+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Budget

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton_Pie View Post
    A back 3 of Macari/Baldwin/new signing with an upgraded goalkeeper
    Ramsdale might be looking for a refreshing move but based on his performance yesterday I think I'd give him a miss.

This idea of 'budget' is a bit misleading. Do they mean what we spent on players or what is available to spend on players? If the latter, who knows what that is outside the club, and why would you share that anyway? We may have spent an 'upper mid-table' amount on players, but that doesn't mean there isn't more money available if needs be. I'm also not convinced that our owners don't have access to significantly more amounts of cash than they let people believe, it's just that they, rightly, want the club to be sustainable. If we need a bit of a push to reach the next level, they have shown that they have been prepared to put more money in to achieve that (Jones, Bostock, keeping Ruben and missing out on a transfer fee). So, if there is someone out there than meets the bill, I think they will move to get them in.

If the price is right then we shouldn't stand in Macca's way. I have a feeling that being a 'bits and pieces' player at the moment isn't helping Morias as the role requires a great understanding with Didzy and Crowely (in particular) which takes time to develop. Macca is a bit special in that he can do this quickly, but I suspect he is more of an exception.

I'm not hugely convinced that we will see a massive difference in the defence unless we can get a really really good CB. The system we play will always result in errors (even PL defences cock up on a regular basis) so we need pace to recover these more or players that are just too good for the standard we play at. Whether we can get someone that fits the bill is a big question.

Hopefully Gosling will come good and stay for the rest of the season, but I get the feeling he sees us as a means to an end rather than a potential club to play for, so a CM is probably still a need.

I don't see a need for a new goalkeeper. Slocombe played well at the weekend and although he has limitations, he is fine for this level. Stone also, but will hopefully improve) and then there is Brooks too.

So I would go for a CB or 2 with pace and a CM to cover Palmer / Gosling.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Magpie View Post
    This idea of 'budget' is a bit misleading. Do they mean what we spent on players or what is available to spend on players? If the latter, who knows what that is outside the club, and why would you share that anyway? We may have spent an 'upper mid-table' amount on players, but that doesn't mean there isn't more money available if needs be. I'm also not convinced that our owners don't have access to significantly more amounts of cash than they let people believe, it's just that they, rightly, want the club to be sustainable. If we need a bit of a push to reach the next level, they have shown that they have been prepared to put more money in to achieve that (Jones, Bostock, keeping Ruben and missing out on a transfer fee). So, if there is someone out there than meets the bill, I think they will move to get them in.

If the price is right then we shouldn't stand in Macca's way. I have a feeling that being a 'bits and pieces' player at the moment isn't helping Morias as the role requires a great understanding with Didzy and Crowely (in particular) which takes time to develop. Macca is a bit special in that he can do this quickly, but I suspect he is more of an exception.

I'm not hugely convinced that we will see a massive difference in the defence unless we can get a really really good CB. The system we play will always result in errors (even PL defences cock up on a regular basis) so we need pace to recover these more or players that are just too good for the standard we play at. Whether we can get someone that fits the bill is a big question.

Hopefully Gosling will come good and stay for the rest of the season, but I get the feeling he sees us as a means to an end rather than a potential club to play for, so a CM is probably still a need.

I don't see a need for a new goalkeeper. Slocombe played well at the weekend and although he has limitations, he is fine for this level. Stone also, but will hopefully improve) and then there is Brooks too.

Sorry Kent magpie. When I titled the thread Budget I edited some of the text to keep it short.Initialy I was refering to the fact that if the club are operating to a budget that has mainly been spent.To upgrade the defence and keeper to hopefully promotion standard a vast amount of cash would need to be invested.If this is the case then we would need to sell to invest to remain on budget .It's only a matter of time before Langdtaff leaves as he will play at a higher level so let's not have a Rodders situation where he leaves for free.I agree with you about Morias , so let's strengthen the defence/ keeper ( both)and give Morias the opportunity to proce he can cut it .Personally I hope the club chooses the balance the books option.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    Sorry Kent magpie. When I titled the thread Budget I edited some of the text to keep it short.Initialy I was refering to the fact that if the club are operating to a budget that has mainly been spent.To upgrade the defence and keeper to hopefully promotion standard a vast amount of cash would need to be invested.If this is the case then we would need to sell to invest to remain on budget .It's only a matter of time before Langdtaff leaves as he will play at a higher level so let's not have a Rodders situation where he leaves for free.I agree with you about Morias , so let's strengthen the defence/ keeper ( both)and give Morias the opportunity to proce he can cut it .Personally I hope the club chooses the balance the books option.
    Brevity is not my strong point. In that case, if the price is right I agree with you.. but keeper would not be a priority for me. A stronger defence in front will help either Stone or Slocombe. I think we should aim for pace in the CBs and cover in CM in case Gosling doesn't make it / stay.

I get a little pen on my phone and 'Edit Post' on my PC, but only on my latest post, which suggests it is time limited.

Ooops - wrong thread!

I think in this case 'budget' means the current wage bill. I don't even think transfer fees come into it. It definitely doesn't mean what a club could potentially spend, because that can change at any moment. Besides, clubs don't want other clubs to know how much money they are prepared to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    I think in this case 'budget' means the current wage bill. I don't even think transfer fees come into it. It definitely doesn't mean what a club could potentially spend, because that can change at any moment. Besides, clubs don't want other clubs to know how much money they are prepared to spend.
    I would bring into that equation not overloading the squad with unwanted players like in the past.

Good post. But would you be confident in Slocombe in goal again for a play off final (or 2 semis) and then facing a penalty shootout?
    Last edited by 1955pie; 27-11-2023 at 05:37 PM.

You can only edit for 5-10 minutes I'm told.

Squad budget = squad wages when talking ranking within the league. Each club obviously has to declare it to the EFL and they in turn inform the clubs of their ranking to allow a barometer of spend.

Notts are not Top 7.

Quote Originally Posted by 1955pie View Post
    Good post. But would you be confident in Slocombe in goal again for a play off final (or 2 semis) and then facing a penalty
    shootout?
    Definitely a no, think we got a dud with Stone, sooner have given Brooks a chance and sooner have had Mair.
    Raddy showed what a difference having a really good keeper can make

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast