+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thou shalt not strike…

Quote Originally Posted by chaincey.ncfc View Post
    You awarded yourself a pay increase,you jest surely?

I always thought that if somebody had an interest in politics then they usually had something to do with trade unions,the two seem to go hand in hand to me so another reason not to pay my subs and let them get in with it whilst I did my job
    My reply may come over a bit ***ist but it reflects what was happening at the time. The Civil Service (certainly in the Home Office) was then made up largely of middle-aged blokes who joined after the war who were mainly conservative Conservatives who wouldn’t touch the union with a barge-pole and women doing clerical work (kids gone, husband also working) who also wouldn’t join a union because they weren’t really bothered. This was the late 70s so think Life on Mars. Mortgage rates were going through the roof. Our union was, as I said, toothless. They’d put up some opposition to a pay offer then the Department imposed it and the union shut up. They made the offers by looking at pay increases elsewhere, dividing them into four based on percentage increases then make ours based on somewhere around three-quarters the way down the list. In other words way below average and we were falling behind year on year. So when the kids came along and things got tight I left.

I always said that our strikes should have been more targeted. Instead of “all out” it should have been “all out” in areas of most damage. In other words shut the borders and the prison gates instead of faffing about with folk from HR and the like. Nobody listened to a simple member like me though.

[QUOTE=chaincey.ncfc;40498461]You used to get Unison reps asking non members why they haven’t joined and if the Union negotiated a pay deal for the porters then I would I take the pay increase?

PORTER 😎😀

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)