+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 50 years ago today

... this was the game that our Brian elbowed Ted McD in the face/on the head. Notts were pressing and all eyes were on the Notts attack. McD was walking back towards the half way line after a B&B attack, tailed by BS; who carried out the assault with all officials watching the game. Funny how you recall the detail ...

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Going back to subs, does anybody know who the first named sub was for Notts in a league game? It would have been v Darlington on 21st August 1965.
    Gerry Carver was the sub in the 1965/66 opener. I remember us wondering if he'd come on, but of course he didn't. Strangely, although Darlington's sub took part in the pre-match kick-about, there was no sign of Notts' 12th man.

Name:  Notts v Darlington.JPG
Views: 188
Size:  85.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 51Magpie View Post
    They say that as you get older, earlier memories come back to you. If I survive until I'm 80, I'll probably remember it then (if I remember anything at all...)

When the name John Bond crops up, the two words that come to mind are "West Ham". I'd have thought his son, Kevin, would have come through there but apparently he got his start when his father was managing Bournemouth.
    Name:  63D7E622-B457-45DE-B82E-3F95F640AC40.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  32.0 KB

Love this picture, from “Bondy’s Tuck Shop”, which he opened when his playing career was ending in Torquay.

He was also a co-commentator on Five Live in the 90s - a very distinctive accent, which I always associated with Norfolk, but he was born near Colchester.

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post
    Gerry Carver was the sub in the 1965/66 opener. I remember us wondering if he'd come on, but of course he didn't. Strangely, although Darlington's sub took part in the pre-match kick-about, there was no sign of Notts' 12th man.

Name:  Notts v Darlington.JPG
Views: 188
Size:  85.5 KB
    Thanks 60YearsAPie, I will make a note of that on the site.
    Incredible really that subs were not allowed for the first 77 years of league football. Maybe televised cup finals being watched by millions had something to do with forcing the issue, I remember watching a video of the 1961 cup final in which a Leicester player was barely able to contribute from the 10th minute onwards after being injured in a challenge by Spurs' Les Allen (Uncle of Martin) and of course Bert Trautman had played on with a broken neck in 1956.

I've got a very blurry memory of us playing Bournemouth (?) and one or maybe two players being sent off. It must have been after the game this thread is about. Did this actually happen does anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by cher1 View Post
    I've got a very blurry memory of us playing Bournemouth (?) and one or maybe two players being sent off. It must have been after the game this thread is about. Did this actually happen does anyone know?
    Not aware of any sendings off (which were very rare in those days) but the return match on Saturday 6th February 1971 sounded fun, a 1-1 draw....
    The Daily Express report noted that this match produced a foul every two and a half minutes; 'The result could have been called fair if anyone could attach the word fair to this nasty ill-tempered game.' The report also stated; 'Nine**** fouls were given against the Nottingham side which has recently been critisised by several opposition managers for rough tactics.' Cherries boss John Bond said; 'I don't mind who knows it, as far as I'm concerned Notts County's tactics are disgraceful. They just stopped every move by breaking the rules. The tragedy is that the real victims were the public. More than 15,000 came to see a game of football, not a clogging battle.' Jimmy Sirrel said; 'We were unlucky. I thought Jon Nixon's 57th minute goal, ruled offside, was quite valid. I don't know what all the fuss is about. It was a hard game, that's all.' Barry Watling saved a penalty to help Notts earn the point, it was one of five successive penalty saves by the Notts keeper.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12