not to be thrown into the lions den in the championship. UTM
    I think that was the idea with Hull at Hartlepool but his game time was well short which I was disappointed in really…cooper needs to move up a league two level…greaves is alittle way behind the other two…

Strikers can generally improve at any level…but defenders need to play against good/better strikers

Imagine having Wood and Grigg as a mentor if you were an aspiring footballer.

Quote Originally Posted by fc_miller View Post
    Imagine having Wood and Grigg as a mentor if you were an aspiring footballer.

We haven't got budget to have players as mentors only! I can't see if we want to stay in the championship why we gave Wood another contract & are considering signing Grigg.

Quote Originally Posted by gru View Post
    We haven't got budget to have players as mentors only! I can't see if we want to stay in the championship why we gave Wood another contract & are considering signing Grigg.
    Agree we had that with billy jones and Lewis price the”good in the dressing room guys”…can”t afford that again…if they can play aswell that maybe a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by clarkey1974 View Post
    I think that was the idea with Hull at Hartlepool but his game time was well short which I was disappointed in really…cooper needs to move up a league two level…greaves is alittle way behind the other two…

Strikers can generally improve at any level…but defenders need to play against good/better strikers
    Thanks for the update clarkey and I take it you were taking an interest in them last season? I would imagine they will play some part in our pre season matches to determine what to do with them next season?
    Both Greaves and Hull had game time in last seasons pre season games and I thought they both did well, and JJ has kicked on for me this past season, and I think he will work on his physique during close season and come back with more muscle ready for the championship, I really do think he will become a real star for us. UTM

Gru hates Wood for some reason, or anyone the wrong side of 18,he doesn't get the concept of older players having a positive effect on our younger players.
    Let me give you an example of this on much lower level.
    When I was about 18 I played pub football in a team which was essentially my mates of a similar age,the "manager" was only a couple of years older than us,and was next to useless.
    After a couple of seasons of struggle most of us moved to another team which had few older heads, and manager who had been around a bit.
    We had one player who was 35 or 36 who seemed ancient to us,he only played every 5 or 6 games,but he was always at training and on matchdays,just having a quiet word with the younger lads.
    We had 2 great seasons,where we improved dramatically, much of which was down to this old bloke who hardly played.

I love woody and what he brings to the team , experience determination , the will to win but if he plays regularly in the championship he will get butchered by faster and more intelligent forwards. Maybe clever forwards is the word I’m looking for. With our limited budget can we afford to carry passengers in the championship.

The thing about wood is not personal for me,the more worrying thing about it is the fact we have brought in players to try and replace him and he has seen them off.wether he rose to the challenge or they wasn’t good enough to take his place.but hat means I think we might be abit behind in that particular position.

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast