+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 282 of 299 FirstFirst ... 182232272280281282283284292 ... LastLast
Results 2,811 to 2,820 of 2981

Thread: O/T. The Government's handling of Covid

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    The Scots have gas, oil, whisky, water, electricity. Most of which they export. There are a lot of other, similarly sized countries that manage perfectly well and only have some of the resources Scotland has. Why can they manage yet so many people think Scotland would fail?

That was my question. That is still my question. Please don't answer it with a question of your own
    I just have answered it.
    They could survive, but with a huge subtraction of current living standards.

Scotland’s budget deficit ballooned to 22 per cent of economic output in 2020-21, highlighting the scale of the fiscal challenge the country would face if it became independent of the UK anytime soon.
    Forget your free schools and Prescriptions and the other perks.
    So forget EU membership, they don't even come close.

Yes manage, but be prepared to take a massive reduction in living standards?

My soucres say, feck that.
    Do yours? Or is it just wishful thinking on your behalf?

Look at smaller countries like Iceland, Finland, Norway and others. All have similar population sizes to Scotland yet they seem to manage yet you think that "little old Scotland" can't. Why?
    Ah now your changing the basis of your argument. I didn't (I don't know what Thicky has said) say anything about Scotland not being able to exist as an independent country - your right there are plenty of other countries that are smaller that do. But isn't the key word there exist?

You were claiming that Scotland makes a contribution to England which is a big surplus that would power the Scottish economy, that actually isn't the case, any surplus is so small as to be insignificant and depending how one interprets the figures could even be a deficit right now.

You have mentioned Norway - now the thing there is that Norway built up a sovereign wealth fund from its oil and gas, invested for a future when those revenues were no longer on stream, what a contrast with the UK which basically pissed the revenues away, but also allowed private companies a greater share in the profits than Norway did.

Yes it is perfectly feasible for Scotland to become independent, there are some significant costs that will accrue from that, due to losing the sharing of infrastructure costs, setting up a new currency and new bodies to administer various services and of course the thorny question of historical debt payments.

In a way its the Brexit argument in reverse, the UK is experiencing and will continue to experience significant costs and reduction of income due to Brexit, Scotland would suffer more as a result of independence, but hey I guess those at the bottom will be comforted by the mythical sovereignty they have gained.

Jesus lads, the "smaller" countries I mentioned aren't paupers.

Anyway, back to Covid. Just spent 3 days in Bad Sobernheim, Germany. Mask wearing almost non existent in bars and restaurants. >90% in shops.

Jesus lads, the "smaller" countries I mentioned aren't paupers.
    I didn't say they were, but they have had a fair few years to develop to where they are now. IF Scotland had gained independence before the oil and gas boom AND had invested the proceeds wisely as per Norway, your argument might stand up.

However, that doesn't alter the fact that your original premise was that Scotland going independent would cripple England financially, as it contributes more financially than it receives back which it wouldn't and doesn't.

Anyway looks like Johnsons ****ed! I expect after the local elections are a disaster for the Tories he will be removed tout suite!

As you are aware I've just had a 10 day break in England. With regard to mask wearing, still saw the odd few wearing them in the various towns and cities visited.

On the way there, no masks required until we got to security. Posters there saying mask wearing was compulsory. Once through security and passport control we were in the airport proper. 10% mask wearing despite it being a requirement. On the plane the KLM purser said mask wearing on board was advised. Again 10% compliance. Once in the UK not required.

Return journey, no requirement, maybe 5% wearing masks. Back at Schiphol we saw signs saying masks required. Again around 5% compliance, even going through border control where the Marachausee ignored the lack of mask wearing.

What's a marachausee?

As you are aware I've just had a 10 day break in England. With regard to mask wearing, still saw the odd few wearing them in the various towns and cities visited.

On the way there, no masks required until we got to security. Posters there saying mask wearing was compulsory. Once through security and passport control we were in the airport proper. 10% mask wearing despite it being a requirement. On the plane the KLM purser said mask wearing on board was advised. Again 10% compliance. Once in the UK not required.

Return journey, no requirement, maybe 5% wearing masks. Back at Schiphol we saw signs saying masks required. Again around 5% compliance, even going through border control where the Marachausee ignored the lack of mask wearing.
    I'm away at present. mask complianec in East Mids airport nil, but on the flight 99% apart from six dickheads who's behaviour was of the level that makes me embarrassed to be English and hope Hell exists. As a side issue, queues at the destination airport massive, but s Iexplained tothose around me it always has been as its a Schengen issue not an EU issue. Mask compliance in resort nil apart, surprisingly, from the hotel restaurant where not only masks but also gloves have to be worn. This rule is unenforceable in law but the restaurant manager has told us that the staff are under verbal instruction to avoid service to non-compliers (and marachausees)

Not entirely sure mask compliance has much to do with the Government’s handling of things anymore. Had the misfortune to visit ‘Meadowhell’ and IKEA today...about 5% compliance while two recent theatre trips have witnessed much the same and one small gig saw even less.
    The signs thing is a bit of a side issue. Suspect they’re still up because people can’t be bothered to take them down when they might all have to go up again in the autumn...eg, a recent trip to a garage where the need for mask wearing was clearly advertised so I apologised and said I’d get mine from the car. ‘No need for that’, came the reply...‘we just haven’t got round to taking them down yet’.
    How well the next vaccine is rolled out will be the next test of Government as far as Covid is concerned imo...mind you if the Queen’s/future King’s speech is anything to go by, they’ll have solved everything by then...just not telling us how.

Page 282 of 299 FirstFirst ... 182232272280281282283284292 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)