+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 27 of 45 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfers in and out Summer 2023

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Not putting everything at PWs door MA but he is both the public face and the (possibly joint) initial driver of that process
    I'm sure he is, but he can only work within the budget he has available, he hasn't a bottomless budget as we know. I'm sure there any number of striker he would like to sign ,but if Derby can't pay the transfer fee or the wages required he is stuck with fishing around for quality bargains, of which there isn't a great choice as he has said many times in interviews.

I also read one interview where he said, I could pay £300K for s striker, but that would mean I only have the wages for 1 player, not 2 or 3, which restricts his options for building a squad.

Our expectations have to be tempered by reality and trust the guy knows what he is doing within the parameters he is having to work.

How much of his "I've got nowt to spend" is kidology to deter sellers from putting the usual "Derby surcharge" on a player's value?

Both Waggy and Washington looked lively when they came on. I think any more incoming will be freebies or loanees. That will leave him with something to spend in January, should that prove necessary.

Waghorn looked good

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    How much of his "I've got nowt to spend" is kidology to deter sellers from putting the usual "Derby surcharge" on a player's value?
    I suspect that’s very much the case and no bad thing either. There is no way we don’t have money to spend at this level. We’ve shed a lot in terms of wages and, as yet, we haven’t spent anything at all in terms of actual purchases.
    I’m all for avoiding any return to the days of ‘moneybags Derby’ but neither do I want us to be too far off the top by January for a mid season signing to make the difference.
    No one predicted the number of goals McGoldrick’s late addition to the squad was going to bring last season but we are still, imo, lacking a reliable finisher and that’s not doom and gloom...it’s realism.

rA, all too many fans also seem to forget that we may only pay "moderate fees", whatever that amounts to. At L1 my guess would be around half a million which is why we haven't gone for Clarke-Harris.... that plus the rumour that he and PW didn't get on...

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I suspect that’s very much the case and no bad thing either. There is no way we don’t have money to spend at this level. We’ve shed a lot in terms of wages and, as yet, we haven’t spent anything at all in terms of actual purchases.
    I’m all for avoiding any return to the days of ‘moneybags Derby’ but neither do I want us to be too far off the top by January for a mid season signing to make the difference.
    No one predicted the number of goals McGoldrick’s late addition to the squad was going to bring last season but we are still, imo, lacking a reliable finisher and that’s not doom and gloom...it’s realism.
    I didn't say we didn't have money to spend at this level, but Warne is still working within the limits of a business plan, which none of us know the details of. Warne may ahve been trying to avoid fees being pumped up because its Derby on the other hand he may also ahve been telling it like it is, so that fans don't get expecting a player coming in for a significant fee.

It sounds realistic to me that paying £300K plus a wages for striker means there isn't the wages for 2 other players to come in. I think people sometimes forget how we got in this mess in the first place and that David Clowes will have a financially viable business plan and that means tempering expectations somewhat.

Agree MA, unlikely we will spend a fee unless the players is absolutely worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    I didn't say we didn't have money to spend at this level, but Warne is still working within the limits of a business plan, which none of us know the details of. Warne may ahve been trying to avoid fees being pumped up because its Derby on the other hand he may also ahve been telling it like it is, so that fans don't get expecting a player coming in for a significant fee.

It sounds realistic to me that paying £300K plus a wages for striker means there isn't the wages for 2 other players to come in. I think people sometimes forget how we got in this mess in the first place and that David Clowes will have a financially viable business plan and that means tempering expectations somewhat.

Agree MA, unlikely we will spend a fee unless the players is absolutely worth it!
    Just for the record...I didn’t say or suggest you did and I appreciate the sense of your attitude.
    I will however be very surprised if we don’t add a proven goal scorer to the signings already made before the start of the season. I’m also the last person to suggest we go overboard and return to our old ways as far as spending irresponsibly is concerned. I do however doubt that Warne moved down a ‘division’ from Rotherham to just ‘mope’ about in L1 for a couple of seasons or more.

Just for the record...I didn’t say or suggest you did and I appreciate the sense of your attitude.
    I will however be very surprised if we don’t add a proven goal scorer to the signings already made before the start of the season. I’m also the last person to suggest we go overboard and return to our old ways as far as spending irresponsibly is concerned. I do however doubt that Warne moved down a ‘division’ from Rotherham to just ‘mope’ about in L1 for a couple of seasons or more.
    I'd say he had a bigger budget than at Rotherham where he achieved two promotions, and judging by what was achieved last season on a squad virtually thrown together in a few weeks, I expect he won't be moping around League 1 for long!

I hear its likely a Striker will sign this week, not sure if it will be who you class as a "proven goal scorer", I think there will be more goals from Midfielders and Defenders which Warne has alluded to and he thinks he can get more out of Collins and Washington, I wouldn't be surprised if he signs Waghorn as well. Could do well in league 1 for us.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    I'd say he had a bigger budget than at Rotherham where he achieved two promotions, and judging by what was achieved last season on a squad virtually thrown together in a few weeks, I expect he won't be moping around League 1 for long!

I hear its likely a Striker will sign this week, not sure if it will be who you class as a "proven goal scorer", I think there will be more goals from Midfielders and Defenders which Warne has alluded to and he thinks he can get more out of Collins and Washington, I wouldn't be surprised if he signs Waghorn as well. Could do well in league 1 for us.
    Agree about midfield and the CD’s at set pieces, but have to say I’m hoping for better than Waghorn who scored 2 in 38 for Coventry at Championship level over the last two seasons. He’s a decent player but not the finisher/poacher we need imo.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 30-07-2023 at 06:07 PM.

Agree about midfield and the CD’s at set pieces, but have to say I’m hoping for better than Waghorn who scored 2 in 38 for Coventry at Championship level over the last two seasons. He’s a decent player but not the finisher/poacher we need imo.
    Neither, on paper, was Didzy yet look at what he did last season. On Waggy, his Coffintree record doesn't make good reading but I have no idea how they played him. To his strengths or to his weaknesses?

Page 27 of 45 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)