+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wrexham tonight...and previously!

Welcome OP! In a perfect world, we'd both go up this season and then compete with each other for promotion out of L2. But as we all know, the world is far from perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    Completely agree. It's a similar scenario to a normal game in which there has to be a Plan A - Automatic Promotion and Plan B - Promotion via the playoffs. One of the two teams will have to implement Plan B and both should have preparations in place for such an event. It should not come as neither shock or surprise and just be accepted as part of the course and be embraced for what it is. Two more games to win against teams played twice already this season one at home and another at Wembley.
    I just think we re getting promoted either way, hopefully by route 1 automatic

But if route 2, we will be at home then at Wembley, now in play off matches from the past a team normally comes straight at us from the offset, that will play into our hands, and the reason we have the best away record
    I have never known a team try put 11 mem behind the ball, trying for 0-0 and extra time in the play offs , but it is possible

My main fear if we get somebody like Bromley who we had trouble beating at home earlier this season and it goes to extra time and penalties, against other outfits that come at us we should be fine

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    I just think we re getting promoted either way, hopefully by route 1 automatic

But if route 2, we will be at home then at Wembley, now in play off matches from the past a team normally comes straight at us from the offset, that will play into our hands, and the reason we have the best away record
    I have never known a team try put 11 mem behind the ball, trying for 0-0 and extra time in the play offs , but it is possible

My main fear if we get somebody like Bromley who we had trouble beating at home earlier this season and it goes to extra time and penalties, against other outfits that come at us we should be fine
    Yeah, Bromley are the only team I really fear in the playoffs. I'd like to avoid Chesterfield as well, even though they are struggling at the moment.

I think for the teams that make it into the playoffs from 3rd to 7th, this season will in effect be a free hit. They will be so far behind whoever finishes 2nd, there will be no expectation on them to win and the pressure will be off more than in normal seasons.

Whoever does eventually finish 2nd will just have to demonstrate why they were so far ahead of the others and hope that the football gods smile on them as well (with no dodgy offside or penalty decisions).

Hi everyone 👋, thanks for the welcomes....

I hear what you're saying about the management & staff should have already prepared for a Plan B scenario - and yes they would've done all the prep needed, but when it goes down to the wire, and then ends in disappointment, 'professionals' are still human after all, and the kick in the nads, after such a long hard season, is often one which they very often can't shake themselves from...as we proved last season 🙄

I'm with you on it getting sorted early though, it does give them 'more' of a chance of getting their heads around it! Also, I don't think it'll be hammer & tongs until the end...one of us will buckle a bit, and that gap will give (whoever doesn't) that bit of breathing space & release some of the tension to let them play freely again, and as WE are currently already just about scraping wins, I think it'll be us that wobbles!

My attitude to the play-offs this year has changed because we're both clearly better and guaranteed a bye then a home game to the final.

Finish 4th and 5th and your chances are 10-15% only. Say Wrexham or Notts are 65% to get thru the home tie and then 60% to win the final, you have a 35-40% chance of promotion through the play-offs. That seems almost controlable. Be mentally prepared and play to your abilities and you should have success.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    My attitude to the play-offs this year has changed because we're both clearly better and guaranteed a bye then a home game to the final.

Finish 4th and 5th and your chances are 10-15% only. Say Wrexham or Notts are 65% to get thru the home tie and then 60% to win the final, you have a 35-40% chance of promotion through the play-offs. That seems almost controlable. Be mentally prepared and play to your abilities and you should have success.
    Grimsby finished 6th last year.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post

Agree with that. Obviously everyone hopes we go up as Champions, and currently we’re probably the best team. The playoffs shouldn’t hold any fear for us though, as again we’d be by far the best team in them and a trip to Wembley with fans would be a great way to end what has been a fantastic season.

Good post OP and Wrexham are doing well in some ways to keep winning with what’s obviously a long injury list. I still think Parkinson’s a bit of a dinosaur who long term won’t take them forward as quickly as their resources mean they should. I don’t actually think everything will come down to April 10th as I think one of us will have pulled away a bit by then. Who, I couldn’t honestly say…

Quote Originally Posted by 1955pie View Post
    Grimsby finished 6th last year.
    Yeah, 10-15% means 1 out of 8 times a team is going to be promoted from 4th and 5th places in this play-off format. And more like 1 in 12 for 6th. That Grimsby team proved themselves as a great cup side this year and last so had a stronger probability that that. Last minute stuff and a crazy 4-5 says they rode their luck as well

R&R really enjoying the ride too...🤣

Name:  Screenshot 2023-02-22 at 19.00.46.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  82.8 KB
    Last edited by Willie-Wotsit; 22-02-2023 at 07:02 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast