+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T John Motson

In 2001, speech therapist Jane Comins conducted a voice profile analysis to study the patterns of eight top television and radio commentators. The criteria included pitch, volume, rhythm and tone, and Comins found that Motson scored the best results. In an accompanying survey of football fans, 32% voted him Britain's favourite commentator.

I'd like to see the same study done on some of the Vicky Pollards inflicted on us now, in the woke drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    In 2001, speech therapist Jane Comins conducted a voice profile analysis to study the patterns of eight top television and radio commentators. The criteria included pitch, volume, rhythm and tone, and Comins found that Motson scored the best results. In an accompanying survey of football fans, 32% voted him Britain's favourite commentator.

I'd like to see the same study done on some of the Vicky Pollards inflicted on us now, in the woke drive.
    C’mon Tricky...never thought I’d see this thread politicised.
    Motty was a great commentator...end of.
    My favourite cricket commentator was John Arlott, closely followed by Brian Johnson and Ritchie Benauld...likewise Bill McClaren was probably the most popular rugby commentator of all time...all ‘old school’, but we’re just running the risk of being grumpy old men if we start saying everybody around today is rubbish in comparison.
    Some don’t compare...others are excellent imo. None are possibly as iconic as Motty yet, but it’s not a competition and their time will come.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    My favourite cricket commentator was John Arlott, closely followed by Brian Johnson and Ritchie Benauld...likewise Bill McClaren was probably the most popular rugby commentator of all time...all ‘old school’, but we’re just running the risk of being grumpy old men if we start saying everybody around today is rubbish in comparison.
    Some don’t compare...others are excellent imo. None are possibly as iconic as Motty yet, but it’s not a competition and their time will come.
    Partly agreeing with Tricky there’s been way too much box ticking but I don’t think that’s the whole issue, it’s a similar issue to why heavy rock hasn’t produced anything to match Back In Black four decades ago and the answer is ‘who knows’

I preferred Cliff Morgan to old Bill, the way he called the baa baas/ all blacks game in 73 was a master class in informed, passionate commentary and not just THAT try, the whole gig. A poet with a mic

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Partly agreeing with Tricky there’s been way too much box ticking but I don’t think that’s the whole issue, it’s a similar issue to why heavy rock hasn’t produced anything to match Back In Black four decades ago and the answer is ‘who knows’

I preferred Cliff Morgan to old Bill, the way he called the baa baas/ all blacks game in 73 was a master class in informed, passionate commentary and not just THAT try, the whole gig. A poet with a mic
    Yep...agree about Cliff Morgan, AF...but then, of the more modern bunch, Eddie Butler, who sadly and suddenly died a couple of months ago, was equally excellent imo.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Not about politicising RA. Motson was a leading light of football commentry.
    Concise, clear, understandable and non of the stupid statements we hear now.
    I was praising a legend of commentary, which with current practises, I doubt we'll see again.

I think in today's much changed broadcast environments we won't see the likes of Motty, McClaren, Arlott, Walker etc: they were characters but also personalities speaking to us from sports often not seen on TV more than a couple of hours a week.

Now with wall to wall high tech broadcasting, spotlights on social media content from anyone with internet access, emphasis on betting and statistics on everything down to how many times a tier 4 goalkeeper farts in a game, we are never going to see this type of commentator again.

Kids these days wouldn't put up with it! No point comparing today's mouthpieces to those of yesteryear who had to make the game come to life for viewers in black and white using one or two cameras. Personally if I watch matches I turn the commentary off more often than not.

Not about politicising RA. Motson was a leading light of football commentry.
    Concise, clear, understandable and non of the stupid statements we hear now.
    I was praising a legend of commentary, which with current practises, I doubt we'll see again.
    It is when you start introducing the ‘infliction’ of the ‘woke drive’ into the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    I think in today's much changed broadcast environments we won't see the likes of Motty, McClaren, Arlott, Walker etc: they were characters but also personalities speaking to us from sports often not seen on TV more than a couple of hours a week.

Now with wall to wall high tech broadcasting, spotlights on social media content from anyone with internet access, emphasis on betting and statistics on everything down to how many times a tier 4 goalkeeper farts in a game, we are never going to see this type of commentator again.

Kids these days wouldn't put up with it! No point comparing today's mouthpieces to those of yesteryear who had to make the game come to life for viewers in black and white using one or two cameras. Personally if I watch matches I turn the commentary off more often than not.
    Fair point, GP.

Anyway...my greats - in addition to the three cricket commentators already mentioned - are Bumble (David Lloyd), Barry Davies, and Harry Carpenter and the ones I disliked most were Eddie Waring, Fred (in my day) Trueman and that bloke who is still commentating on football but seems to confuse noise with anything meaningful. Is he called Pearce?

There have been many excellent commentators but, although he wasn’t my favourite, I think Motty was undeniably the voice/soundtrack of football for the best part of half a century. Some achievement.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 24-02-2023 at 06:29 PM.

Not disagreeing Tricky but probably better to start a new thread and see what traction it gets, leave this as a Motmeister/ all our yesterdays thread if you don’t mind
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 24-02-2023 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post

The famous "“For those of you watching in black and white, Spurs are in the all-yellow strip.”" was a brilliant faux pas from the Motster.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)