+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Assistant Manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    Define ambition Mike!
    Wrexham, Stockport, both non league clubs, while we spend over a million pounds per season on a kids charity..while paying first team players peanuts and at the same time appointing managers of the club who's only experience is with children's football and will no doubt follow a line of past dismal failures. That is a total LACK of ambition. IMO..Both clubs had gates similar to ours but now get to 10,000 each home match, while we are lucky to get 3500..

Of course, I hope the opposite happens but the evidence is unbelievably weak to expect more than a mid table finish of the lowest professional which some or many fans here will expect to happen. That is a total LACK of ambition by the fans as well as the Board. Some clubs we used to play against are in the PL now and that shows total ambition.
    Last edited by MikeSB; 02-08-2023 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    Wrexham, Stockport, both non league clubs, while we spend over a million pounds per season on a kids charity..while paying first team players peanuts and at the same time appointing managers of the club who's only experience is with children's football and will no doubt follow a line of past dismal failures. That is a total LACK of ambition. IMO..Both clubs had gates similar to ours but now get to 10,000 each home match, while we are lucky to get 3500..

Of course, I hope the opposite happens but the evidence is unbelievably weak to expect more than a mid table finish of the lowest professional which some or many fans here will expect to happen. That is a total LACK of ambition by the fans as well as the Board. Some clubs we used to play against are in the PL now and that shows total ambition.
    You do realise it is not a level playing field don't you? Someone has pumped money into both of clubs. They ain't done it the difficult way. You say both were non league clubs. I will counter that by saying they were actually both league clubs as were Notts County and Chesterfield. I am sorry Mike but your argument is shot full of holes!

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    You do realise it is not a level playing field don't you? Someone has pumped money into both of clubs. They ain't done it the difficult way. You say both were non league clubs. I will counter that by saying they were actually both league clubs as were Notts County and Chesterfield. I am sorry Mike but your argument is shot full of holes!
    Timmy, football is a matter of results and opinions and we know 3000 or 10,000 fans all see a different game and so my opinion is just that, my own opinion. As I said, the Board, the management, the coaches, and indeed the fans are really all OK apart from the odd one.... The Board of course want better results as does the manager/coaches but I suggest there is a far better way of getting them. Yes, they were non league but you know Timmy, there is not much difference between the top half of the National League and the bottom half of the fourth division. But none of them have a Cat2 academy and I think its best to put the money into the 17 year old plus age group and buy better players. I really don't like loan players as that is a form of cheating where the more wealthy clubs can sign better players. Kids are just kids, nobody knows if they will be good enough in ten years time and millions have been spent on it. So lets do what most of the others do in the lower leagues.

Ainley is a classic example of a brilliant footballer who's physical development was not suitable for league football and he was as good a player as we have ever had probably...That supports my argument, like it or not..

I suspect and I could be wrong in that Cat2 only makes sense if the PL/FA are paying for what? 90% of it. The club won't say, why not? I still think having 6 year olds at a Professional football club is nuts...Lets do what Brentford does and have a Cat4..and just play 17 year olds and above..

Football is a results business and like it or not, we are failing that test...
    Last edited by MikeSB; 02-08-2023 at 08:39 PM.

Yet another hijacked thread!! Assistant Manager is the title of this one.

Quote Originally Posted by whosbrianwilson View Post
    Apologies. My request to define ambition was responded to with an unfair comparison and I couldn't le it go unchallenged. The reality is, we generally promote from within and finance will be one of the reasons we opt for that route. Probably not the only reason, but certainly a significant one. Now we can chose to criticise that appointment with a lot of nonsense around what other clubs do or we can get behind the management team and and the players and support our club and team.
    I will try and resist a little more often!

Promoting from within has generally achieved some form of success, albeit limited and sometimes short lived. The only time since Darios appointment that we have gone outside the club ended up with the hoofball of Thordarsson.

Anyway....there's also the Mansfield thread...now running with, as yet, no other predictions than my own....

Promoting from within has generally achieved some form of success, albeit limited and sometimes short lived. The only time since Darios appointment that we have gone outside the club ended up with the hoofball of Thordarsson.
    Agreed! Though I do think there is a need every now and then for a fresh view. Then how long has Dicker been with the club? It's not like he's a 'Morris' who been at the club for most of his life. Most people in the management hierarchy have come from somewhere outside the club at some time. Bell for example, condemned as an insider when given the manager's job had been at other clubs including playing under Nigel Clough. It could be said that that's the best of both worlds!

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    Agreed! Though I do think there is a need every now and then for a fresh view. Then how long has Dicker been with the club? It's not like he's a 'Morris' who been at the club for most of his life. Most people in the management hierarchy have come from somewhere outside the club at some time. Bell for example, condemned as an insider when given the manager's job had been at other clubs including playing under Nigel Clough. It could be said that that's the best of both worlds!
    Spot on Gazan, the same could be said if Kenny Lunt who also played elsewhere (not under Nigel Clough obviously). I think that we as supporters have to recognise the limitations withing the club's financial structure in the absence of a Ryan Reynolds type cove chucking money at us and accept those limitations. Ambition can cover a multitude of aims. Wrexham's ambitions may be the Premier league, ours is to not go the same way as Bury.

Some need to get some perspective on here...Its NOT and I repeat NOT off topic to be posting about the advantages and disadvantages of the assistant manager who has just been appointed. Its only in North Korea you have to obey the rules...

The point is ambition re appointing managers and assistant managers who have no experience of managing mens football team lack ambition by the Directors of the Club and so are in training for a number of years and like the players will want away as soon as the opportunity arises.

If as you are all saying its a matter of money why we appoint from the inside. Fine then? Only its not when we know the academy is costing over a million pounds per year and almost no other club in the lower leagues have a cat2 academy and so please, why don't you apply your small brain to that simple question? Would it not be a problem spending whatever level of cash we have to be spent on the first team?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast