+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winter Transfer Window..?

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Clubs that go into Admin have clearly got that balance wrong. Clubs that make £58 million profit over two seasons have the balance wrong as well.
    For a right wing capitalist, I would have thought you would love big money returns on little risk sinkov?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    For a right wing capitalist, I would have thought you would love big money returns on little risk sinkov?
    But as you well know BT, the big money comes from being in the PL, therefore it's essential to safeguard that revenue stream. And it's the players out on the field who will keep us in the PL, not money in the bank. I am curious, what do they intend doing with all that moolah, if not investing in the playing side, and helping Dyche to keep us up ? Is there something I'm missing, some master plan I'm not aware of ? Do you know what the plan is BT ?

But as you well know BT, the big money comes from being in the PL, therefore it's essential to safeguard that revenue stream. And it's the players out on the field who will keep us in the PL, not money in the bank. I am curious, what do they intend doing with all that moolah, if not investing in the playing side, and helping Dyche to keep us up ? Is there something I'm missing, some master plan I'm not aware of ? Do you know what the plan is BT ?
    Could it be that they look at clubs like Fulham who spent over £100 Million last season onf promotion to the PL ---where are they now?
    Spending a lot of money does not guarantee anything. Performance on the field is the important thing, as we know from last night's experience.
    sinkov --we both agree that we have a smashing manager, however, when he was appointed I know from a good source that the Board were very impressed with his knowledge of economics in football in relation to a club the size of Burnley. He was asked if he could get Burnley into the PL with the somewhat limited resources available and his answer was "Yes"

When he took over I don't think that any fan really thought that he would achieve what he has, however, he and his staffhave certainly worked miracles and also kept things on an even keel as far as finance is concerned. Who knows? Perhaps he is happy working within the restraints which he has always been well aware of and has also considered the future of the club should we drop out of the PL. Perhaps he is not as greedy as a lot of fans are

You mention Fulham Sub, and spending over £100 million, no one, and certainly not me, is advocating spending amounts like that. You mention keeping the finances on an even keel, but that doesn't describe our situation. I'd say we were on an even keel if we were round about breaking even, neither making money nor losing it, but we're not in that situation, we have racked up a profit of £85 million in the last four years, but have not strengthened the team for over two years despite flirting with relegation.

It's simply on the basis of that £85 million profit that I suggest we could afford to spend a bit more and it just seems folly to me that we don't. What is that money for if not to allow our manager to put out the strongest team possible ? And it's not just my opinion, the figures show it conclusively, we could spend more on the team without risking the financial future of the club, that much is self-evident from just a quick glance at the annual accounts, the only topic of debate would be how much more.

So really Sub we're on the same page, neither of us wants the club to take any financial risk and overspend, but when we've banked over £80 million in four years, it just doesn't add up to say we're giving Dyche the max we can afford, and any more would have us following Bolton and Bury into financial oblivion. That is just not the case.

And incidentally I'm not sure just how happy Dyche is with his allotted spending power. This is what he said on LancashireLive on July 13th,

"We have to be ready that if we do need to replace, or if we want to strengthen, then we have got to stretch the finances at some point. I am always knocking on Mike's door to say 'We've got to stretch at some point'.

Not quite the happy bunny some would have us believe is he ?
    Last edited by sinkov; 29-08-2019 at 09:58 PM.

You mention Fulham Sub, and spending over £100 million, no one, and certainly not me, is advocating spending amounts like that. You mention keeping the finances on an even keel, but that doesn't describe our situation. I'd say we were on an even keel if we were round about breaking even, neither making money nor losing it, but we're not in that situation, we have racked up a profit of £85 million in the last four years, but have not strengthened the team for over two years despite flirting with relegation.

It's simply on the basis of that £85 million profit that I suggest we could afford to spend a bit more and it just seems folly to me that we don't. What is that money for if not to allow our manager to put out the strongest team possible ? And it's not just my opinion, the figures show it conclusively, we could spend more on the team without risking the financial future of the club, that much is self-evident from just a quick glance at the annual accounts, the only topic of debate would be how much more.

So really Sub we're on the same page, neither of us wants the club to take any financial risk and overspend, but when we've banked over £80 million in four years, it just doesn't add up to say we're giving Dyche the max we can afford, and any more would have us following Bolton and Bury into financial oblivion. That is just not the case.

And incidentally I'm not sure just how happy Dyche is with his allotted spending power. This is what he said on LancashireLive on July 13th,

"We have to be ready that if we do need to replace, or if we want to strengthen, then we have got to stretch the finances at some point. I am always knocking on Mike's door to say 'We've got to stretch at some point'.

Not quite the happy bunny some would have us believe is he ?
    True, however, as I said in my post ---he is well aware of the financial situation and also the economics of football which, at the top level, has gone way out of control.

If he is unhappy with the situation he can always move on, all he has to do is to find another club who want him and they will buy him out of his contract to put him in charge of their club.

Personally, I would not wish that to happen. however, that is the reality of modern football and could happen at any time.

He's just like very other manager in the game Sub, he would like more money to spend on players, even the top 6 managers are always asking for more, none of them are ever 'happy', no matter what they might say to journos.

He's just like very other manager in the game Sub, he would like more money to spend on players, even the top 6 managers are always asking for more, none of them are ever 'happy', no matter what they might say to journos.
    Very true ---good job he is not like Rafa!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)