+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Reedtz Brothers v Luke Williams

I’m gonna give the bros the credit they deserve. They have created a club with identity and a clear purpose. They then go and get players and coaches to fit that model…. Year on Year this is where we have improved. Players have got better. The coach has got better.
    The biggest compliment I can give the club now is that we no longer have a new coach/manager every year. We no longer have 15-20 players leave each year. Players are staying with us for longer, which gives them a sense of stability and security.
    The whole club is a happy place to be and this subsequently will lead to success on the pitch.

As has been said by many it is both but for me as a split it's weighted more in the direction of the owners than the head coach.

The owners and how they run a football club is the single most important and key factor to a club being successful in my opinion. There are endless examples both positive and negative.

Would a head coach like LW have accepted the job offer if we were still well known in football as the boom and bust club lurching from one disaster to the next? And if he had would he have been as successful as he has been?

You can have success with a great manager or head coach with poor owners but it's usually very short lived, or a false dawn as we know all to well. Built on sand springs to mind from nearly 15 seasons ago.

The hiring of two basically unknowns who have both helped send the club in the right direction is not random luck.

The fans just had to be patience, and collectively football fans don't tend to be and as a fanbase we most definitely aren't. If you looked beyond the finishing league position or stage of the playoff exit it was quite clear the building blocks were being put in place year on year, the HMS Notts County had been turned around in the shallow but less choppy waters of the National League.

The owners have given the stability, sense of pride combined with progress many supporters were so desperate for. One thing they should never have been labelled, as they were, is lacking ambition.

As mentioned the blueprint is there for the next coach to implement. I just don't want the next coach to be any time soon as LW could hardly have done any better to date.

Isn't it a bit premature to consider this? I've always thought we were a 3rd tier club which in a good spell gets into the 2nd tier and in a bad spell ends up in the 4th for a bit. We're still a fair way below what we would always have considered par - and we've forced out owners and managers who've not got us competitive in League 1.

Let's give the owner the credit for stabilising a club they had no previous links to, and the manager the credit for getting us deservedly back into the league but lets not go over the top. It took us 4 years to get out of tier 5 and in the first 3 we had successively the lowest league finishes in the club's history. Getting out of the conference is never easy and I'm not belittling the achievement, but many clubs with much lower budgets have done it. We have no real idea over how much money the owners have, where it comes from or how much more there is to come. We don't have a young squad full of saleable assets that can progress up the leagues.

So yes hopefully we've laid the foundations for success and I'm happy with slow and steady progress but let's at least get back in the 3rd tier before we get too excited and think we're Brentford. As for the manager, remember Paul Cox got Mansfield out of the conference and didn't last long afterwards. LW has done everything we could have asked of him so far, let's hope he has another promotion with us in the next couple of seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by thefulltenyards View Post
    As has been said by many it is both but for me as a split it's weighted more in the direction of the owners than the head coach.

The owners and how they run a football club is the single most important and key factor to a club being successful in my opinion. There are endless examples both positive and negative.

Would a head coach like LW have accepted the job offer if we were still well known in football as the boom and bust club lurching from one disaster to the next? And if he had would he have been as successful as he has been?

You can have success with a great manager or head coach with poor owners but it's usually very short lived, or a false dawn as we know all to well. Built on sand springs to mind from nearly 15 seasons ago.

The hiring of two basically unknowns who have both helped send the club in the right direction is not random luck.

The fans just had to be patience, and collectively football fans don't tend to be and as a fanbase we most definitely aren't. If you looked beyond the finishing league position or stage of the playoff exit it was quite clear the building blocks were being put in place year on year, the HMS Notts County had been turned around in the shallow but less choppy waters of the National League.

The owners have given the stability, sense of pride combined with progress many supporters were so desperate for. One thing they should never have been labelled, as they were, is lacking ambition.

As mentioned the blueprint is there for the next coach to implement. I just don't want the next coach to be any time soon as LW could hardly have done any better to date.
    If he was here, I'm sure laddo would agree with every word. It's almost as if he'd written it himself!

A 25 point difference from one season to the next is not continuity, that's a transformation.

In terms of play off rounds, we were getting further and further away from promotion before LW came in.

If LW goes then the chances are we won't get anybody as good, at least not first time around. It's not unheard of for clubs to replace a successful manager with another as good or even better, but that's rare. The difference though now is that we've got 3 auto places to aim for, not 1, this is the easiest division to get out of and there's less pressure to go up (for the time being). If we lost LW, it probably would be a set back and we would lose some momentum but it shouldn't be a disaster at this level, we're too big not to be in contention for any length of time unless we've got idiots in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel_M View Post
    Isn't it a bit premature to consider this? I've always thought we were a 3rd tier club which in a good spell gets into the 2nd tier and in a bad spell ends up in the 4th for a bit. We're still a fair way below what we would always have considered par - and we've forced out owners and managers who've not got us competitive in League 1.

Let's give the owner the credit for stabilising a club they had no previous links to, and the manager the credit for getting us deservedly back into the league but lets not go over the top. It took us 4 years to get out of tier 5 and in the first 3 we had successively the lowest league finishes in the club's history. Getting out of the conference is never easy and I'm not belittling the achievement, but many clubs with much lower budgets have done it. We have no real idea over how much money the owners have, where it comes from or how much more there is to come. We don't have a young squad full of saleable assets that can progress up the leagues.

So yes hopefully we've laid the foundations for success and I'm happy with slow and steady progress but let's at least get back in the 3rd tier before we get too excited and think we're Brentford. As for the manager, remember Paul Cox got Mansfield out of the conference and didn't last long afterwards. LW has done everything we could have asked of him so far, let's hope he has another promotion with us in the next couple of seasons.
    I would say that's a little harsh on the current owners and head coach but would agree that Division 1 is par for the club which yes we are currently below.
    It took Luton 10 years to get from the National League so its not possible to get promotions every season and also Lincoln under the Cowley's got two successive promotions but have stalled in Division 1
    I think the reason we have so much optimism is the way the club is being run, the recruitment and the football we are playing which is far better than the Division 2 Kevin Nolan season where we reached the play offs and the Division 1 Keith Curle season where we almost made the play offs
    There is a very good chance we won't go up this season but the building blocks are in place that if the Brothers stay that the future is bright and an important factor is they are still very young and energetic.
    I don't think the fans have been so excited since the Munto year(s) which was a false dawn and previous to that the Warnock Years or Jimmy Sirrel and Howard Wilkinson's time which is reflecting on attendances.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    If he was here, I'm sure laddo would agree with every word. It's almost as if he'd written it himself!
    100% obsessed!

thefulltenyards? More like not the full shilling, if he thinks people are not going to recognise him!

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    100% obsessed!
    Magpies1959 will be really disappointed that you got there first!

Magpies1959 will be really disappointed that you got there first!
    Unfortunately Elite Laddo has totally done you either directly or indirectly.
    He’s either done it directly posing as tenyards and he will never admit it’s him no matter how many times you suggest it or indirectly that you now think new members are him, he will have a grin bigger than a Cheshire Cat right now.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast