+ Visit Portsmouth FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remembrance

re: Remembrance

So why aren't they mentioned in the ceremonies...are they less important

I mean do you think a Mother or Wife cares whether her son/husband died as 1 of 1 million or 1 of 1

Just thought I would try and clear up a couple of points.

I think you'll find that most, well all the ceremonies and services I have attended do not mention or are aimed at any particular conflict.

All who have given their lives in defence of our country are remembered. That is everyone. But of course your mind will very likely settle on conflicts that are more relevant to yourself..

I have lost friends in Aden, the Gulf, Iraq, the Falkland Islands and of course Northern Ireland, but when I do attend a service I do think of those who died in lonely places far from home. I remember attending a funeral in Silent Valley, Aden back in the 60's (S/Sgt in the RE blown up on a mine) I remember thinking I'm not going to be left here when all my mates go home.

Of course the Great War started the rememberance and the poppy symbol and the idea of local memorials.

Of course the 11th of the 11th is the day that WWI ended but I still maintain we remember all who fell.

(Just looked and I s

I dont know why,but at remembrance services,I find myself thinking not only about the 2 great wars,but also Crimea and the charge of the Light Brigade...such futility

Having been watching,listening and partaking today.
    Every time the day is mentioned,it quite clearly talks about those who died SINCE the start of WW1...Totally wrong IMVHO

I am sure that the loss of troops prior to 1914 were remembered by the people must affected by it, the major difference to after this date is due to the great number of a generation killed in the four years that far out wayed what had past before. Modern communication has made the reporting of losses easier. To me remembrance to me is that regardless the futility of warfare, men and women are willing to lay there lives on the line to protect us miles from families and loved ones.
    I will always remember mainly for both MT grandmothers who both lost a brother in the great war, one who is commerated on Portsmouths Memorial. But it does not stop me remembering those that have lost their lifes before or since.

Remembered by any affected,but not by officialdom.A gross insult IMVHO

I don't think there is anything to actually stop anyone from remembering Bannockburn or Crecy or Waterloo if you want to, and Trafalgar of course already has it's own day.

But Remembrance Day/Armistice Day started in November 1919, and was clearly intended, at first, to honour the first anniversary of the Armistice, the moment the shooting officially stopped (not the official end of the war, which happened some time later when the Treaty of Versailles was signed). Remembrance Sunday didn't actually start until 1945, which is no doubt why it came to include both world wars, and then every later conflict was included as and when they happened.

On the subject of remembrance, would you be surprised to know that there wasn't a Trafalgar Medal?
    It took more than forty years for the government to issue the Naval General Service Medal (NGSM). Those who had fought at Trafalgar (if still alive and able to read and write) had to apply for the NGSM and received a Trafalgar clasp. Less than 2,000 were issued.

My ancestor got his medal and clasp and wore it around Old Portsmouth with pride until his death more than seventy years after the battle.

Quote Originally Posted by betalucky
    I don't think there is anything to actually stop anyone from remembering Bannockburn or Crecy or Waterloo if you want to, and Trafalgar of course already has it's own day.

But Remembrance Day/Armistice Day started in November 1919, and was clearly intended, at first, to honour the first anniversary of the Armistice, the moment the shooting officially stopped (not the official end of the war, which happened some time later when the Treaty of Versailles was signed). Remembrance Sunday didn't actually start until 1945, which is no doubt why it came to include both world wars, and then every later conflict was included as and when they happened.
    Beta ,you are of course correct as to the history of remembrance day.
    However to actually exclude brave servicemen and women that died serving the Country seems mindblowingly disrespectful.It is as if their sacrifice was of no importance whatsoever.
    I shall write to Cameron on the matter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)