+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Just to clear this up...

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies_4ever View Post
    My point is Manchester City don’t play midfielders to “protect” their defenders because they’re good enough to defend as it is.

Man City have the most expensive defence in the world and yet they still need protection in front of them but that must mean Pep has wasted an awful lot of money if they still need Fernandinho

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    The truth is probably that Yates and Hewitt (in midfield) relieved so much pressure on the defence last year that we didn't realise how bad they are. Now they are regularly under pressure and vulnerable, especially to counter-attacks, and it's obvious they can't handle it.
    Spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Football is a team game, and defending starts with the strikers. Nobody did that better than Lee Hughes, who chased and harried opposing defenders forcing them to make hurried clearances. Hughesy was a great striker, but he was also a bloody good defender.
    Luke Rodgers worked his socks off too. Great combination they were.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Luke Rodgers worked his socks off too. Great combination they were.
    Agreed. Rodgers was an important little terrier and was good at the 'horrible side of the game' as they say.

Honestly largely backs up what I’m trying to say. The modern game requires midfielders to fly in to tackles and actively attempt to win the ball back, not sit off and screen passes (protect your centre halves).
    It doesn't back up what you are trying to say, it totally contradicts it. You said decent centre backs don't need protection from midfield. I'm afraid you're talking out of your arse on that one.

Any defender/centre half worth their salt should not require “protection” from midfield. If the lack of “protection” is the issue, then it’s yet another indicator of how poor our centre halves are.

Elliot Hewitt is not good enough. It is not simply that he’s “playing out of position” (let’s not forget he was brought in as, and has played the majority of his career at right back). I was at Cambridge, Yeovil, and watched the game tonight... quite frankly I can count on my hands how many times he’s completed a pass OR actively defended and made a tackle... why that says combative midfielder to anyone I do not know.

The major problem we have, and has been is our two centre halves, let’s not get carried away focusing on other areas of the pitch.
    I come up with some shyte but you've just surpassed it .The protection bit for the defence , get a grip yer ****.
    Last edited by navypie; 21-08-2018 at 09:58 PM.

Nome of the above really matters if you get paid to play football and you can't pass a football five yards in a competitive game in the first place. HOOF!

Quote Originally Posted by roweyp View Post
    We need two new centre backs a left back and a keeper.
    Yea, and a midfielder if you have any ideas about play-offs etc.

Did Don Masson physically protect Dave Needham and Stubbsy or Brian Kilcline and Tristan Benjamim or Pedro? Was he a ball winner? No, they could take care of themselves. I have never seen a central defender squeal as much as Duffy when he is challenged, he is a soft as ****e....

Quote Originally Posted by McCullochisGod View Post
    Did Don Masson physically protect Dave Needham and Stubbsy or Brian Kilcline and Tristan Benjamim or Pedro? Was he a ball winner? No, they could take care of themselves. I have never seen a central defender squeal as much as Duffy when he is challenged, he is a soft as ****e....
    You can't compare how football was played 40 years ago to present day, it is a totally different game now. But you are spot on about Duffy.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast