+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Match Thread vs. Altrincham 01.05.21 [NL]

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    The fans never do.

On the many threads demanding for NA to be sacked it was amazing how quiet those vocal supporters went when asked who they would replace him with if in charge. Finally after quiet a few attempts one generous poster produced an excellent list and we got the ball rolling with some names. Safe to say IB wasn't suggested.

As I said before easy to fire a manager, harder to hire.
    Laddo if it was easy to hire a manager we would have been in the Super League given how many times we have tried. It is actually somewhat amazing that out of all of them it has only really worked well one and a half times in the last 20 years and whilst some of them were truly awful a number of Ray Trews hires now look quite good in the scheme of things! I am still waiting for the current manager to let us all know what the recruitment style is going to be and where he sees gaps. Given what he said about attacking football when he came in has really not resulted in anything of the sort so far other than some fleeting glimpses in the first half at Torquay and Eastleigh I am not expecting to either. I also wouldn't say that there were "many threads demanding for him to be sacked". The vast majority of fans who wanted to see the back of him were happy to see an orderly change at the end of the season, not what actually transpired although alternate options were few I do agree. I think it was still highly conceivable we would have seen Birchnall at the end of the season regardless of what Ardley achieved this season and they feared missing out on the playoffs and hit the panic button given it appears he was not close to joining Wimbledon as mentioned elsewhere. Its turned out well that.

It is indeed. We've been down that route before.
    And we have gone down that route again...

It is indeed. We've been down that route before.
    The question is, are we going down it again?

I hope not, but that's all it is - hope rather than expectation.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    If this team played the team that got us relegated two years ago, who would win?
    It would be 0-0 after extra time

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsetts_Pie View Post
    It would be 0-0 after extra time
    And still 0-0 after the penalty shootout.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    And still 0-0 after the penalty shootout.

It would still be 0-0 after extra time, a penalty shoot out and a replay.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    It would still be 0-0 after extra time, a penalty shoot out and a replay.
    And when a coin was tossed to decide the outcome, it would land on it's edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    And when a coin was tossed to decide the outcome, it would land on it's edge.
    Possibly because, both keepers fumbled catching it.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    No they don't, not one of them. The only player I noticed who was brave enough to receive the ball and actually turn to face their goal and look for a forward pass was Rodders. Every other player who received the ball with their back to the oppo's goal opted for a safe backward pass.
    On reflection I think JoB tries to make things happen. He is getting on but sometimes rages against the dying of the light with a dribble or a snapshot - he is brave enough to try something.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    On reflection I think JoB tries to make things happen. He is getting on but sometimes rages against the dying of the light with a dribble or a snapshot - he is brave enough to try something.
    It’s about taking responsibility when in receipt of the ball and grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck. I’ve always been a fan of JOB because he always tries to make something happen, is vocal and has drive. JOB and Doyle are the closest we have to animals that Mo Ross refers to for me. However they are the wise old lions now. We need their ten year younger equivalents.

The reason yesterday felt like a default Ardley performance for me is that it was one of those where we were passing the ball waiting for the opposition to make a mistake and leave a gap or opening to which we would capitalise on rather than trying to make something happen.

Anyone who watched the stream will have seen a perfect example of this in the last ten minutes as to what this consists of. Passing the ball around defence and midfield, going sideways slow going forward and then lose the ball on the edge of the opposing teams box because it’s all compacted. Rinse and repeat. How are we going to win a game in the last ten if we do not get the ball into the box? That is the frustrating part. Look at what Torquay did in the last ten against us as to what we should be doing.

Lack of confidence makes it easy to receive the ball and play a safe pass to a team mate so it could be that. On the other hand every player has to be brave and take responsibility when receiving the ball and think what can I do here, am I going to push forward, take a man on, or put the ball in a dangerous area, down the channels, into the box, have a little game of one-twos with a team mate and play through a team.

That’s what I meant on the match thread when I referred to the play being safe and manufactured. That summed up yesterday’s game for me and I don’t think that is how Ian Burchnall and Mo Ross want us to play.

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast