+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beginning of the end of society?

As a key worker I am lucky to be still seeing the people I work with on a daily basis and the way we speak to and help each other has improved beyond measure!
    I have to admit i wake up every morning scared thinking is this the day I catch it? However once in work you forget about it and start to concentrate on keeping yourself and everything clean which is exhausting.
    My Daughter came to see us on Wednesday and was desperate for a hug which she couldn't have but it was lovely to see her in person rather than on a screen, but it destroyed me when she left and I haven't been that emotional since we got promoted against Bradford!
    I like everyone else is totally fed up of the work then home to stay in scenario but it is something that must be done and personally I think Boris is relaxing things about 4 weeks too early? I do go out for a walk sometimes and it is lovely that people want to stop and swap pleasantries, I enjoy the cooking the food side however I am one of those that has gained about a stone in weight!!
    This will end and I hope that when we do see the back of this we end up with a kinder society and a new found respect for people?
    I am generally a very strong charachter but this is getting to me now, so I do worry for a lot of people who are not as lucky and have nobody at home and not a lot to occupy them and yes this is not as bad as what it must have been like during WW2 I certainly would not have managed that era well and this has at least reminded me that WW2 was not just about beating the Germans it was about maintaining your mental health and generally staying alive at home just as much.
    STAY SAFE, WASH YOUR HANDS A LOT, DISINFECT EVERYTHING ESPECIALLY BEFORE YOU EAT AND HAVE A SHOWER/BATH BEFORE BED!

Some very interesting comments on here about how we are coping with the virus. Obviously are views are influenced by our personal circumstances. My wife and I are retired and are self isolating so our only contact with friends and family is via the Web. On the positive side from the first day of lockdown we have gone out every morning for a two hour walk enjoying the countryside and bird life before a late breakfast and reading the paper. We are fortunate to have great walking on the doorstep and don't meet many people. The afternoon is a bit of gardening and housework and a mixture of reading and TV in the evening. I was interested in the comments comparing it to the WW2 experience and our present circumstances. I think one of the big differences between then and now is there was an outstanding Government and Prime Minister during WW2 compared to this government of right wing ideologues with a not too bright Prime Minister. Their handling of the pandemic so far has been a shambles apart from supporting laid off workers.

Really ? This pandemic is nobody's fault , as of now many are getting payment through furlough , that's a plus for these people surely ? I will ask you ? What would you have done ? Considering these unfortunate circumstances , I think although many mistakes have been made , they are doing as well as anyone else may have done , it's easy to criticise in hindsight , enjoy thi walks , tha shunt ev been art 2 hrs under that current lockdown , please yourself now though , late breakfast etc , enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    Really ? This pandemic is nobody's fault
    Trump sez it's China's fault

Really ? This pandemic is nobody's fault , as of now many are getting payment through furlough , that's a plus for these people surely ? I will ask you ? What would you have done ? Considering these unfortunate circumstances , I think although many mistakes have been made , they are doing as well as anyone else may have done , it's easy to criticise in hindsight , enjoy thi walks , tha shunt ev been art 2 hrs under that current lockdown , please yourself now though , late breakfast etc , enjoy it
    Roma
    You say many mistakes have been made
    Two questions arise from that statement
    1 what do you think were the mistakes?
    2 what would you have done?

Bear in mind we have as a nation the 2nd worst infection rates in the world

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Trump sez it's China's fault
    It's sumdis falt , arr blame Corbyn missen evil man !
    Just fo sum balance , these test that been ridiculed , They are freely available for all , either by post or attending , some on line , How many of us have taken up that offer ? I haven't but possibly should , it's down to the Iindividual , maybe we are too complacent or maybe carnt be bothered , make your own mind up , they are available remember ,,,
    STAY ALERT , Stay Safe ,
    Ramadan MUBARAK,

It's sumdis falt , arr blame Corbyn missen evil man !
    Just fo sum balance , these test that been ridiculed , They are freely available for all , either by post or attending , some on line , How many of us have taken up that offer ? I haven't but possibly should , it's down to the Iindividual , maybe we are too complacent or maybe carnt be bothered , make your own mind up , they are available remember ,,,
    STAY ALERT , Stay Safe ,
    Ramadan MUBARAK,
    They are not currently freely available for all
    Perhaps you should check again
    Last edited by Exiletyke; 16-05-2020 at 05:26 PM.

What do you think would have happened if we weren't furloghed Roma ?

I'll tell you what would have happened , the economy would have crashed anyway because you'd either be off work with the virus or you would be brown bread .

I will all come out in the Inquiry .... hopefully !!!

This thing really hits home if you've had it or lost someone close to it .

These mistakes become something else then .

They are you check again , what would I have done you asked ? Go along with the facts given out by the Health expert's , we're they wrong ? We're they right ? Any party would follow these guidelines , right or wrong , This current government are doing what guidance they have been given , for me personally I think they are doing pretty well , but room for improvement , ask those furloughed , Animal himself said he could make a profit out of this , garden and house improvements done , I'm pleased for him and many more ,
    What would you have done , if you were in charge of this Country ? This new found SIR Keir Starmer , looks the part , plays the game etc , the end of the day he would go along with the Medical advice given to the current party , He'd be a fool not to ,

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Good for you mate, persue those aims and ambitions. I'm glad you understood my post and what I was saying. Some people just don't get it. I know exactly what you mean about being addicted to something that you don't realise. It does make sense.

Something else I didn't mention was my health and turning a blind eye to it. The amount of times I've gone to work when I shouldn't have. Working through the pain barrier and my ailments. Waking up with gout in my knee or my foot, necking some naproxen and working through it. Taking anti inflammatories or pain killers on a regular basis because some part of my body has flared up. Fecking stupid but that's how you get when you're a grafter and you're daily routine is stuck in your head. It's almost like you get institutionalized by your circumstances.

I honestly think what is the point of it all? I've worked bloody hard for 20 odd years, paid off my mortgage and can lead a comfortable life without these rigors. Do I really need to be working this hard? Stuck up a ladder in the pyssing darn rain, sometimes travelling to places like Hornsea, Whitby and Scarborough on a daily basis and getting paid feck all for 4/5 hrs travelling? Doing all this whilst telling yourself that there's a well earned holiday at the end of it all.

Don't get me wrong there is a pleasing side to my job and an element of freedom, you're not really beholden to anyone as such. Every day presents a different challenge. It also tests your thinking ability at times, It has some perks too. After doing this 20 years I couldn't honestly see myself lasting 2 minutes in an average 9 to 5 job where the supervisor is on a power trip or there's back stabbing office politics going on. It's just not me and wouldn't be something I'm able to tolerate.

It's certainly proving to be a ponderous time this lockdown
    Men of a certain generation like us are the worst for not looking after ourselves reight .

It generally teks summat to come along and hit thi reight between the eyes for us to wek up .

I took me to get chronic angina and two stents in my main artery for me me to wek the feck up .

Doctor at the Northern General told me that he couldn't believe I hadn't had a fatal heart attack the artery was so blocked .

Fags gone although I do vape , try and eat better nar .

Am working on mi beer intake !!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast