+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Assistant Manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    Spot on Gazan, the same could be said if Kenny Lunt who also played elsewhere (not under Nigel Clough obviously). I think that we as supporters have to recognise the limitations withing the club's financial structure in the absence of a Ryan Reynolds type cove chucking money at us and accept those limitations. Ambition can cover a multitude of aims. Wrexham's ambitions may be the Premier league, ours is to not go the same way as Bury.
    Of course Bury's ambition was similar to Wrexham's but without the Hollywood razzmatazz. Thing is Bury bought their promotion but then couldn't maintain it. Of course they didn't quite have the money to inject like Reynolds etc
    Lots of teams talk big and get nowhere. Some even bring in 'celebrity' managers. How did that go FGR? And who'd have thought Bradford would still be in our division? How many seasons is that now 4 or 5? Their budget must really overpower ours and yet what is the balance of results between the two teams in recent years? I bet Hughes gets multiples of Lee Bell's salary and I believe it was an 'external' appointment. Of course, we can't judge appointments using Thordarson, Hughes and Big Dunc but they do provide a counterbalance when making an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    Of course Bury's ambition was similar to Wrexham's but without the Hollywood razzmatazz. Thing is Bury bought their promotion but then couldn't maintain it. Of course they didn't quite have the money to inject like Reynolds etc
    Lots of teams talk big and get nowhere. Some even bring in 'celebrity' managers. How did that go FGR? And who'd have thought Bradford would still be in our division? How many seasons is that now 4 or 5? Their budget must really overpower ours and yet what is the balance of results between the two teams in recent years? I bet Hughes gets multiples of Lee Bell's salary and I believe it was an 'external' appointment. Of course, we can't judge appointments using Thordarson, Hughes and Big Dunc but they do provide a counterbalance when making an argument.
    Again, spot on. All football clubs are basically the same but their decision making is based on the finance at any given time. We have seen with Financial Fair Play rules being stretched to aid certain clubs at a certain level. It is true that if all clubs were bound by the same constrictions it would level things out. Never gonna happen tho so we carry on regardless and our success will always be relative to the players we bring through. Next couple of years could be decent on that basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    Again, spot on. All football clubs are basically the same but their decision making is based on the finance at any given time. We have seen with Financial Fair Play rules being stretched to aid certain clubs at a certain level. It is true that if all clubs were bound by the same constrictions it would level things out. Never gonna happen tho so we carry on regardless and our success will always be relative to the players we bring through. Next couple of years could be decent on that basis.
    Listen to the Charles grant podcast re fair play rules and regulation. He also gives a good insight into the academy.

Bradford is an interesting example of throwing a huge amount of money at the whole shebang and getting precisely nowhere. Hughes is not popular at all and my guess is he will be gone by Christmas if they are not in the top 4. Mansfield similarly, have achieved nothing despite, reportedly having one of the best budgets in the league.
    Wrexham and Stockport are trying to buy success, which even if they achieve some, will only last until the owners get bored.
    Would I want Hughes or Clough or any other journeyman managing club? Certainly not! Chances are that Ryan Dicker will be our next manager, hopefully when we are riding high in the division above, and Belly is being poached by a top club.

Quote Originally Posted by whosbrianwilson View Post
    Bradford is an interesting example of throwing a huge amount of money at the whole shebang and getting precisely nowhere. Hughes is not popular at all and my guess is he will be gone by Christmas if they are not in the top 4. Mansfield similarly, have achieved nothing despite, reportedly having one of the best budgets in the league.
    Wrexham and Stockport are trying to buy success, which even if they achieve some, will only last until the owners get bored.
    Would I want Hughes or Clough or any other journeyman managing club? Certainly not! Chances are that Ryan Dicker will be our next manager, hopefully when we are riding high in the division above, and Belly is being poached by a top club.
    I wouldn't want Hughes but we could do worse than Clough. However, I am happy with Lee Bell. You are absolutely right about the effects of the benefactor getting bored with the project.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123