+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Southgate Appeals to England Fans

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    Guardiola has said he would like to manage an international team but that it was 'unlikely to be Spain.' Perhaps got something to do him being such a strong supporter of independence for Catalunya.

I've posted before I can see a scenario where Southgate leaves after the Euros and Pep having won everything at City thinks it's time for a new challenge. Fingers crossed.
    Why is Pep so highly rated? He’s been at Barca, Bayern and City where they really were short on the cash? to buy titles (although bayern not so much). I think his high profile name and experience can make a difference but he’s not guaranteed to be a success? Keen to hear what you all think.

Quote Originally Posted by regis80 View Post
    Why is Pep so highly rated? He’s been at Barca, Bayern and City where they really were short on the cash? to buy titles (although bayern not so much). I think his high profile name and experience can make a difference but he’s not guaranteed to be a success? Keen to hear what you all think.
    I don’t disagree mate but for me it’s not just about the money he has to spend, it’s the type of player he buys to fit his system/s.

Let’s be honest here, did any of us think the Rihad Mahrez was a Man City player after one decent season at Leicester?

He’s bought players who I thought were pretty average and they’ve slotted in beautifully and he’s changed systems and it’s still run like a well oiled machine.

I think it adds to a player when a manager with the aura and playing style of Guardiola take over, it gives that extra 1% needed at crucial moments.

Quote Originally Posted by regis80 View Post
    Agreed no one is 'guaranteed' he's just the nearest thing to it.As regards the money City are only the 6th biggest spenders in the last 5 years. About half of United

For me he gets the absolute best out of a player and improves him or he gets rid. Grealish being a recent example.

No one 'messes' with him.

He innovates. Now everyone wants to play the Pep way. Even those who can't.

He's a winner.
    Last edited by 9goals2hattricks3pen; 14-09-2023 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    I don’t disagree mate but for me it’s not just about the money he has to spend, it’s the type of player he buys to fit his system/s.

Let’s be honest here, did any of us think the Rihad Mahrez was a Man City player after one decent season at Leicester?

He’s bought players who I thought were pretty average and they’ve slotted in beautifully and he’s changed systems and it’s still run like a well oiled machine.

I think it adds to a player when a manager with the aura and playing style of Guardiola take over, it gives that extra 1% needed at crucial moments.

100% agree with you Mick. I thought Greasy Jack was a good player but not a top four one but he’s flying at City!

Look at Man Utd - they have spent absolute millions in comparison but on utter garbage!!

In the last 5 seasons net spend at City is £2 million more than our friends from Witton

In the last 5 seasons net spend at City is £2 million more than our friends from Witton

Exactly!! Good clubs with fantastic recruitment staff can find brilliant players for the money - look no further than Brighton or Brentford. Not been any notable flops at City but look at the absolute s hite recruited by Man U including Maguire, Anthony plus players past it like Ronaldo and Casemiro!

Look at the absolute garbage at West Brom to the tune of 60 million plus - Grant - Grady - Zohorse - Dike - Burke! The list goes on!

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Exactly!! Good clubs with fantastic recruitment staff can find brilliant players for the money - look no further than Brighton or Brentford. Not been any notable flops at City but look at the absolute s hite recruited by Man U including Maguire, Anthony plus players past it like Ronaldo and Casemiro!

Look at the absolute garbage at West Brom to the tune of 60 million plus - Grant - Grady - Zohorse - Dike - Burke! The list goes on!
    Totally agree with you about our shocking recruitment-though I'm still reserving judgement on Dike. Have we splashed out on yet another injury prone lump or has he just been exceptionally unlucky picking up that Achilles injury? By all accounts he has demonstrated a good attitude throughout his treatment and is involved with the first team and game preparations. Guess we will only really know more once he is recovered enough to start playing again which will possibly be early December. His previous outings were a bit of a mixed bag and whilst he showed glimpses of what he can do I always thought he didn't look fully recovered from the thigh injury. Certainly needs to do better when he does return (well, I can hope &#128512.

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post

I've no doubt City do have an excellent recruitment team but I wouldn't mind betting no manager in the Prem has a bigger say in who joins and who goes than Guardiola.

But it's not just the recruitment it's the way makes players better. Grealish we've talked about but who saw tough tackling John Stones as a midfield maestro? Not me. I watched a game end of last season where I was shocked by just how much of the play went through him.

And then there's the way his teams play. Starting with Barca then into international football, Prem teams, The Albion, Women's football all want to play the Pep way.

Has any one man changed the way football is played even close to Pep. Not in my time!

I've no doubt City do have an excellent recruitment team but I wouldn't mind betting no manager in the Prem has a bigger say in who joins and who goes than Guardiola.

But it's not just the recruitment it's the way makes players better. Grealish we've talked about but who saw tough tackling John Stones as a midfield maestro? Not me. I watched a game end of last season where I was shocked by just how much of the play went through him.

And then there's the way his teams play. Starting with Barca then into international football, Prem teams, The Albion, Women's football all want to play the Pep way.

Has any one man changed the way football is played even close to Pep. Not in my time!
    Very well put, I couldn’t agree more.

Actually I think Wenger started the revolution

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)