+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wealdstone Players & Maynard

As much as Wealdstone are over achieving in the NL I doubt very much any of their players would be top of L2/L1 standard.

Although having said that we have defenders that aren't either

Quote Originally Posted by sinophile View Post
    The question is, would Maynard be prohibited, for contractual reasons, from asking about Wealdstone players? Given that Maynard does not actually have a direct say in recruitment, would any 'no poaching' clause make any difference anyway?
    It would be a general agreement between clubs that we would not approach any of their players. I have yombe honest, they're part time so I can't see us being interested in any of their players for immediate use now anyway so probably just wait it out and sign them after as it will take them a while to get up to speed full time in a higher league

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    As much as Wealdstone are over achieving in the NL I doubt very much any of their players would be top of L2/L1 standard.

Although having said that we have defenders that aren't either
    I'm not sure that would be the case.I'm not saying they would be ready for immediate selection but a rough diamond with some full time coaching and training could be a top player.My mind is taken back to the Short brothers who followed Warnock to the Lane back in the day..

Quote Originally Posted by sinophile View Post
    I'm not so sure if 'non-poaching' clauses are legal. They would be seen as a restriction of freedom to move to alternative employment (for any players concerned). It's more likely there may be 'gentlemen's agreements', if such a thing exists in football.
    The players are within contract so really not a lot to do with freedom to move. Clubs simply say that any approach for any players will be rejected. Whether that needs to be written or not is a moot point but I can't see the harm in it.

In the same way that none of us want LW coming back for our players I find it a little disrespectful that we would contemplate SM bringing Stones players with him. I know football is a harsh business but just feels like double standards to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Stall is God View Post
    In the same way that none of us want LW coming back for our players I find it a little disrespectful that we would contemplate SM bringing Stones players with him. I know football is a harsh business but just feels like double standards to me.
    LW can come in for our players if he wants to, as can any manager of any team. It's then up to us to decide whether those offers meet our valuations for those players, and if the timing is right to sell. If not, we simply reject those offers. The same goes for if we were to approach Wealdstone. None of this is disrespectful, it's just business.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12