+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 29 of 45 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfers in and out Summer 2023

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I’m aware of all that, GP...and you’ve introduced an awful lot of issues there when I’m only talking about our ability to buy a striker especially in the context of Warne’s stated desire to acquire some pace and us seemingly going backwards in looking at a player like Waghorn.

In the case of Plange...he’s quick, he’s young and his greatest success to date has been at Derby. Beyond that I’m not certain he’s what we want but there does seem to be some difficulty - I have no idea what or why - in attracting what we’re looking for to Derby.
    The issue is the availability of a striker that Warne thinks is good enough, it seems a player he was interested in has gone elsewhere, we don't now whether thats to a league 1 club or possibly a championship club, any number of factors can come into play.

Not sure why you think looking at Waghorn is going backwards - Warne hasn't said he is signing him as yet. But he is local available and presumably could be a useful squad member on acceptable wages, surely considering him is sensible? He isn't being seen as the target striker but as a possible useful addition to the squad.

Anyway there is still a month to go before the transfer window closes.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    It may well be a loan, RS...and that may well be the best way.
    I am a bit confused though. We’ve lost McGoldrick, sold Bielik and Knight, and now there’s talk of Bird going. At the moment the rebuild doesn’t appear to be going to plan. A club the size of Derby should be an attractive proposition. I’m just becoming a tad concerned that we don’t appear to be enticing any ambitious and promising young players in the way we might have expected. Is there a reason?
    Yes the reason is we cant afford to pay the transfer fee and wages required!

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Strikers aren't changing club at the moment. Their clubs haven't got a replacement signed so they aren't letting go. Patience.

I still don't understand why Sibs, Bird and Cash haven't been offered new deals yet as all are in the last season of their contracts. It doesn't make sense to me.
    I would say there are a couple of reasons, the first is that any new contract would be at a higher rate than existing contract, doing that for one never mind all three may well take up all the salary allowance within the business plan. The players know they could get higher wages by moving, they aren't going to sign new contracts unless they are offered ones in line with what they could expect elsewhere.

The other reason is linked, are any of those 3 players going to sign a long term deal, without knowing which division Derby will be playing in next year? Yes they could ask for non promotion clauses but if they go on a free at the end of next season, they can pick up a higher salary for longer at a champ club due there being no transfer fee involved. One can't force a player to sign a new contract especially when the club is limited in the amount it can offer.

So I can see why Derby cannot offer new deals to these players at the moment.

With respect, Swale...even before McGoldrick left you wrote on this thread that we’d need a minimum of eight signings and had us linked with Freddie Ladapo of Ipswich who’s a class above anything we’ve signed up top. What’s changed?

As regards Waghorn. He’s ‘going backwards’ because he’s a potential returnee, will be 34 in January, has done virtually nothing since he left for Coventry and - yes I know it was only a friendly - looked miles off the pace against Stoke. When your own fans start a chant about the unlikelihood of him scoring you know you’re in trouble. He might be a useful (and cheap) addition but he’s no Ladapo or May, who we were also linked with earlier in the summer.

You’re right...the transfer window has a way to go. Unfortunately though, the season starts on Saturday and we don’t seem to have learned from the way our early season ‘dawdles’ cost us - and the manager - last season.

Waghorn looked decent when he came on against Sheff U. Fans were singing sign him up.

[QUOTE=swaledale;40325869]rA, you seem to think we have a free rein to spend whatever? You know of course that the EFL have agreed a business plan with the club? That the plan sets limits on expenditure? So even if £500K doesn't seem much in league 1 and you think we ought to be able to compete with other teams, the fact remains there is a budget within which Warne has to operate.

The club is recovering from going into admin, one year later and you do seem to be forgetting that and expecting the club to be spending money again. Surely you trust Clowes to manage the finances sensibly? Surely you trust Warne to do the best he can within the restrictions that still exist?

We are not back to a situation where the club can spend without consideration and hopefully we don't return to those days.

As GP rightly says none of us actually know what the finances look like, but we do know that the EFL have relaxed restrictions but the club is still under supervision and have to stick to the agreed business plan.[/QUOTE]

Think this is key, we are still under restrictions even if relaxed. I think when it was announced it was relaxed some fans thought we could spend spend spend again. Already seeing on other platforms people moaning its like the Clough/GSE era.

Well if it is ill take that any day over Mels big spending almost destruction of the club days.

You're increasingly sounding like an LDV butcher rA 😄 Don't panic Mr Swale, says he, panicking....

[QUOTE=SithHappens;40325952]
    Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    rA, you seem to think we have a free rein to spend whatever? You know of course that the EFL have agreed a business plan with the club? That the plan sets limits on expenditure? So even if £500K doesn't seem much in league 1 and you think we ought to be able to compete with other teams, the fact remains there is a budget within which Warne has to operate.

The club is recovering from going into admin, one year later and you do seem to be forgetting that and expecting the club to be spending money again. Surely you trust Clowes to manage the finances sensibly? Surely you trust Warne to do the best he can within the restrictions that still exist?

We are not back to a situation where the club can spend without consideration and hopefully we don't return to those days.

As GP rightly says none of us actually know what the finances look like, but we do know that the EFL have relaxed restrictions but the club is still under supervision and have to stick to the agreed business plan.[/QUOTE]

Think this is key, we are still under restrictions even if relaxed. I think when it was announced it was relaxed some fans thought we could spend spend spend again. Already seeing on other platforms people moaning its like the Clough/GSE era.

Well if it is ill take that any day over Mels big spending almost destruction of the club days.
    Sorry if it comes across like that. I know we haven’t got a ‘free rein to spend whatever’, I do trust Clowes to manage the finances responsibly, I do recognise the existence of certain (details unknown) budget restraints and I’m certainly not advocating a return to the days of Morris or even Lionel.

I understand the nonsense of a ‘spend, spend, spend’ strategy and the sense you speak...however so far this summer we’ve spent nothing!
    It’s debatable that we have a better squad than we closed last season with, the season’s opener is imminent and although everything may be altered by the acquisition of an appropriate loanee I still can’t help wondering (not panicking) as to why, as a ‘big club’ and alleged promotion ‘favourites’, we don’t seem to be making the progress envisaged.

We've signed (according to a quick google):
    Curtis Nelson (defender)
    Callum Elder (defender)
    Joe Ward (midfielder)
    Sonny Bradley (defender)
    Josh Vickers (keeper)
    Connor Washington (striker)
    Kane Wilson (defender)

They may not have come with a transfer fee, but there will still be spending involved. Time will tell whether this was good business or whether these players are an improvement.
    Been a long time since we wheeled and dealed, but this is what it looks like. If we spent £750,000 on Washington, £1,000,000 on Bradley, and £350,000 on Wilson, would we be hearing the same concerns? So far, all looks sensible to me, its not about spending, but improving our team, of which time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshank72 View Post
    We've signed (according to a quick google):
    Curtis Nelson (defender)
    Callum Elder (defender)
    Joe Ward (midfielder)
    Sonny Bradley (defender)
    Josh Vickers (keeper)
    Connor Washington (striker)
    Kane Wilson (defender)

They may not have come with a transfer fee, but there will still be spending involved. Time will tell whether this was good business or whether these players are an improvement.
    Been a long time since we wheeled and dealed, but this is what it looks like. If we spent £750,000 on Washington, £1,000,000 on Bradley, and £350,000 on Wilson, would we be hearing the same concerns? So far, all looks sensible to me, its not about spending, but improving our team, of which time will tell.
    Correspondingly...we’ve lost, off the top of my head, eleven of last seasons squad (and wages) in Odurah, Knight, McGoldrick, Stearman, Chester, McGee, Davies, Bielik, White, Springett and Dobbin so, as you say, time will tell. I’m obviously still unconvinced but very much hope I’m wrong or about to be impressed by further additions.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 02-08-2023 at 10:10 AM.

Page 29 of 45 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)