+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help - someone cleverer than me

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    That's your assumption about what the club were doing. However, I don't think I've ever seen the club comment on any transfer fee, ever. In fact I'd imagine there are confidentiality clauses in these transfers that would prevent them doing so even if they wanted to.
    Yeah but you choose deliberately to miss Spikes point. The figures get into the press we all know how, but the club never comment, preferring to let us believe they got the figure in the press.

Do we know how? Could be one of the club's, could be the agents, could be the journalist making an educated guess. However, you've missed the point I've made it being highly likely the club are unable to comment.

If the club did come out to deny figures bandied about then it may make clubs bidding less inclined to offer as much.

Picture this: you're a club that wants to buy player A from United.

You see that United have sold a player B for £x.

So you think you'll bid £y for the player A.

But you subsequently discover a statement from United saying that they actually sold player B for half of £x.

So you bid half of what you had originally intended.

Not exactly an incentive for coming out and saying what we got.

But the wider point is that the club never said anywhere that they were debt free. It was bank debt.

That's not excusing them for not getting the debt cleared totally but that's a result of the club poorly investing the transfer windfalls.

They didn't create sufficient additional commercial revenue streams and recruited shabbily.

It bemuses me that no one at United thought that they should look to invest in additional revenue streams.

Ok they did with Gussie but that wasn't enough to close operating losses.

Not doing that and trying to rely on transfers to cover losses is a shabby, lazy and naive way to run a football club.

It's like if I run a stall selling bananas and I'm happy to make losses in the hope that soneone walks by and wants to pay a massive amount for one of my bananas. Daft.

Do we know how? Could be one of the club's, could be the agents, could be the journalist making an educated guess. However, you've missed the point I've made it being highly likely the club are unable to comment.
    There's nothing stopping the club saying e.g. "press reports that the fee of £2.8m for David Goodwillie are wide of the mark. The initial fee was closer to £1m but may rise towards 2 or even above that if certain clauses are met in the future". No reason whatsoever that they can't be more transparent.

But you can't see that it's possible to criticise the club while still passionately supporting it!

Of course I can see that, I have no problem folk criticising the club, they deserve it. I do have an issue with folk making things up and stating it as fact though.

Of course I can see that, I have no problem folk criticising the club, they deserve it. I do have an issue with folk making things up and stating it as fact though.
    Is that for me? Never made anything up Tel

So is the suggestion now that all the millions we were told were being made in player sales were not accurate.

Point is that with all the talent we have sold over the years we should have raised more than enough to not be troubled with debt.

Who knows. Let’s hope things will get better. Problem it’s hard to know when we have hit rock bottom, keeps getting worse. Could be 6th tomo if things go wrong

Quote Originally Posted by PortugueseFrank View Post
    If the club did come out to deny figures bandied about then it may make clubs bidding less inclined to offer as much.

Picture this: you're a club that wants to buy player A from United.

You see that United have sold a player B for £x.

So you think you'll bid £y for the player A.

But you subsequently discover a statement from United saying that they actually sold player B for half of £x.

So you bid half of what you had originally intended.

Not exactly an incentive for coming out and saying what we got.

But the wider point is that the club never said anywhere that they were debt free. It was bank debt.

That's not excusing them for not getting the debt cleared totally but that's a result of the club poorly investing the transfer windfalls.

They didn't create sufficient additional commercial revenue streams and recruited shabbily.

It bemuses me that no one at United thought that they should look to invest in additional revenue streams.

Ok they did with Gussie but that wasn't enough to close operating losses.

Not doing that and trying to rely on transfers to cover losses is a shabby, lazy and naive way to run a football club.

It's like if I run a stall selling bananas and I'm happy to make losses in the hope that soneone walks by and wants to pay a massive amount for one of my bananas. Daft.
    Yep, you really need to diversify like United have and invest in trumpets, tools and dung.

On a serious note, could someone with the proper knowledge not make a good educated guess on transfer income by looking at the club accounts?

I have seen reports on forums (and further back in the Final Hurdle) where someone had looked at the the club's finances and made some accurate guesses as to wages, transfer ins and outs etc.

It's there in the accounts.

All there on companies house website. Get your calculator out.

Quote Originally Posted by spikeontheright View Post
    Yep, you really need to diversify like United have and invest in trumpets, tools and dung.

On a serious note, could someone with the proper knowledge not make a good educated guess on transfer income by looking at the club accounts?

I have seen reports on forums (and further back in the Final Hurdle) where someone had looked at the the club's finances and made some accurate guesses as to wages, transfer ins and outs etc.
    What we're needing is a Mad Accountant. Preferably Chartered. Anybody qualify?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)