+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Idea's to increase the crowd

re: Idea's to increase the crowd

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB
    In fairness to itwasin, funding the academy 100% is not actually putting money into the first team. few can argue that we wouldn't have had the recent success without loan players and so without them where would we be?

Don't forget, Mike, even loanees cost money!
    Now I wonder how we paid for them ...??

It's pretty much down to cost, which I'm led to believe we have little, if any, room to manoeuvre, esp regards ticket prices. 22 quid is too much, esp for the kind of fan who just has a passing interest in the side.
    Another problem is the phenomenon of live Saturday football. This eats away at the support, esp when Liverpool or Man utd are involved.
    I'd look upon having a match or two a season (perhaps sparsely attended evening fixtures) where season ticket holders can bring someone free of charge, the hope being that those they brought would light (or rekindle) the spark for going the Alex more regularly,

have said this before = offer people with a non crewe - but not the team were playin a seat in the ground -maybe a small section in main stand at railway end - think fulham do it and get about 100 in it -

Alex fans wont come back until Norman Hassell has been deposed if u dont believe me have a poll -

if your charging 22-00 - people want a full day experience i saw people trying to get in the club shop after the game - it was shut

offer people a set meal for there tea so if you live away from crewe you dont need to rush home - spag boll - pie n peas - lasagna - cottage pie - soup n garlick bread -cheap to make -

payment plan 4 tickets too

Noticed our fan from Norway in the crowd.Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB

In fairness to itwasin, funding the academy 100% is not actually putting money into the first team.
    I can't fathom how you'd come to this conclusion.

7 of the 11 players in a Crewe shirt at then end of Saturday's match came through the Academy; youth development and the "first team" are not mutually exclusive: it's a symbiotic relationship. True, the balance isn't always perfect, but the theory is sound - as the last 30 years of our history demonstrate.

The cream of the Academy crop make a valuable contribution to the first team - whilst being paid relatively low wages and increasing their market value for an eventual sale! We didn't just get a £3m transfer fee for Dean Ashton, we also got 178 first team appearances and 74 first team goals.

It's not just the potential top-flight players who contribute to the first team, either. The good-but-not-great players (Lunt, Tootle, Vaughan, Moore) can become useful club servants and/or

This was a really good idea for a thread to see how we could get more fans to home games (I think 5000 minimum should be a target for the club, what business doesn't want to attract more customers?), shame it was hijacked by people talking utter nonsense about the academy.

For me there's 3 reasons why the crowds are down:
    1) A largely disappointing 10 years after a largely succesfull 10 years.
    2) Prices too high
    3) No atmosphere

Nothing that can be done about the first one but the easiest solution to the other 2 is make the Gresty Road End £10 a ticket for Adults, £3 for kids. Pay on the gate.

That way it limits the ammount of money is at risk by having a limit on the tickets available at the cheap price.
    Fills up the GRE every week, increasing the atmosphere.
    If its pay on the gate and full, people have to get there earlier, opens up more of a revenue stream from drinking in the ground.

Nice, simple, limited risk and solves another issue

Quote Originally Posted by D4zer
    This was a really good idea for a thread to see how we could get more fans to home games (I think 5000 minimum should be a target for the club, what business doesn't want to attract more customers?), shame it was hijacked by people talking utter nonsense about the academy.
    That was why I am not responded further as the merits of the academy have been done to death before and whether all that was 'utter nonsense' depends on one's point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by thnhouse
    For me there's 3 reasons why the crowds are down:
    1) A largely disappointing 10 years after a largely succesfull 10 years.
    2) Prices too high
    3) No atmosphere

Nothing that can be done about the first one but the easiest solution to the other 2 is make the Gresty Road End £10 a ticket for Adults, £3 for kids. Pay on the gate.

That way it limits the ammount of money is at risk by having a limit on the tickets available at the cheap price.
    Fills up the GRE every week, increasing the atmosphere.
    If its pay on the gate and full, people have to get there earlier, opens up more of a revenue stream from drinking in the ground.

Nice, simple, limited risk and solves another issue
    Hear hear, wish the club would really do something and the GRE is a perfect way to at least try something new with limited risk as you say.

my original post seems to been hijacked but Thnhouse has started it back on track with his ideas. I attend the game on Saturday and parked on B & Q and walked to the ground . If you were not a football fan you would not have known there was a game on, Surely with Crewe Arms roundabout as busy as it is it would be possible for the club to advertise in this area, programme sellers outside the ground all huddled together and talking, no attempt to shout and sell the programmes. Who is monitoring them I ask . The small things all add up,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast