+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Portsmouth

Are you honestly suggesting they should have waited until 3pm ?

You can't and should not gamble when fans are travelling I wonder if Crewe will pay for the Pompey coaches that had a wasted trip just as Salford did when they called their game off against Port Vale at 1 pm the other week.

I, and I think Charles Grant, am saying, knowing how our ground drains, if they'd put back kick off so fans didn't have to come straight in at 2.15, it was always going to be playable by then. Pompey obviously knew it would too. I suspect at 2.45 it would have been clear it was going to be fine, and they could have said KO at 3.30, to allow people time to get in properly. Ref clearly had no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ShropshireAlex View Post
    I, and I think Charles Grant, am saying, knowing how our ground drains, if they'd put back kick off so fans didn't have to come straight in at 2.15, it was always going to be playable by then. Pompey obviously knew it would too. I suspect at 2.45 it would have been clear it was going to be fine, and they could have said KO at 3.30, to allow people time to get in properly. Ref clearly had no idea.
    Would not the ref consult with the groundstaff and management of both teams before he made the decision?

Secondly, they could have started the match a little later and call off at HT if needed. I can't see how anyone could have objected to that, least of all the players of both sides. In the old days it took a lot to call of matches and not a few puddles on the pitch. Now they and any fans will have to travel again for a night match. Bad decision all round as hard pitches are far more dangerous anyway.

Doesn't the officials get their fees irrespective? Maybe the ref didn't like running on wet ground due to arthritis?

Looks like we could be playing Stockport next season? Silver lining?
    Last edited by MikeSB; 19-02-2022 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    Would not the ref consult with the groundstaff and management of both teams before he made the decision?

Secondly, they could have started the match a little later and call off at HT if needed. I can't see how anyone could have objected to that, least of all the players of both sides. In the old days it took a lot to call of matches and not a few puddles on the pitch. Now they and any fans will have to travel again for a night match. Bad decision all round as hard pitches are far more dangerous anyway.

Doesn't the officials get their fees irrespective? Maybe the ref didn't like running on wet ground due to arthritis?

Looks like we could be playing Stockport next season? Silver lining?
    Apparently he made the decision despite their views and advice.

I'm sticking with my original prediction 0-2 for tonight's game. We will continue to scrap but I can't see us scoring and I imagine we'll concede at least one silly goal.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    I'm sticking with my original prediction 0-2 for tonight's game. We will continue to scrap but I can't see us scoring and I imagine we'll concede at least one silly goal.

0-4 for me tonight

Better in 2nd half but that's relative to one of the worst 45 minutes this season (and there's been a few to choose from).
    By the way, Nigeria Clough was there tonight. Can't think why.

Nigel. Surely that doesn't need auto-correct!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    Better in 2nd half but that's relative to one of the worst 45 minutes this season (and there's been a few to choose from).
    By the way, Nigeria Clough was there tonight. Can't think why.
    Maybe it was Nigel's wife who surely cannot be worse than the current two..

It may be off target but I thought it strange that DA did not give his usual after match summary last Sat unless I missed it and wonder if the Chairman asked for a meeting after match?

Of course it could be another helping hand manager who we had for a couple of months and wonder what happened to him as it didn't change the results much...I would be surprised to see a change now but I do think the current Chairman won't have as much patience as the last one and will make a change if needed but as said elsewhere. It may be just a question on money...ie pay offs?

Just listening to the match, seems we were lucky not to concede many more...

NC is currently manager of Mansfield...

I remember chatting to Nigel about his Father Brian, when we played Burton at home some years ago..

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast