+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A small thought about SE and some of the players....

re: A small thought about SE and some of the players....

Totally agree about Halford not being a RB. He's 6ft 5 and would be better in the middle of the defence. Maybe Evans will have seen that now though, he did start Broadfoot off on the right before moving him central and he came good.

No one can be happy after that but once again, this is a completely new team which hasn't gelled yet. It will and the process will cost us points. What I would say though is that for a 20 minute spell I thought we were all over Dons and playing well. I take heart from that. Halford cannot play full back. Perhaps try him up front to feed Derbyshire. For me, we need to play Rawson for sure and I reckon Thorpe will improve with every match. This lad is good. Smallwood was not himself and goalie errors resulted in confidence being shattered. Martinez in there and I reckon we would have won easily. Keep the Faith, I'm sure it will improve with the squad that we have.

UTM

I feel worse this morning having accepted first as a one off. We have to assume Roos had his nightmare game. New FL show exposed that he should have saved 3 at least. Needs a couple more games to prove if he is No1 choice or not. The thing I thought was the worst thing Evans did nothing about was Newel at left back. Most of time he was Awol and he is clearly not a left back. Mkd went down that wing with no resistance at all. Needs sorting. Having seen Halford on previous games he has looked good in the centre, that's where he needs to be alongside Collins. Finally, poor Derbyshire had no service in the second half and the system was laughably bad... but time to sort it... left and right backs need sorting first in my opinion plus no point in flooding midfield with 4 players who all play play ball sideways or backwards...

Agree with the point about Halford never a right back and must play centre half. However not with Danny Collins who fare me looked awful. Looked slow and was all over the place positional wise. For me rawson and Halford to play CB with mattock and Buxton at full back

CA Miller I've paid up front for my season ticket, been watching them for 50 yrs so I must get some enjoyment out of it. All players I've mentioned will give Halford benifit of the doubt, see him at centre back 1st.

But Roos, Collins, G. Ward, White, Ladesma could go now for me. Green, Wood, Bowery also.

Re- the captaincy SE did say Thursday that a few of the players were up for the job and quite a lot didn't want to be considered. Perhaps Halford & Collins were up for it.
    Perhaps Frecks and Smallwood didn't actually want the captaincy, I don't know for sure I don't know any inside information.

For the record I would have preferred Smallwood.

1. Halford wont play right back once Buxton is fit. (Buxton was on the bench yesterday but has been injured so wont have done much on the training ground.

2. Newell wont play left back once Mattock is fit.
    He will make a better left sided midfielder.

His is LEDESMA as it clearly states on his shirt and on the programme, newspapers, etc!

And whilst I agree, we were absolutely dire on Saturday - the defending was Sunday league standard - you are saying we should get rid of 8 players, some after one game, that is a third of a squad.

And then what? Sign 8 players to replace them? Isn't this the exact policy that people are kicking off about in the first place?

At least we won tonight, and kept a clean sheet. Gives a little bit of confidence for Saturday. Let's get behind the new lads and hope they come good!

That was in response to gwru.

Been tonight keeper can't tell. Buxton not match fit, Halford if manager didn't have fav' he'd have been dragged off. Collins found his level. No left back, not knocking Newell one of the few bright sparks. Midfield Smallwood ok Frecks good. Ledesma & White not good enough. Derbyshire can't fault him, Bowery don't rate him. D. Ward better when he came on. Is that a fair assessment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12