+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stockport

Challinor went in and transformed an admittedly talented squad from mid table underachievers into championship challengers. Even if they don’t go up when was the last time we did that? 2010?

No matter who the owners have been, our club have been piss poor at appointing managers who will take the club forwards. That’s why we’re in non league.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Challinor went in and transformed an admittedly talented squad from mid table underachievers into championship challengers. Even if they don’t go up when was the last time we did that? 2010?

No matter who the owners have been, our club have been piss poor at appointing managers who will take the club forwards. That’s why we’re in non league.
    They are still in the box seat but the pressure is on them now.

Yes he has done a good job but if they don’t go up their fans won’t be happy.

Put it this way if Burch had us 10+ points clear and blew it don’t think anyone would say he took us forward it would be classed as “bottle job”

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Very true, and that's why I get frustrated by the narrative we often heard from Ardley and now again from Burchnall, telling us how difficult opponents like Dover, Weymouth and Aldershot will be, let alone the better teams. I'm not saying we should ever go into games thinking we have a right to win, but FFS we're Notts County Football Club playing in the National League with more resources than almost all teams at this level. We bloody well should demand that our players put in performances good and strong enough to take on and beat teams like Aldershot, and indeed most teams around us. How about a bit more of a 'can do' culture, even if it does put the dreaded 'pressure' on players, rather than repeatedly telling everyone how difficult it all is.
    Exactly. I'm sick and tired of hearing how teams like Aldershot are tough because they're well organised or whatever. It's Aldershot, for god's sake. No offence to the vast majority of teams in this league, but with our resources, we shouldn't be losing to teams like like Aldershot, no matter how well organised they are.

I don't expect us to win every game. I expect us to try to win every game, and if we fail, I want it to be that we gave absolutely everything but were just outclassed/unlucky. To simply not turn up - like Notts do once every five games - is shocking for a club in our position, with our ambitions, at this stage of the season.

Bring in someone who can instill a ruthless winning mentality in our players. And bring in players who can win a battle. No more Zak Brunts, please.

I was thinking about the two games we played against Halifax in the league this season. The away game, we throw away three points after leading against ten men. The home game, we fail to break down 10 men despite having a tonne of chances. Halifax get four points, we get one. Now, imagine if Notts were in the two situations Halifax were in - 0-2 down with a few mins to go and down to 10 men away at a club who's hammering us with wave after wave of attack. How many points would we have gained? Zero, with a doubt. That's the difference. That's why Halifax will finish above us (literally).

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Exactly. I'm sick and tired of hearing how teams like Aldershot are tough because they're well organised or whatever. It's Aldershot, for god's sake. No offence to the vast majority of teams in this league, but with our resources, we shouldn't be losing to teams like like Aldershot, no matter how well organised they are.
    Very well put. I keep reading about how competitive the National League is this season, but it's only true at the top end. At the bottom end there is some real dross. Absolute cannon fodder. That means that the top few have to try and better their top opponents, while taking full advantage of their games against the dross if they want to progress. We've not done too badly against our rivals at the top end, but we've failed to take full advantage of our 'easy' games, with Saturday being a perfect example. We are good when we're good, but we also have this weakness that means that we are perfectly capable of losing to anyone in this division. There is definitely something missing.

I don't expect us to win every game. I expect us to try to win every game, and if we fail, I want it to be that we gave absolutely everything but were just outclassed/unlucky. To simply not turn up - like Notts do once every five games - is shocking for a club in our position, with our ambitions, at this stage of the season.

Bring in someone who can instill a ruthless winning mentality in our players. And bring in players who can win a battle. No more Zak Brunts, please.
    The two messages I wanted to hear from IB after yesterday's shambles were that he accepted some responsibility for the result in terms of a poor team selection, but also that he wouldn't accept that kind of lethargic, half-arsed crap ever again from any team he sends out. It was a completely unacceptable performance and result which needed to be declared as such inside and outside of the dressing room.

Instead, we got a shrug of the shoulders, a moan about a penalty decision and a story about how Aldershot had set up to make life difficult for us. If the manager starts making excuses and showing such a lack of passion, then it's hardly surprising that the players do the same. I repeat, I'm not calling for the manager's head at all, but I am saying he needs to recognise what's missing and demand more of himself and his players. That's the only way we'll stand any chance of pulling off a surprise in the play-offs.

I like a hell of a lot of those sentiments Jackal, although I wish the interviewer had asked the pertinent obvious question regarding team selection. But it was the usual softly softly local radio station line of questioning. His team selection was risky and backfired. He's responsible for that part of the poor performance, the other half is on the players (bar 1 or 2).

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    The two messages I wanted to hear from IB after yesterday's shambles were that he accepted some responsibility for the result in terms of a poor team selection, but also that he wouldn't accept that kind of lethargic, half-arsed crap ever again from any team he sends out. It was a completely unacceptable performance and result which needed to be declared as such inside and outside of the dressing room.

Instead, we got a shrug of the shoulders, a moan about a penalty decision and a story about how Aldershot had set up to make life difficult for us. If the manager starts making excuses and showing such a lack of passion, then it's hardly surprising that the players do the same. I repeat, I'm not calling for the manager's head at all, but I am saying he needs to recognise what's missing and demand more of himself and his players. That's the only way we'll stand any chance of pulling off a surprise in the play-offs.
    Indeed. All we hear after a performance like that are reasons why it was difficult. They were well organised, the were fighting for their lives, they made it difficult for us, etc.

These aren't valid reasons.

The 'they were fighting for their lives' one really pissed me off. Like it's not possible for our players to fight for promotion with the same level of desire.

It's obviously a personnel issue. I don't think our players are deliberately not trying, I just think they aren't the kind of players who are up for a battle. Desire and passion are just like technical skills in that you have to recruit for them. I just don't think our players have it in them, regardless of the manager. We badly miss balance. Yes, have a few lightweight and skillful attacking midfielders, but also have a some hard-tackling, hard-running midielders. It isn't rocket science.

The 'they were fighting for their lives' one really pissed me off.
    Yep, the reason 'they were fighting for their lives' is because they had lost more than twice as many games as they had won. In other words, they're not a very good team who we should have beaten without too much trouble.

Desire and passion are just like technical skills in that you have to recruit for them.
    That's my worry about this supposed #radarlove. The stats might be evidence of their technical skills etc, but does it work when your opponent says "stick your stats up your arse, I want it more than you"? Saturday suggest it might not.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Yep, the reason 'they were fighting for their lives' is because they had lost more than twice as many games as they had won. In other words, they're not a very good team who we should have beaten without too much trouble.

That's my worry about this supposed #radarlove. The stats might be evidence of their technical skills etc, but does it work when your opponent says "stick your stats up your arse, I want it more than you"? Saturday suggest it might not.
    Absolutely spot on

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    I like a hell of a lot of those sentiments Jackal, although I wish the interviewer had asked the pertinent obvious question regarding team selection. But it was the usual softly softly local radio station line of questioning. His team selection was risky and backfired. He's responsible for that part of the poor performance, the other half is on the players (bar 1 or 2).
    Or the alternative view is players might have knocks and didnt risk them ?

Its easy after the event but in his shoes its not always simple.

Its a poor result cant sugar coat it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast