+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 26 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast

Thread: King Luke to Swansea

I genuinely wish him well if he does go but I'm not entirely sure what he can achieve there as the Championship without parachute payments gets far harder every year. I suspect they'll finish about where they are now at the end of this season and then he'll be expected to at least get them in the top half of the Championship next season, for that to happen they'll need to not be conceding the amount of goals we were letting in. Also if I was a Swansea fan I wouldn't be buying any tickets for their cup matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Magpie View Post
    Why would he be any different? I think it's bonkers to think he would be. He is a professional coach, not a fan (of any particular club). He's ambitious, we're ambitious and the arrangement worked well to both of our advantages. Now he is going to bigger and better things (and near his family), and good luck to him. We are in a better position than we were too and will be a more attractive proposition as a result, particularly as our last 2 managers were poached by clubs a couple of tiers above us.

I hope our next arrangement is as profitable, but I'll be under no illusions, it is a transactional business arrangement and no more. Once one party or the other believe that the opportunities elsewhere are better the arrangement will end and we will move on again.

Having watched my company screw over hundreds of people at my old site, who loyally worked all hours during the pandemic, I won't criticise anyone for taking an opportunity if it arises. Notts wouldn't blink twice in sacking him if results went against us, so this is just the other side of the coin.
    Thank for I didn’t work for your company, we are not all like that, loyalty sometimes reaps rewards

Quote Originally Posted by TedBovisPie View Post
    That thought crossed my mind as well, takes time to implement his style.
    Implement his style!? 🤣

We’ve been playing his style for the last 2 seasons while he was our assistant to Russell Martin… we have Matt Grimes who is programmed to play ‘his style’. Swansea have been playing this style of football for over a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    ....it's much more of a visceral experience so when someone important walks out mid-contract I think it's much more fun and rewarding to be as petty as possible
    It is for us fans, I agree.. and I hadn't thought of it like that before. You have a very good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Michu View Post
    Implement his style!? 🤣

We’ve been playing his style for the last 2 seasons while he was our assistant to Russell Martin… we have Matt Grimes who is programmed to play ‘his style’. Swansea have been playing this style of football for over a decade.
    Martin and Williams styles are not the same. If you think you're getting a Martin clone, think again

Quote Originally Posted by ladyretfordpie View Post
    I can honestly say I've never felt so gutted at any manager leaving us before as I do if this happens. Not only has he been fantastic with us on the field, I think off the field, he's been superb. I understand why he would want to go to Swansea with him living down there and the big jump in position but hoped he wanted to continue on the journey with Notts. Never the less, I wish him all the best but still in shock
    This. I love what he has done for our club, success, optimism, intelligence and great football for the first time in a long time. Not to mention meadow Lane filling up beyond anything I've ever seen in over 40 years. Got us back in the league with stylish football and what a ballsy call to change goalies at wembly, so good. He always said he was just the custodian,
    I wish him well and will be cheering Swansea on. I trust the Bros to get it right but buckle up for a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I've just posted this on another forum:

Our defence gets a bit of a rough deal because although there have been some shocking individual errors, they are told to play a high risk game. We pass around in our own area and sometimes it goes wrong. When it goes right however, we play through the press and score at the other end. Luke Williams has been in charge for 72 league games. In those 72 games we've scored 172 goals and conceded 89, while amassing 149 points. They are sensational stats and the entertainment has been fantastic.

It was an alien approach to me as a fan of 53 years, but I soon grew to love it.
    Bravo and well put. Sensational indeed. Good luck Luke, will be missed 😢

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    I don't think football fans devote entire lifetimes, limitless time and money, run the full gamut of emotions for transactional business arrangements.....it's much more of a visceral experience so when someone important walks out mid-contract I think it's much more fun and rewarding to be as petty as possible
    Yep, as I said before Eastcoastultra syndrome!

Like the vast majority on here I am a Notts County fan. Always have been, always will be. It's different for managers and players, they are on a career path. All I ask is that when part of that career path is spent at Meadow Lane they give 100% to the cause. Luke Williams did exactly that, so he goes with my sincere thanks and best wishes.

This, exactly. Really well put.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Yep, as I said before Eastcoastultra syndrome!

Like the vast majority on here I am a Notts County fan. Always have been, always will be. It's different for managers and players, they are on a career path. All I ask is that when part of that career path is spent at Meadow Lane they give 100% to the cause. Luke Williams did exactly that, so he goes with my sincere thanks and best wishes.
    Exactly. I don’t buy in to this loyalty crap that some cling too. Like you, whilst any player or coach is with us, if they give 100%, then that’s enough for me.
    I wonder if those who are disappointed with this will be if it turns out that the compensation for his services are fairly significant?
    Tho Bros have shown that they have a good eye for unknowns to become saleable assets.
    In terms of the timing, there really isn’t a good time for a change of manager. Footballers, unlike fans, will just get on with it. It won’t affect our transfer targets. The proof is in the pudding with Macca signing whilst we were managerless…
    We are club on the up… on and off the pitch. This happening is chalk n cheese to what we are used to. My gut is that we will see more of this over the coming years, folk won’t make sense of our biggest assets leaving when the price is right. It’s inevitable.

Page 26 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast