+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: ❔Score, scorers and attendance predictions v Walsall [H] 09.12.2023 [EFL L2]

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    What do you think about booing players before the game starts?
    Totally wrong. It's not something I've heard and it's not something I'd ever do.

Just supporters expressing their emotions?
    Yes, that's exactly what I think it is. That player must have disappointed them and they are showing their displeasure. Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning it. I think it's a very negative thing to do, but some people are like that. They express their anger and disappointment in a way I certainly never would, but I still think they want Notts to win and wouldn't be happy with a defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    But I’m sure we all have regulars around us who only ever seem to voice criticism rather than support, leaving you to wonder why they actually bother coming.
    There are a few like that around me, but I still think the reason they come is because they want to see a Notts win.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    There are a few like that around me, but I still think the reason they come is because they want to see a Notts win.
    It's what the Americans call "Tough love".

Whereas, agreeing with everything the club, manager, owners, players do regardless, and jumping on every and any available bandwagon is what we Brits call, "Tufty love".

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Totally wrong. It's not something I've heard and it's not something I'd ever do.

Yes, that's exactly what I think it is. That player must have disappointed them and they are showing their displeasure. Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning it. I think it's a very negative thing to do, but some people are like that. They express their anger and disappointment in a way I certainly never would, but I still think they want Notts to win and wouldn't be happy with a defeat.
    Interesting! You have split my questions into two separate parts, when in fact the two parts are linked.

'What do you think about booing players before the game starts? Just supporters expressing their emotions?'

Your answer 'Yes, that's exactly what I think it is'. Are they then showing displeasure that they were disappointed in previous games, as the game hasn't even started? I'd rather start a game with a clean sheet for the players and leave any anger and disappointment until the final whistle, depending on the result.

You haven't heard it? Try an England game when Maguire is playing. It's embarrassing and pointless. Can't see in any way how a 'supporter' can act like that.

Your answer 'Yes, that's exactly what I think it is'. Are they then showing displeasure that they were disappointed in previous games, as the game hasn't even started? I'd rather start a game with a clean sheet for the players and leave any anger and disappointment until the final whistle, depending on the result.
    That would be my guess, although as I said I haven't heard anyone boo any of our players before a game at Notts. I also try very hard to start with a clean sheet when doing the player ratings, and base it entirely on what I see in that game. For what it's worth, I wasn't one of those who booed after the final whistle on Saturday even though I thought we were awful.

I only occasionally watch England these days, but it's a bit different because club rivalries might come into play.

There's a pantomime element to it, also group mentality singling out individuals in the 'out-group' as a bonding exercise and - what was always accepted as a core element of the experience until recently - blokes letting off steam from the pressure of work and home that had built up Monday-Friday.

You can't have heroes without villains, joy without pain and so on. If we want genuine passion in the game and a level of emotion that's meaningful, then you can't be selective about it. It's two sides of the same coin.

The way things are going though, English football supporters likely will eventually come to resemble what we saw with the stage managed enthusiasm in sections of the crowd for the host nation at the last World Cup and for North Korea when they were last in it.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    There's a pantomime element to it, also group mentality singling out individuals in the 'out-group' as a bonding exercise and - what was always accepted as a core element of the experience until recently - blokes letting off steam from the pressure of work and home that had built up Monday-Friday.

You can't have heroes without villains, joy without pain and so on. If we want genuine passion in the game and a level of emotion that's meaningful, then you can't be selective about it. It's two sides of the same coin.

The way things are going though, English football supporters likely will eventually come to resemble what we saw with the stage managed enthusiasm in sections of the crowd for the host nation at the last World Cup and for North Korea when they were last in it.
    'You can't have heroes without villains,'

I agree. Just that I see it that Notts are the heroes and the opposition are the villains!

'group mentality singling out individuals in the 'out-group' as a bonding exercise' - probably one of the best definitions of bullying that I have ever read!

'The way things are going though, English football supporters likely will eventually come to resemble what we saw with the stage managed enthusiasm in sections of the crowd for the host nation at the last World Cup and for North Korea when they were last in it' - don't be daft!

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122