+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Nolan

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    I knew someone in the club at the time.
    Preseason was the summer where we had record temperatures and no rain for months.
    He would regularly call off training due to the ground being unplayable but offer no alternative to get the squad fit.
    I think we also had a couple of preseason games cancelled from memory.
    We were hopelessly unfit come the start of the season.
    That certainly tallies with what we saw with our own eyes.
    It's why I'll never think of that sacking as unfair.

The match I remember most was at Newport. Dennis equalised at the death only for the flat-footed Fitz and Duffy to allow them to get a soft winner in stoppage time. A point there might have bought him time and a chance for the beer bellies to go.

Worse than that was to see Kewell sacked after W3 D4 L5 in the league, and just starting to sort out the toxic dressing room. Ardley arrived, went W6 D7 L13 and that was all she wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    That certainly tallies with what we saw with our own eyes.
    It's why I'll never think of that sacking as unfair.

The match I remember most was at Newport. Dennis equalised at the death only for the flat-footed Fitz and Duffy to allow them to get a soft winner in stoppage time. A point there might have bought him time and a chance for the beer bellies to go.

Worse than that was to see Kewell sacked after W3 D4 L5 in the league, and just starting to sort out the toxic dressing room. Ardley arrived, went W6 D7 L13 and that was all she wrote.
    I was hugely disappointed to see Kewell sacked I think it was the post match interview after we got panned by Barnsley (6 minutes onwards) in the FA Cup that was the final straw. He doesn't even talk like a football manager though. And Oakwood? And their still in league One BYW Harry. I do think he would have kept us up though despite his disaster at Barnet. Such an Aussie. He was a lot better than Nolan that season. Charlie was as aggressive in that interview as I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESxN2hPalvw

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Such an Aussie. He was a lot better than Nolan that season. Charlie was as aggressive in that interview as I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESxN2hPalvw
    Hmmm, there were players back then skilful at playing the media and certain fans - they might have been the very same players who were the main problem. Kewell was just trying to do it his way. All water under the bridge of course.
    Last edited by the_anticlough; 22-06-2024 at 01:01 PM.

Kewell has been successful since then, in Asia I think..Nolan was told to alter his style of play which is hard for a coach, same with Ardley. The bros want a style he wasn't accustomed to. Was told a certain centre forward was the problem in the dressing room, which surprised me, as in the public didn't come across like that

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    Kewell has been successful since then, in Asia I think..Nolan was told to alter his style of play which is hard for a coach, same with Ardley. The bros want a style he wasn't accustomed to. Was told a certain centre forward was the problem in the dressing room, which surprised me, as in the public didn't come across like that
    I think I read that Kewell was sacked by the club in Asia after a string of bad results. Not sure though.

Thought he had just won the league title???

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    I think I read that Kewell was sacked by the club in Asia after a string of bad results. Not sure though.
    Still in charge according to both his and the club's wiki page, 42% win record.

He only lasted 7 games at Barnet but his record at Oldham wasn't bad considering the situation he walked into there and what's happened to Oldham since he left. W17 D6 L18 which would be 1.4 ppg and suggests he was at least capable of getting the extra few points more than Ardley did to keep Notts up.

IIRC Hardy said in the press conference when Kewell was appointed: "If I could give him a six year contract, I would".

Well if he had, he'd still be under contract now!

That was little Alan having an orgasm moment cos he played for Liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Still in charge according to both his and the club's wiki page, 42% win record.

He only lasted 7 games at Barnet but his record at Oldham wasn't bad considering the situation he walked into there and what's happened to Oldham since he left. W17 D6 L18 which would be 1.4 ppg and suggests he was at least capable of getting the extra few points more than Ardley did to keep Notts up.
    Ah yes, but was he a nice bloke though?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast