+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Ashes 2023.

My favourite Fred comment was from when he was fielding on the boundary at one ground (probably Sydney?) and a spectator heckled him, saying "Trueman you've got a big arse". His response "When you've got a big nail, lad, you need a big hammer to knock it in with"

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    Agreed, but how many County games did he play compared to today and how many wickets did he take at that level?
    One of Fred's best comments when yet again he nips one past the edge was 'that one were too good for thee lad'!
    Not quite, mtm, I believe the incident took place in a test match against India. After a delivery had soared way past the bat of an Indian tail ender he said, 'that one were too good for thee, gunga din'. Though I'm sure history has been rewritten so as not to offend anyone!

Trueman, like Boycott, was a very fine player but both, imo, were classic ‘the older I get the better I was’ merchants which is a bit of an old Yorkshire trait.
    As a bowler no doubt Trueman was a great, but as a commentator his arrogance used to drive me round the bend. Same of Boycott and his ‘ah cud’ve played that with a stick o‘ me mother’s rhubarb’, mentality. No you couldn’t Geoffrey and, despite your undoubted talent, you were also one of the most selfish and boring cricketers I’ve ever seen. Even back in those days people paid to see the likes of Edrich, Dexter, Graveney, Barrington, Cowdrey and D’Oliveira rather than Boycott.
    Really difficult to compare today’s cricketers with those of yesteryear but Trueman’s Test career lasted just 13 years whereas Anderson’s is up to 20 and Broad around 17 which is no mean achievement in itself especially for a pair of fast bowlers.
    Another factor that makes comparison difficult is the kit that is available today. Being hit on the fingers wearing the spiky green rubber ‘protection’ that was available in the sixties and seventies would have probably been career ending in those days, boxes used to shatter (ouch!) and helmets? What helmets?
    Having said that it still takes massive bravery to face today’s quicks after being clunked on the helmet. One of the things I really didn’t like yesterday was the cheer that went up when Travis Head was hit on the head by Mark Wood. Forty years ago he’d have probably been killed and although the sight of Aussie batsman being intimidated by the raw pace of Mark Wood is undeniably exciting my first reaction when a batsman gets hit on the head as hard as that is one of fear.

P.S. Well played Zac Crawley...Boycott would be scratching around on 25 n.o.

P.P.S. Maybe you and mac were talking of different occasions, Gunter...or maybe he just doesn’t want to indulge in the outdated casual racism that you seem to so delight in.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 20-07-2023 at 02:13 PM.

Fred made a number of comments to the batter many of which can't be repeated but in those days they were generally designed to unsettle. I remember many many years ago I was at the County Ground when Derbyshire were playing the Yorkies and Fred sent one past the Derbyshire batters ear and clearly said 'wait till the next un' and then sent the perfect yorker down to take the middle stump. A form of sledging or a simple psychological tactic? Either way the batter seemed happy to leave the field!!
    As the Welsh lass sang 'those were the days my friend's!

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Trueman, like Boycott, was a very fine player but both, imo, were classic ‘the older I get the better I was’ merchants which is a bit of an old Yorkshire trait.
    As a bowler no doubt Trueman was a great, but as a commentator his arrogance used to drive me round the bend. Same of Boycott and his ‘ah cud’ve played that with a stick o‘ me mother’s rhubarb’, mentality. No you couldn’t Geoffrey and, despite your undoubted talent, you were also one of the most selfish and boring cricketers I’ve ever seen. Even back in those days people paid to see the likes of Edrich, Dexter, Graveney, Barrington, Cowdrey and D’Oliveira rather than Boycott.
    Really difficult to compare today’s cricketers with those of yesteryear but Trueman’s Test career lasted just 13 years whereas Anderson’s is up to 20 and Broad around 17 which is no mean achievement in itself especially for a pair of fast bowlers.
    Another factor that makes comparison difficult is the kit that is available today. Being hit on the fingers wearing the spiky green rubber ‘protection’ that was available in the sixties and seventies would have probably been career ending in those days, boxes used to shatter (ouch!) and helmets? What helmets?
    Having said that it still takes massive bravery to face today’s quicks after being clunked on the helmet. One of the things I really didn’t like yesterday was the cheer that went up when Travis Head was hit on the head by Mark Wood. Forty years ago he’d have probably been killed and although the sight of Aussie batsman being intimidated by the raw pace of Mark Wood is undeniably exciting my first reaction when a batsman gets hit on the head as hard as that is one of fear.

P.S. Well played Zac Crawley...Boycott would be scratching around on 25 n.o.

P.P.S. Maybe you and mac were talking of different occasions, Gunter...or maybe he just doesn’t want to indulge in the outdated casual racism that you seem to so delight in.
    No, 'outdated casual racism' that many people found funny at the time but are now hypocritical do gooders who find it awkward to admit their sins.

Love to know how I’m being ‘hypocritical’. Times change Gunt...unfortunately your recent comments about Moeen Ali being bad for team spirit because he doesn’t drink, Muslim women, and now your anachronistic Gunga Din comment seem to imply a theme developing which suggests you haven’t.

Anyway Joe Root is playing beautifully...hope Brook and Bairstow can do the same and Zac Crawley...wow...fastest 150 in a Test at Old Trafford ever I believe.

Love to know how I’m being ‘hypocritical’. Times change Gunt...unfortunately your recent comments about Moeen Ali being bad for team spirit because he doesn’t drink, Muslim women, and now your anachronistic Gunga Din comment seem to imply a theme developing which suggests you haven’t.

Anyway Joe Root is playing beautifully...hope Brook and Bairstow can do the same and Zac Crawley...wow...fastest 150 in a Test at Old Trafford ever I believe.
    You should have gone today rA!!

Not at all. my opinion of how certain faiths adversely affect everything around them remains unchanged. As for passing comments about gunga din, try as I might to avoid a smile I never succeed.

Yes, Sir Geoffrey would spend half his life at the crease, I'll give you that one! Talking of the great man, I believe at least one contributor on here will have fond memories of him running out their local hero Notts cricket enthusiasts love to recall the incident to this day!

Weather permitting, I think a 100 run first innings lead tomorrow might prove to be a match winning advantage. The odd delivery is keeping extremely low and their top order batsman will struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    You should have gone today rA!!
    Lol...I know! Always the way. Still at least we got a full days play yesterday which is more than the next three look like offering.
    Excellent today from Ali, Root and Crawley of course...and then sensible ‘play the situation’ batting from Stokes and Brook.

Tomorrow looks like the first session might be in jeopardy and Saturday looks like a Manchester wash out. Don’t know how they’ll play it.
    Take risks and score as quickly as possible for a couple of hours tomorrow maybe...get a lead in excess of 150 and then throw everything at them under cloud cover...maybe only needing a hundred or so to knock off on Sunday afternoon. Hope so. We’ve certainly improved as the Aussies look to have tired. If only there hadn’t been the Bairstow incident and we’d taken our catches in the first two Tests.

How bad was the Aussie fielding today?! No matter, a good display for England, with Ali reaching some impressive all-rounder stats that is often overlooked, and I never expected Crawley to get passed 20 in the series, so pleasantly surprised.
    Would prefer us to smash as many as possible in the morning, try and only need to bat once. Wickets in hand, can go big every shot.

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)