+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: ⚽Match Thread vs. Dorking Wanderers 17.09.22 [NL]

Quote Originally Posted by Robertomac View Post
    Technically that game relegated us, but the reality is it was over the season. Consistently poor in too many games, not just that one.
    Technically the Swindon game didn't relegate us because Macclesfield won their last game - even if we had won at Swindon we would still have been relegated, short of winning about 10-0 to overcome the gap in goal difference. If you want to pick out games that relegated us it was losing at home to Macca and losing twice to Yeovil.

Last season we won away at Southend 3 0 next away game lost 3 1 at lowly aldershot, nothing changes in this wasteland.
    I hope LW is in shock and the bros as we speak are attaching electrodes to his nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    They weren't part time though and finished 5th that season, us 19th. Going into the game they were 8th, Notts 19th.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Not angry, just a bit confused by you constantly changing the goalposts.

You still haven’t explained why it’s worse to lose to a team several places above us at a higher level than it is to lose to part timers seven places below us at level 5. To give you credit, you’re really good at avoiding the question.
    Well, it's all about opinions isn't it. To me this isn't our worst defeat. I'll leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    For me, nothing comes close to the game that sent us to this league for the first time in our history. I give you 3-1 Swindon.
    Actually the one game that relegated was the home defeat to Macclesfield 0-1 , but its all history , nothing can chnge that now

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Ross View Post
    A very poor result today, but hey... it's just one game.

Hopefully the lads will bounce back & we'll be back on track.

COYP!
    But as i said in an earlier post is it just one game, that remains to be seen ???

If we are series title contenders, its on the road , where we must gain more points , from mid table to bottom sides. So far we have dropped 2 points at Gateshead, and another 3 today at Dorking. Its the cumulative effect over the seson that will be our undoing, if it continues ??

Quote Originally Posted by Robertomac View Post
    I've been reflecting on this result. Whilst it's poor (very poor) for a whole host of reasons, I actually think it could be a blessing in disguise. The longer the unbeaten run goes, the more pressure it brings so in some respects I think getting a defeat helps relieve that pressure and also brings us back down to earth. The real test now is what happens at York. Win there, and this is a blip. Fail to win and more searching questions will be asked.

One thing I am sure of is that peaking early is not good. My view is keep within touching distance and wait until Jan/Feb to really push. Nothing is won in September.
    Could be some truth in this, most of the promoted teams like Barrow, Sutton and Stockport were never top early on, and only really came good after christmas,

I think LW summed it up best yesterday when he said he knew we were going to lose games this season - he just didn't expect Dorking to be one of them. Must of us thought the same - especially as Wrexham had already thrashed them 5-0 away. I'm sure we bust a lot of accumulators yesterday, too.

The one good thing about yesterday is that no team around us won (in retrospect, that 1-1 going into stoppage time wouldn't have been a disastrous result, but it sounds like we were caught on the break while trying to win the game - which is the right attitude but carries obvious dangers).

A couple of observations from afar:

1. Our front two are racking up the goals but they've dried up in midfield - especially for Ruben. We need him to start hitting the back of the net again, because Langstaff and Scott can't be expected to score every week.

2. In all the promotion seasons I can remember, our goalkeeper has always been one of our best, most reliable players (I go back to Raddy). Sam is solid, but he's definitely not one of our best players and has too many unforced errors in him. Yesterday's error was amplified by the Dorking keeper arguably being their best player. Do we persist with Sam, knowing his limitations, or is Brad Young the answer?

3. When was the last time someone scored a hat-trick against us? I'm sure there must have been plenty over the years, but I've clearly blotted them all out.

For me it’s just a really disappointing result compounded by the fact that despite many things have improved we still seem to have some of the same problems we’ve had every season we’ve been here. I think that hurts the most. And that’s it’s a part time team most people have never heard of.
    Bring on York, I’ll still be there cheering you on. COYP

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post

3. When was the last time someone scored a hat-trick against us? I'm sure there must have been plenty over the years, but I've clearly blotted them all out.
    Lemonheigh-Evans for Torquay, April this year, lost 5-1.
    That's the only other one against us in the NL. Before that, Fisher for Yeovil at home in one of Nolan's last games in charge, lost 4-1.

Well safe to say yesterday was a bad day at the office, and probably the less said about it the better. Huge wake up call, and there are usually only two ways you can react to them.

Embarrassing and bitterly disappointing about sums it up best IMO. However it's only the 9th league game and I won't grade our start to the season until after the final whistle of the 10th#tradition

I certainly won't overreact over just one game, I've seen far too many games and watched far too many Notts seasons over the decades to do that.

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast