+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ramsdale

I agree with Raga that every player we get now must be top quality to progress. I hope Pope's injury isn't a problem but Ramsdale is a good smart signing if it is. Maybe another young un in too to sew up the position once and for all. We saw the importance of it last season - maybe 6-10 points?

A keeper after a dislocated shoulder will never be the same, as a CB after an ACL injury (Botman)

However I don’t like Ramsdale he openenly admits he can’t stay focused for 90 minutes. He’s definitely a Howe signing tho’ I can see it happening
    Last edited by PhoneymcRingRing; 18-05-2024 at 02:25 PM.

Well this isn't the first time Pope has done his shoulder. He had a spell out at Burnley with a dislocation too.

Regarding Botman & the ACL. These days that injury is so common that the surgery and rehabilitation gets players back to as close to 100% as possible. It genuinely comes down to the individual & their genetics. How they heal, how they rehab and how they respond to the surgery.

He's young enough to come back and not experience any drop off at all. Time will tell I guess.

Ramsdale, IMO, doesn't represent a clear step up on Pope in terms of Quality.

I mean, when fit, Pope is England No.2 after Chinless Coward-gate's favourite T-Rex. If Ramsdale was that much better he'd be pushing T-Rex for the start for England at his age & being at Arsenal.

But he ain't, so he ain't & I wouldn't...

Spend money on him when Georgi is available this summer. That's the Isak of the Goal Keeping position, Ramsgate is not.

If we really want the Georgian keeper, we need to sign him before the Euros, his price will skyrocket if he plays well. The same as any player we want who is going to be playing in the Euros

While I’d agree Ramsdale is an improvement on Pope, I’d argue that Rays was brought in as he is better with the ball at his feet… which is Pope’s biggest weakness… so I’m not convinced it’s that big an upgrade.

You just know that Arsenal would be pushing the price up anyway, and trying to make it part of a deal for Isak too… and any end cash only price would be higher than it should be.

We need a second choice keeper unless we spend BIG on a keeper who is a clear upgrade on Pope… think it’ll happen, but probably next summer or the summer after.

IMO I don’t think it is the priority position this window, we’ll bring in backup for Pope and concentrate on a striker and right winger when it comes to spending money… though that depends on (at the very minimum) getting Tosin on a free

Its impossible for us to know if any of these reports are true, but if it was my choice I would go for Mamardashvili. Hes Pope level, only with huge potential.

Ofcourse would Ramsdale improve us, if replacing Dubravka or Karius. However if you look at our first keeper, Pope, and wants to improve from there, its got to be Mamardashvili. Ramsdale is more of a sidestep really.

Can we spend this kind of money on a keeper really? With the restrictions... I dont have a clue, but if the money is available, then we really should. We need a match winner between the posts. I would be happy to spend a huge part of our budget on a top keeper. So many points can be gained from that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)