+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When Wolves visit ...

re: When Wolves visit ...

Quote Originally Posted by crewedaft
    Paul's idea is impractical, but it does highlight a problem with our lop-sided ground when the home stand will be half full and the away club could bring twice their allocation. It is Crewe that are losing out financially.
    The ideal solution for me would be to permanently move the away section to the Railway end of the main stand,allowing up to around 3,000 of the stands capacity to the enemy.Obviously the concourse would have to be partitioned off,etc but it's not an insurmountable problem and Crewe fans would get the Pop side back so all round it's a win win scenario.

Oddly the Alex have given over much of the ground to visitors before. In the late 70s or early 80s Sheff Utd were the Div 4 visitors given all of the (then) Railway end and Pop sides to stand in with home fans crammed into the GRE. Gate of 6,000+ I seem to remember at a time when the norm was 2,000. Sheff Utd won in front of a huge away following and the Alex banked some cash. I boycotted the game - it was a bad idea then and still is - 2,300 visitors is enough for me although the meagre numbers in the GRE these days might suggest we look at those seats for visitors??

Remember it well, I was selling programmes in the ground too, good atmosphere for the time!

Quote Originally Posted by ALEXKNOWALL
    Oddly the Alex have given over much of the ground to visitors before. In the late 70s or early 80s Sheff Utd were the Div 4 visitors given all of the (then) Railway end and Pop sides to stand in with home fans crammed into the GRE. Gate of 6,000+ I seem to remember at a time when the norm was 2,000. Sheff Utd won in front of a huge away following and the Alex banked some cash. I boycotted the game - it was a bad idea then and still is - 2,300 visitors is enough for me although the meagre numbers in the GRE these days might suggest we look at those seats for visitors??
    The Alex were a different club in those days and were struggling along at the foot of div 4 on gates of 1,400 and "all-ticket" games were much rarer in those times so the huge Blunts following was no doubt very welcome at the 17,000 capacity GR,from a financial perspective,as the Yorkshire outfit closed in on promotion back in March/April (ish) '82.
    The gate of 6,71

would prefer it if we had the pop side back full time - split the big stand so its 2000 away fans railway end side - and use rest of stand for people who like the view dont want to sing

at same time build sky lights in roof and some exec boxes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12