+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Southgate Appeals to England Fans

Quote Originally Posted by boinggazmic View Post
    Words are marked. We will see. I don’t think he should of picked Henderson , McGuire etc but he’s overseen the best years I can remember of being an England fan despite his faults Second only to sir Alf…yes we should be less conservative but we just ain’t got a Bobby Moore or butcher at the moment. I think we will go close next summer. Semi at least.
    I hope you are right, we have a huge amount of talent, it in my view is being wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP67 is back! View Post
    Southgate said when he was appointed that he would pick players on form, now he just picks his mates.. mark my words we will loose to Scotland as a result.
    What do I know? Bugger all apparently.

The Scots making those ironic cheers every time maguire touched the ball has now well and truly cemented his place - this will just make Southgate defiant and show solidarity with the player. It is as if he wants to show that he chooses the team, not fans (let alone rivals).
    Its just a good thing us fans don’t get a say in managerial appointments. When is this ex viler going to leave?

Having defended Henderson, Southgate now at pains to defend Maguire stating that he has never known such abuse being shown to one of their own players by England supporters. I certainly don't condone some of the nasty vitriol but ffs, playing him last night -especially given his lack of game time-was surely not only a very poor management decision by Southgate but also setting Maguire up for a fall which he subsequently took with his own goal.

Maguire is not a bad player but he isn't a great one either and whilst I certainly have some sympathy for him for the abuse he has received over recent years, he is a (very well paid) football player at the end of the day and fans have every right to criticise him if his poor performances are poor just as they have a right to criticise the manager for selecting him.

Lots of talk in the press at the moment about a new "golden generation" of England footballers and fears that Southgate still being at the helm could squander this opportunity. Personally, I think Southgate has done a decent job in the past but agree with many who view him as too cautious and too loyal to certain players regardless of performance and that he now needs to be replaced.

As for the "golden generation", it's true that there is far more quality in the current squad than we have had for a long while but IMHO it is only in our attacking options that we have genuine world class players, less so elsewhere. That said, teamwork, attitude and strategy are the things needed to win tournaments as much as individual ability and not convinced Southgate is the best person to deliver these.

McGuire’s own goal could have happened to anybody. Other than that, I thought that he had a steady game. It was mainly the Scottish fans who were ‘giving him stick’. Mind you, they booed all the way through the National Anthem. Morons!

This Woke manager keeps digging himself unneeded holes.

Any player’s place in a side should be based on present form and fitness and not what they’ve done for the team or manager in the past.

If we worked on that premise Rooney would be starting behind Kane and Bobby Charlton would be stroking his combover into place whilst discussing a free kick with Bellingham.

I watch a lot of NFL and whilst watching an excellent daily NFL chat show on SKY ( Pro Football Talk ) I heard the superb host Mike Florio describe recent contract talks of a player about to hit 30.

The player is a star player but as he stated, in the NFL it’s not about “what have you done for me lately” ( as per the Janet Jackson song ) but it’s all about, what are you going to do for me today, tomorrow and next week, the past counts for very little unless you’re playing well in which case it’s just extra brownie points.

If you watch the lowlights of Maguire’s last few years it’s a catalogue of error and own goals and sheer clumsiness.

Southgate then digs out the media and the England supported who spend their hard earned cash following the side.

Southgate is too easily offended, he’s in the wrong profession.

It’s time for quality players to me managed by a world class coach renowned for flair and attacking play.

I’d let Pep carry on managing City if that’s part of his price for managing us.

If we don’t lure him soon, you can be sure Spain will and that’ll make our chances of winning under a lightweight even less.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post

Any player’s place in a side should be based on present form and fitness and not what they’ve done for the team or manager in the past.

If we worked on that premise Rooney would be starting behind Kane and Bobby Charlton would be stroking his combover into place whilst discussing a free kick with Bellingham.

I watch a lot of NFL and whilst watching an excellent daily NFL chat show on SKY ( Pro Football Talk ) I heard the superb host Mike Florio describe recent contract talks of a player about to hit 30.

The player is a star player but as he stated, in the NFL it’s not about “what have you done for me lately” ( as per the Janet Jackson song ) but it’s all about, what are you going to do for me today, tomorrow and next week, the past counts for very little unless you’re playing well in which case it’s just extra brownie points.

If you watch the lowlights of Maguire’s last few years it’s a catalogue of error and own goals and sheer clumsiness.

Southgate then digs out the media and the England supported who spend their hard earned cash following the side.

It’s time for quality players to me managed by a world class coach renowned for flair and attacking play.

If we don’t lure him soon, you can be sure Spain will and that’ll make our chances of winning under a lightweight even less.

Southgate usually drinks when in town the same place as me ( cricket club ) and the owner kisses his shoes in that one negative comment will be met with a ban! Useless big nosed cretin!

and the problem now is that he’ll insist on playing him. He should drop him but he won’t because it’ll make him look silly and to the detriment of the team and results that could go against us if he makes an error.
    Absolutely right, he is a woke manager Mick. In recent months my hateness in woke people has dramatically increased and now I see them in all walks of life. Like the woke driver who’ll stop in a roundabout to let a car out, when they should continue- you let or give way to cars coming from the right ffs..unless i’ve missed something. Anyway, the viler southgate needs to go.

Totally agree with much of what has been said about Southgate. As stated earlier, I think he has been a good manager for England in the past but things change and I believe it's now time for a new broom. Similarly, whilst Southgate is correct in stating the importance of the role that senior players like Henderson or Maguire have played in the past, time moves on and -as Mick points out-it's not about what you have done in the past, it's about what you can do now that should determine selection.

In Maguire's case, he has put in some important performances for England in the past but if there was ever a player who was prone to errors it is him and very clearly he now lacks the pace needed. Not saying he no longer offers anything at all but he certainly does not deserve an automatic start on the team sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post

Guardiola has said he would like to manage an international team but that it was 'unlikely to be Spain.' Perhaps got something to do him being such a strong supporter of independence for Catalunya.

I've posted before I can see a scenario where Southgate leaves after the Euros and Pep having won everything at City thinks it's time for a new challenge. Fingers crossed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)