+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Euro 2020 Review

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Which indeed it is, thank god there's a least one politician who understands that.
    Do you not see the irony sinkov that the same fans he told it was OK to boo the England players, are the same fans he is now telling to "crawl back under their stones?"

Blow Job really is as thick as mince.

Falling into the trap BT, I thought you had a bit more sense. He's just telling the Lefty media what they want to hear, I'm sure he thinks exactly like you and me, if players want to adopt the gesture of a hard left political organisation, then the fans have a right to express their opposition to it, if they so wish.

There is the world of difference between someone who boos taking the knee, and someone using social media to racially abuse our players. I find it rather sad that I have to explain this to you BT.

Falling into the trap BT, I thought you had a bit more sense. He's just telling the Lefty media what they want to hear, I'm sure he thinks exactly like you and me, if players want to adopt the gesture of a hard left political organisation, then the fans have a right to express their opposition to it, if they so wish.

There is the world of difference between someone who boos taking the knee, and someone using social media to racially abuse our players. I find it rather sad that I have to explain this to you BT.
    I think we both know the culprits are one and the same sinkov.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Sadly racial abuse and racism will never be eliminated.

Having lived in the Bahamas and the Cayman Islands, as well as spending time in Jamaica, there is as much racial abuse and racism there - against white and other countries, like Honduras. That is not to condone it.

As it is in those countries, it is the minority who perpetuate it. The same is true of anti -semitism. It is not just colour.

Social media provides a platform for such opinions, but worse gives access to individuals, access that never existed before. I think, like many, I have been guilty of verbal abuse at a match - many referees’ parents were not married in my opinion, as well as the ref being blind, and a cretin. All part of the atmosphere and gone in instant once he awarded something to the Clarets. To hound someone abusively on social media takes all that to an unacceptable and frightening level.

The answer lies in not giving the minority access to the platforms and the individuals. As Rousseau would have it - rights come with responsibilities. The right of free speech does not support either racial abuse or racism. It has to be used responsibly within the law.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    I'm sure all racists boo players taking the knee. It does not follow that all those who boo players taking the knee are racist.

If you'd studied Aristotle you'd know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Swissclaret View Post
    Sadly racial abuse and racism will never be eliminated.

Having lived in the Bahamas and the Cayman Islands, as well as spending time in Jamaica, there is as much racial abuse and racism there - against white and other countries, like Honduras. That is not to condone it.

As it is in those countries, it is the minority who perpetuate it. The same is true of anti -semitism. It is not just colour.

Social media provides a platform for such opinions, but worse gives access to individuals, access that never existed before. I think, like many, I have been guilty of verbal abuse at a match - many referees’ parents were not married in my opinion, as well as the ref being blind, and a cretin. All part of the atmosphere and gone in instant once he awarded something to the Clarets. To hound someone abusively on social media takes all that to an unacceptable and frightening level.

The answer lies in not giving the minority access to the platforms and the individuals. As Rousseau would have it - rights come with responsibilities. The right of free speech does not support either racial abuse or racism. It has to be used responsibly within the law.
    Nail on the head Swiss, you can't educate these people, you can't educate pork, taking the knee has no effect on them, it possibly even entrenches them even more in their warped view of some our fellow human beings. The only answer is, as you say, to deny them a platform. Why they are allowed to get away with it on social media is beyond me, even Donald Trump got kicked off, and if you can shut down the President of the USA, you can shut down some racist halfwit in his back bedroom in Braintree or wherever.

Make the platforms responsible for the content they carry, fine them, close them down, unless they get on top of it. Anyone shouting racial abuse on the streets or football ground would be arrested, no newspaper or magazine could legally print it, why is it even possible for this rubbish to see the light of day on social media ?

I'm sure all racists boo players taking the knee. It does not follow that all those who boo players taking the knee are racist.

Does Aristotle write for the Guardian sinkov? If your answer is no, then probably not.

I agree, sinkov. I do not agree with “taking the knee”. It is a symbolic gesture that has lost its meaning and changes nothing.

However, I would not boo it.

Nail on the head Swiss, you can't educate these people, you can't educate pork, taking the knee has no effect on them, it possibly even entrenches them even more in their warped view of some our fellow human beings. The only answer is, as you say, to deny them a platform. Why they are allowed to get away with it on social media is beyond me, even Donald Trump got kicked off, and if you can shut down the President of the USA, you can shut down some racist halfwit in his back bedroom in Braintree or wherever.

Make the platforms responsible for the content they carry, fine them, close them down, unless they get on top of it. Anyone shouting racial abuse on the streets or football ground would be arrested, no newspaper or magazine could legally print it, why is it even possible for this rubbish to see the light of day on social media ?
    Because the politicians and liberal thinkers have dug a hole for themselves. They criticise China and Russia for suppressing “free speech”. If they force the platforms to block such people, they are denying “free speech” which makes them no better than China and Russia. The only exception is, as with Trump, they do not agree with the politics or their agenda.

All total hypocrisy, but they are politicians. The social platforms are run by companies. Companies are amoral and only interested in profit.

The only matter that really interests politicians is taxing the profits that are made. Too strong a stance will frighten them off and risk losing a possible source of tax revenue. So they hide behind “free speech” and nothing changes.

There is no room in the profit = tax revenues for morals, decency or principle.

Quote Originally Posted by Swissclaret View Post
    Because the politicians and liberal thinkers have dug a hole for themselves. They criticise China and Russia for suppressing “free speech”. If they force the platforms to block such people, they are denying “free speech” which makes them no better than China and Russia. The only exception is, as with Trump, they do not agree with the politics or their agenda.

All total hypocrisy, but they are politicians. The social platforms are run by companies. Companies are amoral and only interested in profit.

The only matter that really interests politicians is taxing the profits that are made. Too strong a stance will frighten them off and risk losing a possible source of tax revenue. So they hide behind “free speech” and nothing changes.

There is no room in the profit = tax revenues for morals, decency or principle.
    Steady on Swissclaret you are starting to come across as intelligent.

Intelligence does not work on here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)