+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't want Royal Mail

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    My concern is that selling the shares to yet another foreigner is not a sensible thing to do. What assets are being sold, what liabilities might be dumped on tax payers. Smart financial manoeuvres run rings round commonsense, imo. Look at the state of water companies. The profits they make are tiny compared to the cost of of rebuilding or renewing Victorian facilities.
    I am fed up of financial chicanery making millions for bosses to the detriment of us all. The unions have to change their approach imo. Hoping that a Labour Government will make things better is very unlikely to work out and I don't think moving over to Farage will be successful either.
    It is the Royal Mail shareholders who will receive the money handed over to purchase Royal Mail. If Royal Mail had recently required substantial new funding they would have had a ‘right issue’ with their existing shareholders having the opportunity to purchase more shares in Royal Mail.

The point I am trying to get across is to bring the value of the assets owned by Royal Mail into the equation and the liabilities for pension arrangements. What if the replacement value of the assets employed in Royal Mail was £15bn? Why should some foreign rich person pay £4bn for the shares and then dismantle the Royal Mail by selling off the assets. Private profit made from public asset stripping.

Similarly look at the pension liabilities. If the new owners are not responsible for these liabilities why should some smart financial trickery be allowed to avoid the liabilities and destroy the value of the pensions of those who have paid into the fund?

Hoping that the Labour Government will stop this sale. We are sleep walking into poverty by allowing British businesses to be sold to foreign owners. Beginning of the end when Hargreaves Landsdown PLC and AJ Bell start bleating about lack of money for them to invest. They want new rules to allow them to get their hands on £30bn of cash savings.

Posties need to explain why they need to be employed. Strike action and militancy will get them nowhere, imo. The privatisation of public utilities has not worked out over the longer term. Water companies, struggling because of the failure to understand that regulation of prices is not a substitute for the sound business practices needed to genherate profits to replace assets that were built over 100 years ago.

Trade Union leaders need to try to win arguments by persuading the general public to side with them rather than the bosses, BUT, they have to deliver change, rather than higher salaries, imo.

Trains are in trouble too. General population, 25% WFH. Who wants to commute when you can save a few £ooo's on travel costs and many hours of miserable commuting time?

On the bright side of things the best team in the Euros won, no amount of hype changed that and it looks like Lineker might have overstepped the mark with his criticism of Engerlund.

Hoping that the Labour Government will stop this sale. We are sleep walking into poverty by allowing British businesses to be sold to foreign owners. Beginning of the end when Hargreaves Landsdown PLC and AJ Bell start bleating about lack of money for them to invest. They want new rules to allow them to get their hands on £30bn of cash savings.

Posties need to explain why they need to be employed. Strike action and militancy will get them nowhere, imo. The privatisation of public utilities has not worked out over the longer term. Water companies, struggling because of the failure to understand that regulation of prices is not a substitute for the sound business practices needed to genherate profits to replace assets that were built over 100 years ago.

Trade Union leaders need to try to win arguments by persuading the general public to side with them rather than the bosses, BUT, they have to deliver change, rather than higher salaries, imo.

Trains are in trouble too. General population, 25% WFH. Who wants to commute when you can save a few £ooo's on travel costs and many hours of miserable commuting time?

On the bright side of things the best team in the Euros won, no amount of hype changed that and it looks like Lineker might have overstepped the mark with his criticism of Engerlund.
    In my opinion there is no need for a Saturday delivery of mail by the posties.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    In my opinion there is no need for a Saturday delivery of mail by the posties.
    I agree. It needs a bit of commonsense to sort it out. No Saturday working might mean no overtime hours and it could have a big impact on wages. Bound to be a postie on here who can put us straight!

I agree. It needs a bit of commonsense to sort it out. No Saturday working might mean no overtime hours and it could have a big impact on wages. Bound to be a postie on here who can put us straight!
    Agree no need for Saturday letter deliveries, they reckon they could save £300 million by taking it out

Companies don't exist to give employees loads of overtime and to make those employees rich. When people sign contracts of employment it's for 37.5 or 40 or whatever hours per week at a given rate of compensation. If that's not enough for them and they need more money from that employment they're in the wrong job.

Ban overtime and employ enough people to fill capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    Companies don't exist to give employees loads of overtime and to make those employees rich. When people sign contracts of employment it's for 37.5 or 40 or whatever hours per week at a given rate of compensation. If that's not enough for them and they need more money from that employment they're in the wrong job.

Ban overtime and employ enough people to fill capacity.
    But we know that overtime rates are higher than the basic rate. Getting people to take a pay cut is impossible, imo. I agree with the basic principle you use about an set number of hours per week. The problem seems to be how do you change pay structures when you have large organisations with long held traditional union arrangements.
    I think the unions need to change their thinking. It's a bit like the SNP blamed Westminster for every difficulty they faced. Seems to me unions have allowed themselves to be manipulated by bosses so that the bosses, SNP, blame the Unions, Westminster, as being the cause of all the problems.

Is it the same in every industry in Beitain? Not ever worked in an organisation that had a union, so I am genuinely interested.

I enclose an article from the STV news website about the delivery of mail to remote parts of Scotland. https://news.stv.tv/highlands-island...inner-hebrides

But we know that overtime rates are higher than the basic rate. Getting people to take a pay cut is impossible, imo. I agree with the basic principle you use about an set number of hours per week. The problem seems to be how do you change pay structures when you have large organisations with long held traditional union arrangements.
    I think the unions need to change their thinking. It's a bit like the SNP blamed Westminster for every difficulty they faced. Seems to me unions have allowed themselves to be manipulated by bosses so that the bosses, SNP, blame the Unions, Westminster, as being the cause of all the problems.

Is it the same in every industry in Beitain? Not ever worked in an organisation that had a union, so I am genuinely interested.
    Like most professionals I work extra hours but don't get paid at all for them, without unions and their fascination with collective bargaining maybe workers who wanted to could agree higher rates for themselves tied into an expectation that they do longer but more flexible hours?

I've worked in one place where there was a union - there was no union when I started there but then some trouble makers insisted on introducing one and forced a vote. The place went from a good place to work to one I couldn't wait to get away from. For me unions should be banned, they're good for onion officials but not for workers or employers. I actually joined that union and went to two all hands meetings. I heard the Shop Steward say 'we think' more than once when referring to everyone. It seemed that what he thought was what we all had to think - as someone with a mind of my own I couldn't accept that so left the union. Let's just say I've done a fair bit better since then than the sheep who followed that Shop Steward.

Union officials are not manipulated by management, they conspire with management to protect themselves and to hell with their members.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)