+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Carers Of Dundee ad on TV

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    I can't disagree more.

You said no 20 year old had hope of a job......I'll let you off with gross exaggeration.

This nostalgic ****e about AHH **** in it together in the early mid seventies grinds my gears a bit.

Thatcher raised expectation those who cud grabbed opportunity, those that couldn't struggled, those that cudnt be arsed.....meh.

I'll say again I saw little poverty despair or lack of hope thru my ****s and 20s, mixed with manual workers, professional and those going thru uni to better themselves

I honestly think they will be the best times I'll ever live thru
    Yer a betting man.
    I'd wager the majority if not all of your acquaintances did not have a similar support for Maggie then,and yes most were working etc.Many apprenteships were lost due to cuts by councils late 80,s.

I can't disagree more.

You said no 20 year old had hope of a job......I'll let you off with gross exaggeration.

This nostalgic ****e about AHH **** in it together in the early mid seventies grinds my gears a bit.

Thatcher raised expectation those who cud grabbed opportunity, those that couldn't struggled, those that cudnt be arsed.....meh.

I'll say again I saw little poverty despair or lack of hope thru my ****s and 20s, mixed with manual workers, professional and those going thru uni to better themselves

I honestly think they will be the best times I'll ever live thru
    I'm allowed to exaggerate a bit.

Of course there were jobs, I had a few, but the ones I got were all dead end crappy ones - they even tried to get me back on YOP or whatever it was called at the time. Manufacturing was gubbed and I looked at other options, didn't work out for me but did for others. By the way the ones it worked out better for at the time never got the opportunities later on that I did.

I remember living in a two bedroom tenement in West March with my Mum, Dad, sister and three brothers - my sister had the small back bedroom to herself, mum and dad slept on a sofa bed in the living room and four of us were in the front bedroom in two double beds; most families in our street were in the same or a very similar boat. Most parents worked and they watched each others' kids to help each other out - all in it together type thing. That's not nostalgia, it's cold hard facts of life in the sixties / early seventies.

It was the late 1980s / early 1990s before I managed to get myself sorted after losing my apprenticeship in 1981, but I got there and agree the 1990s / 2000s were decent times. But let's not write off the hard times before then when ordinary working people did often find it hard but got through.

Edit to add - did you not find it strange that it took Thatcher being overthrown in 1990 for times to get a bit better?
    Last edited by Deeranged; 21-07-2022 at 12:14 PM.

Anyway, how do I claim carer's allowance?

Since 2000 to 2019 ,average wages have increased by around 25%,share dividends have increased by 132% in the same period ,employers not sharing the wealth is the problem these days

Quote Originally Posted by eric_sinclair View Post
    Yeah but the poll tax was a disaster,councils lost millions,the electrol roll went down by millions all over the country.
    It is recognised by most as a shambles and rightly so.
    I'd have it back in a minute.

Fairest system.....if they had 100% rebate.

a mixture of per person and property value would be the fairest imo

Mental system,billions went unpaid and the tax kept rising due to this.
    Almost every council struggled.
    Great times

Nobody will listen to you Rross. They are so biased that they can't see the important and crucial qualification you put in. IF THEY HAD 100% REBATE.
    The system should have been set up to allow central government ie Westminster to make direct payments to councils based on their number of claimants for exemption or rebate because of their low or non existent income.
    It would have supported councils and encouraged local welfare services to make sure everyone claimed the level of REBATE they were entitled to. It would also have supported local democracy by taking the then Scottish Office out of the equation. Where you lived would benefit directly without some per capita calculations having to be made.
    Instead of discussion about how to improve the system we got civil disobedience and we are left with the problems caused by devolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    I'm allowed to exaggerate a bit.

Of course there were jobs, I had a few, but the ones I got were all dead end crappy ones - they even tried to get me back on YOP or whatever it was called at the time. Manufacturing was gubbed and I looked at other options, didn't work out for me but did for others. By the way the ones it worked out better for at the time never got the opportunities later on that I did.

I remember living in a two bedroom tenement in West March with my Mum, Dad, sister and three brothers - my sister had the small back bedroom to herself, mum and dad slept on a sofa bed in the living room and four of us were in the front bedroom in two double beds; most families in our street were in the same or a very similar boat. Most parents worked and they watched each others' kids to help each other out - all in it together type thing. That's not nostalgia, it's cold hard facts of life in the sixties / early seventies.

It was the late 1980s / early 1990s before I managed to get myself sorted after losing my apprenticeship in 1981, but I got there and agree the 1990s / 2000s were decent times. But let's not write off the hard times before then when ordinary working people did often find it hard but got through.

Edit to add - did you not find it strange that it took Thatcher being overthrown in 1990 for times to get a bit better?
    Thought the 80s were the dogs *******s, things have got Progressively worse since she left......97 onwards under Blair then devolution.......all downhill

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    Anyway, how do I claim carer's allowance?
    I have it.

You have to be a carer who cares 40 hours a week or more, earn less than £120 pw.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)