+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a good squad

Fair point Tichi regarding the wait and see comment..a few of these signings were a bit of a concern mainly due to them been 'Unknowns' from a foreign club but in my mind I was always willing to trust the judgement of an owner who has pumped millions into the club.

You could call it shrewd business looking at the price we have paid for some of these foreign imports..wonder how much they would have cost had they been English..at least double what we have paid for sure.

Cracking job been done by all concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by whitestomper45 View Post
    As if previous managements have had a fantastic ratio of successful signings

What a negative you really are..... Why can't we have a good academy in Leeds and a setup in Spain and/or anywhere else. You think AR is going to set anything up that will be a negative or drain to the development of Leeds United, where his goal is to gain this club promotion? No lets us make up something about all of them being more obsessed with making money from a few young signings.

Have you not seen the new players in the U23s? And what's wrong with them playing in Spain against the likes of Barcelona II, Tenerife, Granada, Sporting Gijon and more? Tougher than U23's I'd say.

As long as they are developing it can be at Leeds, Cultural or Accrington

No better to keep with your conspiracy theories...3rd in table, unbeaten, best squad in a while and all you can do is try pick holes... you bore most people on here with your relentless sniping
    Answer your own question, why can't we have a good Academy here? What investment has there been in the Academy whilst the deal with Cultural commits the club to large scale operating costs that have no clear objective?

Care to name any new young player signed during the close season who isn't going to Cultural with the exception of those such as Grit who are 1st team squad member's (who I don't think require Academy support)?

All those at Cultural going to hop on a plane and play for Leeds U23s, then hop on a plane and go back, I think not.

As for getting promotion, you seriously think that the u23s will play any part in that? It's those brought in who go straight into the 1st team who's job it will be to secure promotion, Culturals job to develop the young players ready for sale (fattening up, in animal husbandry terms) and a nice little earner directly into the pockets of our senior management team. You think otherwise, on what basis, we sit around for a couple of years until they "get good enough?

We will see in due course just what product Cultural churn out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tichi1 View Post
    and it's actually embarrasing watching you squirm and "like" comments given things have started so good - ought to call you "WTF George" - as in "Osborne" with his/your "project fear" shyte all close season. lol
    I'll "like" whatever I wish Tich (even some of your posts from time to time, after they aren't all bad)

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    Answer your own question, why can't we have a good Academy here? What investment has there been in the Academy whilst the deal with Cultural commits the club to large scale operating costs that have no clear objective?

Care to name any new young player signed during the close season who isn't going to Cultural with the exception of those such as Grit who are 1st team squad member's (who I don't think require Academy support)?

All those at Cultural going to hop on a plane and play for Leeds U23s, then hop on a plane and go back, I think not.

As for getting promotion, you seriously think that the u23s will play any part in that? It's those brought in who go straight into the 1st team who's job it will be to secure promotion, Culturals job to develop the young players ready for sale (fattening up, in animal husbandry terms) and a nice little earner directly into the pockets of our senior management team. You think otherwise, on what basis, we sit around for a couple of years until they "get good enough?

We will see in due course just what product Cultural churn out.
    We do have a good, improved U23/Academy its not been an either or with Leonese.
    Where did I say the U23s will play a part in our promotion? They will though as with any reserve/youth/feeder team the main function is to develop potential that hopefully make it to the 1st team.. that and getting injured players match fit.

U23 season kicks off tomorrow with many new signings..just read the teamsheet you'll find all the names you need there, 8 new lads signed to the academy in May. We have a new U23 coach with vast experience at Spanish giant Villarreal and more. Cultural Leonesa are an official feeder club to Leeds United, no hidden agenda, do you suggest underhand dealings are going on at Guiseley too?

I can't understand the rest of your rambling... enjoy your miserable outlook on LUFC progress

Keep having to pinch myself, No other clubs casts off's like xmas what to open next Wow

Quote Originally Posted by dogcopmarchingon View Post
    Keep having to pinch myself, No other clubs casts off's like xmas what to open next Wow
    Wouldn't mind opening that chick in your Avatar pic

anyone watching the u23s tomorrow? it will be interesting to see who plays

id presume it wont include anyone with a first team squad number, bar maybe stokes, would have had wilks but hes out on loan, BPF might play as we now have lonergan as backup for wiedwald, I reckon gomes might play too as he is probably at the bottom of the pile in our first team squad. I'm guessing the half dozen or so that we have signed specifically for the youth team will feature, Shaughnessy wont as hes been called up by Ireland plus I think hes too important a backup at cb with pennington not back yet from injury, I'm hoping the academy is still bringing through british talent but we shall see tomorrow

other prospects are likely to be will huffer who is an England youth GK, romario Vieira brother of ronny, O'Connor made the bench in the cup so maybe he will be a regular in the u23s, then theres the couple of foreign strikers signed from barca kun and siddiki kun has a long surname and I aint sure ive spelt sid right either), anyhow we'll see how it goes tomorrow, hope we win and play well

I really don't understand how you could be anything but pleased on the way the teams gone this summer?

did any other team in the championship come close to the off season we did? let me know if I"m overlooking someone. we started a from a weaker position that several of the clubs but no one ate up more ground than we did.

we weren't even in the playoffs last year and we are as legit as anyone in the league for automatic promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    I really don't understand how you could be anything but pleased on the way the teams gone this summer?

did any other team in the championship come close to the off season we did? let me know if I"m overlooking someone. we started a from a weaker position that several of the clubs but no one ate up more ground than we did.

we weren't even in the playoffs last year and we are as legit as anyone in the league for automatic promotion.
    A madman sees what he sees....

I think there's a lot of in-built pessimism after so many years of disappointment, it's kind of hard to really believe this might be a genuine upturn in fortune. Yes we've had a great start, and yes our signings look the best we've had for many a long year, but in this league you're only ever a handful of results away from sliding back down the table, and Burton at home is just the sort of banana skin that might trip us up........

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)