+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gary Liddle

We need 2 Garry Strodders next season

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle95 View Post
    He would definitely be a top signing for our level, but if he does indeed drop to Non-League, i would expect him to end up at Hartlepool.
    This. I know a lot of people's knowledge of players only consists of players they've seen play for or against Notts but there's not much chance of this happening.

There's not much point even speculating on the kind of players we'll be able to bring in until the takeover happens and we have some sort of idea of the budget we might have, we could be working with a big budget or a tin pot one or somewhere in between, until we know that we're just stabbing aimlessly in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    We're just stabbing aimlessly in the dark.

That sounds a bit like our gert as well.

Liddle has always been a decent player, and he was never quick even in his prime. He'd be a decent holding midfielder or auxiliary centre back in NL, but I agree that our priority needs to be a Strodder/Redmile-type partnership at the back, and a Jason Lee-type target man up top.

I don't think he'd add anything that Jim O'Brien or Rose wouldn't already bring to our midfield if either/both of them stay. We'd be more likely to see Bishop return than Liddle but both are unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    As a midfielder? maybe. We need two giant centre backs and a couple of big lads up front as well. Like land of the bloody giants, non league is. Hard, uncompromising and physical, bit like our gert.
    Come on Gump - according to your logic, Man City would have no chance in non-league ��������. Any team with committed skilful players will walk all over any non-league team but it seems that you and many others on here just want to assemble a team to non-league standards, “farcical”. Our current team (with the right management) would give us the best chance to bounce straight back to L1.

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    Come on Gump - according to your logic, Man City would have no chance in non-league ��������. Any team with committed skilful players will walk all over any non-league team but it seems that you and many others on here just want to assemble a team to non-league standards, “farcical”. Our current team (with the right management) would give us the best chance to bounce straight back to L1.
    Well said Banjo. This is what we need to be mindful of not getting into a mindset of building a team to non-league standards.

We need to carry on with the mindset as though we are league club and that means signing players who are good enough to play in the football league and take the club forward. This includes our own youth players.

Our philosophy should be to sign players for the level we want to be at, not at the level we are at. That will be a hard job in itself but if you offer them the same wages as they would get at a League Two team then it’s about their own personal choice as to whether they want to play in the National League or not.

Not just me, it seems.

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 1179
Size:  21.8 KB

You mentioned, 'committed skilful players' and then you mentioned, 'Our current team (with the right management)', *bangs head on desk* One thing I did notice this season is that we struggled against the bigger more physical sides in league 2. Most on here would agree we were missing 2 big centre halves and some big lads up front, THIS season, never mind NEXT. As it happens. they were the only positions I mentioned.

Oliver ripped Grimsby to bits, a team that had just come up from the national league. I wouldn't say he'd be a bad signing, he's no Shola but then, no one is!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast