+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dave Watson

I don't know anything about this case but unfortunately know lots about dementia. It is of course possible an official may have made a decision in ignorance, perhaps because Dave Watson's behaviour may be affected. In terms of PR I can't imagine any club would exclude a dementia patient, especially one of its great players. The backlash would be terrible. And of course, a person with dementia would suffer too by not being able to experience memories of a place and time that they loved.

I can't believe that this is a decision made at boardroom level. Putting this out there on a message board is not the best way to resolve this though and hope someone with access to the club will raise it with them.

Let's hope Dave and his family get this sorted. My best wishes go to the Watson family and I am sure we all send our best wishes to Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by 51Magpie View Post
    I can't see a relevant post started on 26th October so, without knowledge of what was said on 24th August this is a bit puzzling. Could you also highlight the 26th October post?
    Och Pie has shared it after you requested
    I’m not judging the Club or Dave has don’t know anything about it - just thought fans should know about it certainly neutral and not judging

Quote Originally Posted by uysapie View Post
    So after all that stuff about being a manager, you were in fact a manageress and now expect supporters to give you sympathy? I don't think so.
    Ha ha don’t give up the day job
    I’m neutral on this don’t know the facts and sharing Dave’s wife post with the fans as obviously a problem between the club and former great player
    Certainly not judging who is right and who is wrong 😑

I am really uneasy about this being discussed openly on here.

We don't know the facts and have only one side of the story. I am not judging but the way this needs resolving is between the CEO and the family.

It just doesn't feel like Notts at the minute.

Dave Watson was one of my absolute favourite players growing up when he was at Man City and an England regular, I had him on my wall and I was thrilled when he came back to play for Notts. I find this all very sad and hope it can be sorted out.

This is not the forum for these kind of things. Hopefully, someone at the club picks up on this thread and finds a way forward

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Dave Watson was one of my absolute favourite players growing up when he was at Man City and an England regular, I had him on my wall and I was thrilled when he came back to play for Notts. I find this all very sad and hope it can be sorted out.
    I'd echo that. The lad from Stapleford became the best defender in England. He was the one to pick up the mantle from Bobby Moore and Jack Charlton where others like Brain Labone, Norman Hunter and Emlyn Hughes failed really. He was the best right until Terry Butcher came along. In fact he was the mainstay of England's defence for many years, renowned for his bravery - 84 career goals as a defender testifies to that. Of course we should be proud he started and finished with us as a league player.

Fun fact from Wiki - he's the most capped England player never to play in a World Cup Finals game.

Are all ex-players allowed access to the directors box and boardroom?

It all seems a bit odd to me.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    I am really uneasy about this being discussed openly on here.

We don't know the facts and have only one side of the story. I am not judging but the way this needs resolving is between the CEO and the family.

It just doesn't feel like Notts at the minute.
    It doesn't feel like Notts at the minute, and that's why I'm fairly sure the club will have good reason for whatever decision they have made.

I just don't like the tone of the message in terms of its condescending attitude ("underling") or the way it seems to be using a very sad and unfortunate medical condition as a means of mobilising if not manipulating supporters. There will be more to this situation than the message is telling us I'm pretty sure.

Regardless of whether we're talking about Dave Watson or any other former player, notable celebrity or community figure, it's worth remembering that VIP/free tickets to matches are a privilege to be gratefully appreciated at the time they're offered, not a right to be expected forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
    Are all ex-players allowed access to the directors box and boardroom?

It all seems a bit odd to me.
    Impractical too. We're gonna need a bigger boardroom!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast