+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lee Hughes

Steady on Slack, a big difference playing against 4th division defenders than playing against world class ones. He was great for us though and probably should have been playing in a division or possibly two higher.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    I'd say he's the best player I've seen in a Notts shirt, full stop. And I started watching Notts in the early 90s. I've never seen a more naturally gifted goalscorer. Plus, he's up there in terms of being a fans' favourite too. I doubt I've ever seen a player get the fans going in the same way.

I'm fairly sure if you'd stuck 2009 Hughes in the Man Utd side of the time, he'd have gotten a decent goals tally.
    It’s a fair shout. He bossed the Wigan/Sunderland defenders in the cup games.
    I would say Draper was the best I’ve seen in a Notts shirt because we were at a higher level.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Steady on Slack, a big difference playing against 4th division defenders than playing against world class ones. He was great for us though and probably should have been playing in a division or possibly two higher.
    Well before he got into trouble, Hughsey was a top flight player for West brom

Roughly the same time period as KTD and I'd also select the same two players. Draper was pure class at such a young age. Hughes was like no striker I'd had seen before and a great reminder of my early days as a Notts fan.

And no chance Lee Hughes would have excelled with goals at the very top level whether he was in Europe's best team or not at the time. As they say in the fight game 'it's all about levels'

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    Well before he got into trouble, Hughsey was a top flight player for West brom
    I think the point is, he wasn’t when he played for Notts.
    By that logic, Sol Campbell is the best player.

Probably agree with that Laddo, Hughes was a lower level Premier player , and high level championship player, but certainly far above League 2 in his prime

One of my other favourite players was Tommy Johnson, brillaint player

Hughes was a naturally very talented finisher. I think his big problem if he were to play in a top team would be the fitness side of things given that he ahem didn't exactly treat his body as a temple!

No reason to think he wouldn't have scored a few goals though in a very attacking team with Tevez, Ronaldo, Carrick, Park etc

I think Hughes key asset was his positioning. He wasn’t blessed with pace, but could read a cross as good as the best. He also anticipated and moved into space.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Fair enough. I agree with other posters saying that Draper was a class above in that era. I'd add Craig Short in there as well.

Perhaps I should rephrase it: Hughes was easily the best player I've seen play for Notts relative to the level we were at at the time.

He probably should have been playing in the Championship when we had him. Fitness aside, there are strikers playing at the top level who will never have the goalscorers instinct he had.

Also, can anyone think of a bigger fans' favorite than Hughes? I can't. Anyone who supported us through the 70s and 80s think of one?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast