+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: OT General Election apathy.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerBill View Post
    These centric globalists that have infested Parliament couldn't care a toss about small business and the working man.Unfortunalely the main opposition will not improve any of these faults.I will not be voting for like for like wannabe MPs.Can anybody name me a state run institution that works in this country?Around 50% of all money spent is on the NHS,we are not getting true value through mismanagement.The General Election turnout will be the lowest for a very long time with all the apathy from homeless voters.
    Which "centric globalists" are these? What is a centric globalist?

"Unfortunalely the main opposition will not improve any of these faults." So in 11 words you have destroyed the credibility of the opposition. I'm a member of the Labour Party. Please tell me why I have been wasting my time and money.

My impression is that the apathy comes from disaffected Tory voters. Perhaps you're one of them. Labour, Lib Dems, Greens etc are far from apathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    Yes, plants need CO2 to grow and increasing levels will increase plant growth (commercial greenhouses often have artificially elevated levels of CO2 in them).

Plants also need water to grow and droughts will stop them (there’s a thread on here about the price of olive oil, which has shot through the roof because of drought and excessive heat in the Mediterranean last year). They also need oxygen to grow and there are worries in the UK about the extent to which the winter cereal crops in the UK have been damaged by effectively being drowned in waterlogged fields during the winter and early spring of this year.

It's important not to confuse weather with climate, but there is a clear trend of rising global temperatures, which will inevitably affect ecosystems and agriculture.

Climate change will also drive human migration, which is a concern of the OP.

And of course, there is another reason to switch to renewables, which is that oil, coal and gas are finite (unless you believe some of the wackier theories that propagate on the internet). That means the price is only going to go one way.
    You’re right about weather and climate change. The climate has changed throughout time and it will continue to do so.

We’re seeing rainfall in the deserts this year unlike we never have seen.

The amount of rain we’ve had in France compared to the last 20 years is incredible. Same here regards the crops.

There is a place for renewable electricity but it should be over a period of time. The legislation alone will not allow it to happen quickly enough in France.

I’m I. Favour of more nuclear but on a smaller scale. I have the good fortune years ago to work on the trident submarine breaking system for their nuclear engines. The technology has been there for years to makes smaller nuclear sites for years.

The heat of the planet is one of contention. They’re said to be using the same measuring points now that they were years ago. If what independent scientists are saying is correct then the points have moved yet the sprawling concret and tarmac has surrounded the measuring stations. That can only lead to higher temperatures being measured.

Al Gore has been saying that we will soon be under water yet although there is more coastal erosion the states like California aren’t under water like he predicted.

Ice ages happen and to be honest when I was at school the fear was that an ice age was arthritis corner. That didn’t happen either.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    You’re right about weather and climate change. The climate has changed throughout time and it will continue to do so.

We’re seeing rainfall in the deserts this year unlike we never have seen.

The amount of rain we’ve had in France compared to the last 20 years is incredible. Same here regards the crops.

There is a place for renewable electricity but it should be over a period of time. The legislation alone will not allow it to happen quickly enough in France.

I’m I. Favour of more nuclear but on a smaller scale. I have the good fortune years ago to work on the trident submarine breaking system for their nuclear engines. The technology has been there for years to makes smaller nuclear sites for years.

The heat of the planet is one of contention. They’re said to be using the same measuring points now that they were years ago. If what independent scientists are saying is correct then the points have moved yet the sprawling concret and tarmac has surrounded the measuring stations. That can only lead to higher temperatures being measured.

Al Gore has been saying that we will soon be under water yet although there is more coastal erosion the states like California aren’t under water like he predicted.

Ice ages happen and to be honest when I was at school the fear was that an ice age was arthritis corner. That didn’t happen either.

It is a subject that requires proper debate, I think Al gore has been sprouting crap for over 20 years and a man that used computer generated clip taken from Day After Tomorrow as evidence in his documentary and has made a personal fortune in the $bs is not someone that we should be listening to. Renewable energy sounds like a great idea, but when the German government includes wood in that and cuts down trees and pays Americans to cut down trees and ship them over to Germany in huge oil powered tankers, then I think we are right to ask questions on what is really going on. It is always the old saying ask "who benefits?" and then take it from there.

You can always rent a car! What is the reason for owning one?
    You can rent everything. Don’t forget that most on here will remember putting a ten bob piece in the back of a tv.
    Some rent houses.

You can own nothing and be happy just by renting 🥳 !
    A good point Frog, and the UK Govt actually published a very good document on Urban Mobility a few years back, which talked about things like if we replaced every private petrol car with an EV we'd still have rubbish traffic and overuse of resources so let's use the transition away from fossil fuels to do things in a different way - lift sharing, smaller private transport modes, car clubs, nicer walking paths etc. Then they did nothing with it and instead starting making it a much more blunt and politicised issue. A missed opportunity.

The WEF don't even want people to own the clothes on their backs.

"Welcome to the year 2030. Welcome to my city - or should I say, “our city”. I don’t own anything. I don’t own a car. I don’t own a house. I don’t own any appliances or any clothes."

https://medium.com/world-economic-fo...r-ee2eed62f710

Quote Originally Posted by mygiddypant View Post
    Which "centric globalists" are these? What is a centric globalist?

"Unfortunalely the main opposition will not improve any of these faults." So in 11 words you have destroyed the credibility of the opposition. I'm a member of the Labour Party. Please tell me why I have been wasting my time and money.

My impression is that the apathy comes from disaffected Tory voters. Perhaps you're one of them. Labour, Lib Dems, Greens etc are far from apathetic.
    Giddy,who ever is voted in and it looks like it's going to be Labour,nothing will change.We will have the same overpaid,underachieving useless top civil servants at Whitehall, that are actually in charge of running the country making all the mistakes.This top brass never lose their jobs through failure and a new govt. never has the guts to sack and replace these wasters.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    The WEF don't even want people to own the clothes on their backs.

"Welcome to the year 2030. Welcome to my city - or should I say, “our city”. I don’t own anything. I don’t own a car. I don’t own a house. I don’t own any appliances or any clothes."

https://medium.com/world-economic-fo...r-ee2eed62f710
    ..................but you'll be happy!

Election apathy is certainly amongst us but it is certainly interesting to know that EVERY party leaves football out of the debate (other than turning up to matches to support a team just to show that they are all ''people'' of the people!) Debates around the cost of living,food banks,rich bankers,selfish w*nkers,awful employers and rich CEO's will carry on and on.But no one dare debate the morality of the salary of a Premier League footballer.Political suicide would commence under our very eyes! It seems that society deems that they are the only people allowed to be rich........along with X Factor winners,pop stars and lottery winners.I guess the public gets what the public wants!
    Last edited by Jimmy Badfellow; 07-06-2024 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by harpo88 View Post
    A good point Frog, and the UK Govt actually published a very good document on Urban Mobility a few years back, which talked about things like if we replaced every private petrol car with an EV we'd still have rubbish traffic and overuse of resources so let's use the transition away from fossil fuels to do things in a different way - lift sharing, smaller private transport modes, car clubs, nicer walking paths etc. Then they did nothing with it and instead starting making it a much more blunt and politicised issue. A missed opportunity.
    Do you not see a problem with that?

...Al Gore has been saying that we will soon be under water yet although there is more coastal erosion the states like California aren’t under water like he predicted...

Name:  Liberty 2017.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  76.8 KB

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast