+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Next two weeks will show us what ambition this club has.

A few weeks ago quite a few fans wanted shut of Morrison, Clucas and Peltier and yet of late they’ve arguably been our best performers
    Revan too and aside from a gaff at Leicester and Fulham, who are effectively both Prem standard teams , he’s done very well….in my opinion.

Some people also wanted shut of Odoffin about 9 months ago, now he needs to be tied down to a long term deal

Eaves was going to be our saviour after one goal and a sympathetic radio interview. He hasn’t, and he doesn’t look like he’s going to be

Chieo couldn’t cross a ball apparently but we should have got a huge fee if he was under contract

It’s a funny old game as they say….

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    A few weeks ago quite a few fans wanted shut of Morrison, Clucas and Peltier and yet of late they’ve arguably been our best performers
    Revan too and aside from a gaff at Leicester and Fulham, who are effectively both Prem standard teams , he’s done very well….in my opinion.

Some people also wanted shut of Odoffin about 9 months ago, now he needs to be tied down to a long term deal

Eaves was going to be our saviour after one goal and a sympathetic radio interview. He hasn’t, and he doesn’t look like he’s going to be

Chieo couldn’t cross a ball apparently but we should have got a huge fee if he was under contract

It’s a funny old game as they say….
    Not sure what your point is flower?
    Are you saying don’t tie down players like oddofin.
    And when you say people said this or that. I’m on about the club doing what’s right and they haven’t consistently successfully done that with contracts for a long time. Victor excluded.
    People will always have opinions on players etc you can’t use the fans difference of opinions as a get out for the club.
    I’m generally a happy clapper but we’re a mess in a lot of aspects at the moment mate. Having a pop at supporters however inconsistent the views may seem doesn’t mask the situation we are in.

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket rocket View Post
    Not sure what your point is flower?
    Are you saying don’t tie down players like oddofin.
    And when you say people said this or that. I’m on about the club doing what’s right and they haven’t consistently successfully done that with contracts for a long time. Victor excluded.
    People will always have opinions on players etc you can’t use the fans difference of opinions as a get out for the club.
    I’m generally a happy clapper but we’re a mess in a lot of aspects at the moment mate. Having a pop at supporters however inconsistent the views may seem doesn’t mask the situation we are in.
    very good post, it is easier for some to have a pop at other supporters than address the issues under discussion

Quote Originally Posted by MillerBill View Post
    After yesterday's performance against a very average side where we did not have one shot on goal,swift action needs to correct this downward slide.There is no pace in midfield and the two up front are left up there on their own with no connection.We have reduced the squad by two and brought back a player who was not available for selection.The manager has clearly stated we need strengthening at the start of this window and we are halfway through it but we have an even WEAKER squad now.This club has no plan at all.What about the talk of an incoming Director of Football?All gone quiet,is that because nobody wants the job with the restrictions adopted at this club?It's the same crew we've had for years and it's time new blood was brought in with bright positive ideas and create a structure with a plan going forward.Not the same old "we can't do it" negativity.
    Yes Brin, a pretty average side. We've never been anything like the very average side what turned up yesterday at NYS. They could have been from Mars for what we turn out. We are totally devoid of any idea or tactics. We drop so deep that Stoke we playing 5 & 6 up front at times because there was no threat from us going forwards.
    Can anyone, who keeps saying extend so and so contract, tell me how they get someone to sign when they've no interest in doing so?
    Some on here don't understand reality when it comes to the Millers.

Quote Originally Posted by avondalemiller View Post
    Yes Brin, a pretty average side. We've never been anything like the very average side what turned up yesterday at NYS. They could have been from Mars for what we turn out. We are totally devoid of any idea or tactics. We drop so deep that Stoke we playing 5 & 6 up front at times because there was no threat from us going forwards.
    Can anyone, who keeps saying extend so and so contract, tell me how they get someone to sign when they've no interest in doing so?
    It’s not about every player imo. It’s about having discussions early if they won’t sign then sell.
    Rathbone a classic example put a deadline on it then sell if he doesn’t sign. Assuming of course we’ve offered and he won’t sign.
    It’s difficult I agree but maybe it’s got something to do with for example we bring someone on 3 and half year contract once you get into under 2 years start having discussions and make decisions quickly.
    Other clubs do it so why not us?

Oh the old. Some on here don't understand reality when it comes to the millers.
    Been watching them 45 years is that long enough to understand the reality?
    Not everything is black and white it’s generally when it comes to extending contracts. Not every one.
    I would suggest anyone who doesn’t think we’ve got no really stance or approach on how me manage contracts well really doesn’t understand reality when it comes to watching the millers.
    It’s just one area that we could and should look to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket rocket View Post
    Oh the old. Some on here don't understand reality when it comes to the millers.
    Been watching them 45 years is that long enough to understand the reality?
    Not everything is black and white it’s generally when it comes to extending contracts. Not every one.
    I would suggest anyone who doesn’t think we’ve got no really stance or approach on how me manage contracts well really doesn’t understand reality when it comes to watching the millers.
    It’s just one area that we could and should look to improve.
    If we were mid table and looking good, then i'd agree, if you don't sign then sell them. When we have stand out(ish) players, Rathbone and Odoffin, who realise we're not going to rescue the season and go down to L1, would you sign a new deal? No, neither would I. Agents will be telling them, i can get you x£, just run your contract down. They, and others, saw what Cheio gained by doing it. Doesn't matter what we offer them, they won't sign .....
    Viktor may well have a release clause of a couple of million, thats the only way we got him to sign, the others we
    re talking about don't have his value.
    I've also been supporting the Millers since 1963, so realise we can't dictate to our better players, they will just walk away into a far better deal. All we can do is find these players, improve them and try to sell them. But, we're not very good at sorting this side of the business out yet.
    What we should do, what people have already said, is get into discussions as soon as they're approaching their final year, re-sign or put them up for sale in August, they still have a bit of value left then.....but we're poor at this aswell.
    Last edited by avondalemiller; 14-01-2024 at 07:13 PM.

If we were mid table and looking good, then i'd agree, if you don't sign then sell them. When we have stand out(ish) players, Rathbone and Odoffin, who realise we're not going to rescue the season and go down to L1, would you sign a new deal? No, neither would I. Agents will be telling them, i can get you x£, just run your contract down. They, and others, saw what Cheio gained by doing it. Doesn't matter what we offer them, they won't sign .....
    Viktor may well have a release clause of a couple of million, thats the only way we got him to sign, the others we
    re talking about don't have his value.
    I've also been supporting the Millers since 1963, so realise we can't dictate to our better players, they will just walk away into a far better deal. All we can do is find these players, improve them and try to sell them. But, we're not very good at sorting this side of the business out yet.
    What we should do, what people have already said, is get into discussions as soon as they're approaching their final year, re-sign or put them up for sale in August, they still have a bit of value left then.....but we're poor at this aswell.
    Excellent reasoned response. 👍🏻👏

Until we get someone on the board with football knowledge, it will be the blind leading the blind,
    when it comes to transfers, incoming & outgoing, fees / valuations, & length of contracts.

We have to stop getting players in, who are looking for a last pay day, there will be agents with
    players on their books who are in their 30's looking for clubs willing to give them a long enough
    contract, many carrying past injuries, that seem to resurface when the Millers sign them.

We simply will not attract suitable players if we do not offer competitive wages. Suspect Richardson is meeting the same reluctance that Taylor (30-40 failed recruitment attempts in last window ?) encountered. So annoyingly predictable. Doubt anything will change until Mr Stewart sells the club and that i would guess is probably closer than many people think.

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast