+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rangers 5, qos 0

Wouldn't disagree with that Admin. Our shortcomings were brutally exposed there. At least we had a go in the second half and Dykes looked really lively when he came on. I think he must start against Hibs . Team and fans have to act like men now, dust themselves down and get ready to go again. Our team have had a tremendous start to the season regardless of last night, don't forget.

Queens were poor last night apart from the 10-15 minutes in the 2nd half.
    Let`s totally wipe this game from memory and look forward to getting back to league business on Saturday with a really tough match against Hibs and remember that we are top of the league and the team will need all the support it can get on Saturday for this top of the table clash.

Quote Originally Posted by QOS_MAD_ADMIN View Post
    Without being too critical I regret to say this was a reality check for Queens - Apart from a brief period at the start of the second half we were never in it - Rangers should have been down to ten men but they would still have won - Our two full backs were skinned for speed and our central defence was static - our midfield struggled throughout and the Dobmeister was restricted to half chances - also where was Robinson for the first goal - we will learn a lot from this game and Skelton was quite correct with his comments after the game - " Rangers had a lot of quality - we were well beaten - that's football - lets move on "

I think we will bounce back against Hibs and fancy bringing Higgins back into the team - agree with a previous poster that the fickle Dumfries support will be down on Saturday due to this heavy defeat - looking on the TV the Queens support was quite large at Ibrox
    I cannot disagree with any of that QOS_MAD_ADMIN but let us put the game into perspective. At each of their home league matches Rangers are likely to have more in attendance than Queens will have throughout the entire season at all the league games combined. Furthermore, Rangers can afford to omit a player who earns more than our entire squad put together. With such financial disparity it was wholly unreasonable, dare I say delusional, to expect Queens to come away from Ibrox with anything like a result. My only hope, as posted, was that we wouldn't get a drubbing; and my expectations were that Rangers would win comfortably but we would leave with a handsome pay-off. Sadly we did get a drubbing but I would like to think we'll be the better off for it to the tune of £100,000 plus. That is not to disparage Queens, it is simply addressing the realities faced by a small, provincial club in Scotland and my further comments should be viewed in that light.
    As for the game, for all but about twenty minutes we were completely out of our depth. We defended much too deeply throughout the first half but sadly were caught out after half an hour when Holt reacted much more quickly than our static central defence. My only surprise was that we had kept it to 0-1 at half-time. In fairness, we pushed up early in the second half but without causing Rangers any problems. Indeed, I recall only one shot on target which was late in the game and which Gilks dealt with with ease. By pushing forward we were then exposed at the back and Rangers simply tore our defence to ribbons. Wagthorn must have thought it was Christmas with all the time and space he was allowed in and around our penalty box as he scored a hat-trick. Despite a 5-1 thrashing by Celtic Warburton stupidly claimed there was no gulf in quality between the two teams; I make no such claim after last night. The result was largely as I had expected: what I had not expected was that we would bow out of this cup competition with barely a whimper.
    With apologies to those who claim that I hark back too often to the good old days, last night's game reminded me of a similar game in 1976. During season 1975/76 Queens won only one league game until December whereafter we went for the rest of the season with only one defeat; our run included a memorable 5-4 cup victory against Ayr United. Towards the end of the season we drew Rangers at home in the Scottish Cup. Just like for last night's game our chances were talked up; there was massive press speculation that Queens would see off Rangers; and the outcome? Just like last night, a 0-5 drubbing with Queens barely getting a kick at the ball. Ah, if only we could learn the lessons of history.

All that said, it is back to the bread and butter of league business on Saturday. Let's hope for a better performance and a much better outcome.

Look on the brightside at least we still get to go away to ayr on a saturday as i think the semi finals are the smae weekend

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)