+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Charlie Gard

As difficult as it may be, and God forbid anyone I know or care for is in this situation, the parents really should let nature take it's course.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    You are wrong, Serious. If permission is granted, he flies to a hospital in the US.
    Thanks Sid - I was misinformed.

Y'ou are wrong, Serious. If permission is granted, he flies to a hospital in the US.'

Or Italy

As I sit here thinking about this story, I genuinely have a lump in my throat. Sometimes life presents completely innocent people such as these parents with indescribably tragic dilemmas and one can only feel the maximum possible sympathy for them.

The only slight parallel I could possibly draw any empathy from (having considered it myself) would be that of a dying parent. As one who saw my father's quality of life deteriorate almost back to that of being as dependent on others as a small baby due to Alzheimer's (which can be an utterly awful illness), myself and my family were beginning to discuss the question of when should family assist their loved ones to die. In the end, nature saved us having to answer the question. There is simply no absolute answer to such questions. Charlie's parents, faced with a child who would lack the ability to experience so much of what we call "quality" in life (and potentially suffering as well) would have to wrestle with the question of when is it the loving thing to end someone's life you love.

I've been through something similar. I was born with a rare bowel disease (Hirschsprungs). They didn't know about it, my parents were told to get me baptised as they didnt expect me to live very long. I was in hospital from 6 weeks old till my 5th birthday. And still having operations till 2012 for same thing. they wanted to do the same thing to me, and stop the treatment, but the courts weren't involved then thank god. Hope they dont let the poor little chap linger on.

Quote Originally Posted by Steward View Post
    I've been through something similar. I was born with a rare bowel disease (Hirschsprungs). They didn't know about it, my parents were told to get me baptised as they didnt expect me to live very long. I was in hospital from 6 weeks old till my 5th birthday. And still having operations till 2012 for same thing. they wanted to do the same thing to me, and stop the treatment, but the courts weren't involved then thank god. Hope they dont let the poor little chap linger on.
    That sounds horrible, mate. Hope you're over the worst.

My brother had a bone disease, followed by broken bones, and was in QMC for about 5 years from age 7 or so - then in a wheelchair for a year after + all the time in different casts. It was hell for him I'm sure, but he's one of those that never stopped getting on with life and finding bright sides. Even now when he has to deal with bad arthritis, he's all about his wife and kids. I was lucky, and I still choose to get p'd off with small things and argue on the internet. Perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by AltyPie
    Sometimes life presents completely innocent people such as these parents with indescribably tragic dilemmas and one can only feel the maximum possible sympathy for them.
    Well put, completely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by AltyPie View Post
    As I sit here thinking about this story, I genuinely have a lump in my throat. Sometimes life presents completely innocent people such as these parents with indescribably tragic dilemmas and one can only feel the maximum possible sympathy for them.

The only slight parallel I could possibly draw any empathy from (having considered it myself) would be that of a dying parent. As one who saw my father's quality of life deteriorate almost back to that of being as dependent on others as a small baby due to Alzheimer's (which can be an utterly awful illness), myself and my family were beginning to discuss the question of when should family assist their loved ones to die. In the end, nature saved us having to answer the question. There is simply no absolute answer to such questions. Charlie's parents, faced with a child who would lack the ability to experience so much of what we call "quality" in life (and potentially suffering as well) would have to wrestle with the question of when is it the loving thing to end someone's life you love.
    Excellent post, Alty. Been there. This is why, when people are still compos mentis, they need to tell friends and family what their feelings are about continuing their lives if anything awful should occur like Alzheimer's or being reduced to near-vegetable status.

Thrombolysis, applied after a severe stroke, has something like a 1 in 20 chance of bringing about brain death. My wife knew I would want to take the chance (I was in a coma at the time).
    The Charlie Gard case touches on so many different human dilemmas

Quote Originally Posted by Vladpie View Post
    They just said that although his body is growing physically due to being fed, his head isn't growing due to his brain not developing, truly tragic for this family but I really think they have to let him go.
    I agree with Vlad that letting nature take its course would probably be the best course of action for his parents, but in the last word lies the key. If this is a free country, the choice should lie with the parents, not with a Court.

The only time I condone a Court getting involved in a child's welfare is where there is suspicion of deliberate and wilful mistreatment by the parents or guardians. That is definitely not the case here. The parents want to fight for their child's life until literally all hope is gone, and how long that fight should last is matter of subjective judgement. Doctors (and Courts) are perfectly entitled to advise, in the strongest possible terms if they feel necessary, but not to impose their view.

What a shame that the parents spoiled the dignity of their final statement with an implication that their son could have been a normal boy if only the hospital had acted sooner. This is simply not true and only encourages the base trolls who know nothing to once more attack the medical professionals who have done nothing wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    What a shame that the parents spoiled the dignity of their final statement with an implication that their son could have been a normal boy if only the hospital had acted sooner. This is simply not true and only encourages the base trolls who know nothing to once more attack the medical professionals who have done nothing wrong.
    I think it is just anger/grief and the need to lash out Sid.
    Tragic situation who I am sure anyone with half an ounce of decency, would never want themselves in.

As a comparison( no where near as awful), I can understand the comment made. The medical profession failed myself, by failing to diagnose for 2 years.
    It could have cost me my life as well. 5 operations, of absolute misery spared me that.
    So I get the point they are probably trying to make, the NHS is not the all giving wonder society, that is projected.
    It does, make the wrong decisions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast